Sign in to follow this  
Fleahead

P2A With MSFS2020 in VR Mode

I've got my MSFS2020 CRJ working very nicely with P2A, MCE, and the new Navigraph Navdata Center (Beta). I am using the HP Reverb G2 VR headset, which is a big step forward for VR. 

Here's my setup:

*  FSUIPC7 (currently free) Required for P2A

*  Multi Crew Experience (MCE) I'm using this for the 1st Officer functions, other than the radios.

*  P2A mainly for all radio functions

*  Navigraph Navdata Center (BETA) This requires a Navigraph Pro License subscription... pricey but worth it.

*  Amazon Polly AWS Service for additional Voices for P2A and MCE. I never heard of this before, but check out Clumsy's excellent video Here. He also has a link on installing the service. It's not exactly easy to get setup, but if I can do it, anyone can. It's a subscription service, but it's ridiculously cheap. Something like $4 for a couple million words and the first year is free.

*  Microsoft Mixed Reality Portal - Required for the HP Reverb G2 headset.

The order of launching the add-ons is very important to be successful. Here's how I setup my flights:

1)  I load up MSFS and position the CRJ (this should work with any A/C), at the airport and gate I want. Be sure to turn off all the ATC options in MSFS.

2)  Load up FSUIPC7 - nothing else needs to be done in FSUIPC7. This is just used as P2A's communication link to the CRJ. 

3)  Load the Navigraph Navdata Center - (Optional)

4)  Load MCE - If you don't use MCE, I guess it's not really necessary, but it is very difficult to operate this A/C alone. MCE does a great job as a co-pilot, but has numerous other functions that adds a lot of realism to a flight. There are a few specific options in MCE that must be set in order for MCE to play nice with P2A, namely leaving the ATC option ON, but changing the ATC source to "OTHER".

5)  Load P2A - Push the CONNECT button and if it turns green, then you are connected thru FSUIPC7 to the A/C OK.

6)  Create and load the Flight Plan as you normally would.

7)  Note: Up to this point, my default sound devices (playback/microphone) has been my TrackIR headset. That's how I'm able to test my communications before going into VR mode. 

8)  Launch Windows Mixed Reality. Your Sound defaults will automatically switch to the VR headset devices in both MCE and P2A , so put on the VR headset and push whatever key/button you have to enable VR in MSFS. 

OK, so now we have our first dilemma. The P2A panel is not visible in the VR cockpit without peeking under the headset mask to see the desktop. (MCE is not visible, either, but it is not necessary to see it to use it.) This is a big problem for me, mainly because I need to see the instructions from ATC. I can hear them OK, but in the real world, pilots have to ability to jot down ATC instructions on a clipboard like heading, altitude, transponder code... everything that my memory is too short to handle. It would sure be nice if the folks at P2A would devise some way to add the P2A panel into the VR window like other devs have done. At the very least, there is a need to have the ATC messages someplace to view and refer to.

I'm hoping that some P2A people might see this and have a solution, or if anyone out there might have an idea, please share.

Jim in Ohio

i9 - RTX-3080 - 32G - HP Reverb G2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Core i9-10850K Gen10 - RTX3080 - 32G - HP Reverb G2 WMR

You just need one of the many programs available that allow you to see 2D windows in VR and use that to bring P2A into the cockpit.

I use the STEAM VR OVRDrop program with my Windows Mixed Reality headset, but there are others out there that do the same thing.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Ideally, what I'm looking for is the text that is displayed in the P2A panel "Recent" box. Is there anyway that just the whole Recent Dialog box could be detached from the P2A panel then moved into VR?

SayIt Plus provides a standalone window that can be sized to display mostly just the text.

I haven't tried bringing that window into VR by itself, but it's just a window so it might work.

Dave

Thank-you Sir... I'll check it out. So far, what I'm finding out is that options are rather limited for doing what I want to do when using WMR. It is possible to bring 2d windows into VR using WMR's "Follow Me" function, but it gets complicated when using the mouse between the desktop window and the VR window. It still might work for me though, since I don't need to use the mouse in the desktop as I'm only viewing the text. I have tried it, however, and it does work. If I can resize the panel somehow to just mainly see the ATC text, I'll be happy.

Does Pilot2ATC have a means to make suggestions or request features such as I am doing here, or is this the place to do it?

On 7/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, Fleahead said:

I've got my MSFS2020 CRJ working very nicely with P2A, MCE, and the new Navigraph Navdata Center (Beta). I am using the HP Reverb G2 VR headset, which is a big step forward for VR. 

Here's my setup:

*  FSUIPC7 (currently free) Required for P2A

*  Multi Crew Experience (MCE) I'm using this for the 1st Officer functions, other than the radios.

*  P2A mainly for all radio functions

*  Navigraph Navdata Center (BETA) This requires a Navigraph Pro License subscription... pricey but worth it.

*  Amazon Polly AWS Service for additional Voices for P2A and MCE. I never heard of this before, but check out Clumsy's excellent video Here. He also has a link on installing the service. It's not exactly easy to get setup, but if I can do it, anyone can. It's a subscription service, but it's ridiculously cheap. Something like $4 for a couple million words and the first year is free.

*  Microsoft Mixed Reality Portal - Required for the HP Reverb G2 headset.

