Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Experience with FSX and brand new computer

holy moly..you get 10-15 FPS on medium low setting with that system? And here I am waiting for a better system to come out before going to FSX! sigh

Well I have a 4 year old setup (AMD XP 1800+, 1GB Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb) and it runs fsx without tweaks fairly well. I have my fps locked at 40 fps and also reach them in rural areas. The sim is very smooth, in fact it is smoother than fs9 on the same setup (nearly no stutters).I must say if I max all the sliders and go to seattle for instance the performance is absolutely unplayable and I get barely 1 fps.You see there is a very wide performance margin in the sim. To get the performance I mentioned above I had to set my settings to this: turn of bloom and selfshadowing of a/c's, Scenery detail radius all the way to the left, weather settings middle low and no traffic. I only fly the ga planes and helicopters in good weather conditions and get very smooth performance and still decent graphics. See screenshot below.cheers,C.G.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167671.jpg

Guest FxF3

FSX was the first flight Sim I have really enjoyed from Microsoft. Yes the FPS can be a pain at times but I have learned to deal with it. Like switching views if it starts to slow down. When taking of from an airport like RJTT I just switch to the control tower view and watch my plane take off that way.:) I also watch this great forum for tips tweaks and hints and help. Somebody will always help you out here.

>Fellow simmers,>>I just bought a brand new notebook from Dell, and used it for>the first time yesterday. I also ordered a copy of FSX Deluxe>with my system.>>Here are my specs:>- XPS M1710, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400>(2.16GHz/667MHz/4MB)>- 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 677MHZ,2 DIMM, for XPS>M1710>- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX, for XPS M1710>- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English>>The installation defaulted most of my display settings to>medium on the slider, but autogen and AI traffic were>automatically set very low. My FPS was right at 15, but with>blurry textures and little detail. I then slid everything to>the right, just to see what happens, and FPS went down to 5 or>lower. Based on what I've read in the forum, I was not>surprised.>>I did not activate my FSX and uninstalled it. My ultimate>goal is to use it in a brand new high-end desktop in the near>future, but it looks like it has a long way to go, and the>technology to be able to fly with decent FPS with sliders on>the right seems not be available yet.>>I'll go back to my FS9 on my current XPS desktop, which works>like a charm with plenty of add-ons.>>Cheers!>>Luis>KMIAAn 8800 video card should make a nice difference.

>Sparse Autogen in FSX is equivalent to Dense in FS9. I don't see how that can be true. Try setting autogen to maximum in both FSX and FS9, then go fly over central park NY. You will find FS9 has MANY more building than FSX. Many more. As to the peformance, there are few keys to getting it balanced with image quality. For one thing make sure water is not above low 2.x. If I move water to the far right, I have seen it drop from 27fps to 17, even if there is no water ib sight. I'm running about 23-27fps in this shot, and I only have a single core AMD @ 2.8Ghz. http://sio.midco.net/111lll/fsx%202007-01-...05-56-25-68.jpgI used the seetings seen below, and it works great. http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/w/images/1/1a/Fsxscenery.jpgIn addition I set global texture resolution to maximum and light bloom off on the graphics tab, as light bloom is a killer.On the aircraft tab I set aircraft self shadows off, and I turn off all traffic to save CPU cycles. I have also done the cfg tweaks from the guide below, with the exception of the autogen density tweak in the cfg. I did not do either of the autogen tweaks in this guide as it reduces the variety of trees an buildings, but they make a big difference if you use them, like 3-4 fps. I mostly use the settings from this guide. http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_FPS_Guide

>I decided it was too much money for too much uncertainty. The>dust on my FSX box just blew throught 1/64 th. of an inch.>>Bob (Las Cruces, NM)1/32 of in inch here. FSX is just too frustrating to bother with with my current hardware. Between having to buy Vista, DX10 video card and new motherboard/CPU/RAM, my next computer upgrade is going to be one of the most expensive ever. I usually upgrade about every year for about $300-$500. Going to be at least double that this time around so have to wait a while longer.Funny thing is I'm not really in a big rush. I would rather wait for hardware prices to come down a bit more. But I'm sure my patience will run out when DX10 patch comes out for FSX.Matt

Guest JETPETER1

Hi, I have an almost now, 3 year old Dell XPS Gen 2 notebook, the earlier version of what you currently have... I have souped it up to 2 GB ram, over the original 1 GB, and have it sitting on an antec fanpad... necessary after adding the extra ram to keep it cool enough from overheating .. perhaps yours does not have that issue, but I digress... my machine run FSX VERY WELL!!! I have a GEforce 6800 Ultra and a Pentium M 2.0 processor, and run in the native 1920x1200x32. I have tweaked FSX since it came out and have blown away my beloved FS9. I can run stabilized at a locked 24 fps, most areas worldwide, with sharp terrain textures, etc.., no blurries, and no stutters. Yes, I do have the following necessary things TURNED OFF..... or removed to achieve this fps however, and you must too do the same thing I believe...use freeware "smart close" software to gid rid of unneccary background services and applicationsDELETE OR REMOVE DEFAULT.XML file (biggest fps booster in the world)run terrain and mesh sliders at max, as well as global texture qualityuse only 15% car traffic and air trafficno airport vehiclesno shadowsscenery complexity on normal autogen on normal***The worst FR I get is 15 on average in places like KSEA or KBOS or NYC etc.. but most places worldwide with real weather do hold hear the 24fps mark... film speed ... and you ought to be able to do the same .. or better....!!Let me know if you need more help!jetpeter1@comcast.net