Sign in to follow this  
sluihn

Manual Cache Creation... weird behavior don't fret it works

Just an FYI....   So i do what i always do when there's an update,  clear Community Folder yada yada yada... But I always delete the previously created Manual Cache I made for my hometown. I do this so if any updates  with the Bing maps would be represented in our new sim, i have the latest image. There I am at 12 midnight painting my new Manual Cache to only the highest level for the areas i fly and want to see in vivid detail the most.  and I name the file ( input hometown airport or city here ) and press create.   I am a patient person, its  1 o'clock am now,  Wife and dog asleep. I thought so , the sim kinda just sits there, noticed it not doing anything. After 60 minutes, i check the task menu to see if MSFS2020 is even alive. It is not,  next to flight simulator title is something to the affect  "not responding"... i hit the cancel button and then i wait another few minutes before the sim reacts. And I am returned to menu selection. In the time i thought sim was dead, it was actually working (15 percent saved) and right there was a RESUME BUTTON and now i resume its 2 am.   So I recheck Task Menu Services and it shows Flight Simulator is not responding in RED letters. I decide to open Process Lasso and find Sim is not dead, Flight sim is bumping right along. The program was not using a lot of resources 5 or 6 percent of CPU  8 or 9 percent Memory... but every fifteen or so minutes the blue led datadisk light would flicker like mad for 5 minutes and ten minutes later...  I return to the Sim... the Manual Cache is now at 20 percent. This was a slow process (for a large area)  but it worked as advertised.   The results were breathe taking Flying over my favorite Metro completely stutter free.   So if you are not afraid of lost sleep I do this kind of process after midnight I get much better DL results, I think it is Highly recommended. YMMV

Steve 

Wait. You were able to paint the manual cache area, without the cursor moving without your input? Asobo broke that last fall, and they don’t seem to be interested in fixing it.

Yes. I hold right Mouse  button and paint an area did whole metro all high quality turned into 28 gigs took all night to download but it works... 

Steve

Concerning the manual cache I would like to see the whole thing rewritten at some stage as it is very archaic in my view. you have to zoom in VERY close to select the highest res (cannot select high res from a distance), then as one moves around to enlarge the area, the initial areas seem to move their boundaries and it seems like a fight against the software to end up with what you first intended. Perhaps I am being petty or getting something wrong.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

5 hours ago, sluihn said:

Yes. I hold right Mouse  button and paint an area did whole metro all high quality turned into 28 gigs took all night to download but it works... 

Steve

This is what I mean. It's still broken.

• Like 1

Okay... yes the blue painted area moved around,  that is true.   But work the problem... Just repostioned the highlighted area to where it location was suppose to be and created.   These kind of fixes will come later.... I can barely finish a flight before vc runtime error shuts me down... fix this kinda word not allowed first.   This sim is about to be deleted,  way too much frustration just trying to enjoy it.  Topic for another post.  

Cheers

Steve

It moves while you try to reposition… You’re left wondering what areas it will actually download.

You don’t have to recreate with each update, they aren’t likely to update the photogrammetry anywhere near that fast. Most of it is from 5 to 6 years old.

For that and the VC runtime CTD, I would encourage you to create Zendesk reports.

It’s worth a shot to create a thread about the VC runtime thing here, maybe someone can help you.

I agree, some of these bugs are getting frustrating.

• Like 1