The order of launching the add-ons is very important to be successful. Here's how I setup my flights:

1)  I load up MSFS and position the CRJ (this should work with any A/C), at the airport and gate I want. Be sure to turn off all the ATC options in MSFS.

2)  Load up FSUIPC7 - nothing else needs to be done in FSUIPC7. This is just used as P2A's communication link to the CRJ. 

3)  Load the Navigraph Navdata Center - (Optional)

4)  Load MCE - If you don't use MCE, I guess it's not really necessary, but it is very difficult to operate this A/C alone. MCE does a great job as a co-pilot, but has numerous other functions that adds a lot of realism to a flight. There are a few specific options in MCE that must be set in order for MCE to play nice with P2A, namely leaving the ATC option ON, but changing the ATC source to "OTHER".

5)  Load P2A - Push the CONNECT button and if it turns green, then you are connected thru FSUIPC7 to the A/C OK.

6)  Create and load the Flight Plan as you normally would.

7)  Note: Up to this point, my default sound devices (playback/microphone) has been my TrackIR headset. That's how I'm able to test my communications before going into VR mode. 

8)  Launch Windows Mixed Reality. Your Sound defaults will automatically switch to the VR headset devices in both MCE and P2A , so put on the VR headset and push whatever key/button you have to enable VR in MSFS. 

OK, so now we have our first dilemma. The P2A panel is not visible in the VR cockpit without peeking under the headset mask to see the desktop. (MCE is not visible, either, but it is not necessary to see it to use it.) This is a big problem for me, mainly because I need to see the instructions from ATC. I can hear them OK, but in the real world, pilots have to ability to jot down ATC instructions on a clipboard like heading, altitude, transponder code... everything that my memory is too short to handle. It would sure be nice if the folks at P2A would devise some way to add the P2A panel into the VR window like other devs have done. At the very least, there is a need to have the ATC messages someplace to view and refer to.

I'm hoping that some P2A people might see this and have a solution, or if anyone out there might have an idea, please share.

Jim in Ohio

i9 - RTX-3080 - 32G - HP Reverb G2

download OVR toolkit from steam, it allows you to set up "tablets" or screens in the sim in vr for instance if you use foreflight you can use a mirroring program to mirror the app on your tablet to your pc then use ovr to project the virtual tablet in the sim. you can tyhen attach that virtual tablet to your controller in sim and look at it whenever you need it

• Like 1

also since the last ovr update using the controllers to interact with foreflight and p2atc or any window works just fine, you cant see the controllers in wmr and msfs but personally i like that. if you need help setting it up id be happy to.

Thanks Blast3d. I'll check that out right now. 

On 7/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Blast3d said:

if you need help setting it up id be happy to.

Maybe I should have made one thing clear from the start, but I don't use the Steam version MSFS2020. My MSFS2020 is from the Microsoft Store and I'm using the HP Reverb G2 headset running WMR. It appears to me that the OVR Toolbox is intended for Steam users. Am I mistaken?

Using SteamVR is possible no matter if you use Steam or MS Store version of the sim. However, G2 is not performing well with SteamVR.

I use WMR and the "Follow Me" option to bring the desktop into VR. To make the desktop in the cockpit smaller I change dedktop resolution to a smaller on (e.g. 1280x720). When I cockpit i disable the "Follow Me" mode with my VR controller and the desktop stays in one place (on my virtual knees). I have keyboard shortcuts defined in FSUIPC, assigned to the buttons on my yoke, allowing me to minimize and de-minimize the sim window on the desktop, which allows me enabling the mouse. I fly mostly GA planes and I have homemade button-box, so I don't need to use the mouse in the sim when flying.

Edited by Steku

22 hours ago, Steku said:

I use WMR and the "Follow Me" option to bring the desktop into VR. To make the desktop in the cockpit smaller I change dedktop resolution to a smaller on (e.g. 1280x720). When I cockpit i disable the "Follow Me" mode with my VR controller and the desktop stays in one place

I use pretty much the same method and it works well - even better for me after SU5, as VR is much more stable.

However, I would prefer a more VR friendly front end, but I don't think Dave will be doing any major overhauls any time soon.

Ideally the core logic and operation stay the same, but all visual outputs and interactions can be output to separate, web based, screens - so, you have a screen showing your flight plan, one for map related, one for interactions, etc. These could then be opened, sized and placed as required. Web based means they have a very small overhead, require no special tools to make them available within the sim or VR, and they can be easily added to the toolbar. How about it @Dave-Pilot2ATC?😉 I am a developer of web based software (mainly PHP but I know my way around Visual Studio) and would happily give up some spare time (FOC) to get this off the ground?😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Generally I prefer having the entire desktop in VR. I can control my entire PC from it, access any file I want. I can have several charts open in the pdf viewer, checklists, any other apps I want and even OneNote allowing me doing handwritten notes with my Wacom graphics tablet and pen - the same way I make notes when flying in the real world.

Edited by Steku

Each to their own. I can see why that would be advantageous. I am mainly interested in reducing the overhead to prevent stutters, etc.  Though this is not so much of an issue after SU5.

It's also a bit of a pain opening WMR, opening the desktop  - it always defaults to the wrong screen! (I run 2 x 4K 32 inch but set the second screen to 1080p before simming) - and then resizing and positioning it...etc, etc. I would love to just click on the toolbar and have the window open where it was last time.

It works great though and my small peeves don't stop me enjoying it!

• Like 1