Sign in to follow this  
Wanthuyr Filho

PC shuts down during climbout (P3Dv4 thunderstorms)

On 8/10/2021 at 12:32 AM, OlliePen said:

10-year warranty on a new PSU. Think Gold 80+ ratings from manufacturers such as Sea Sonic, Corsair and EVGA

or BeQuiet, a premium brand. they design their own psu's, others are sometimes just re-labeled OEM products.

• Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

8 hours ago, turbomax said:

spikes last only milliseconds you won't see temps rise at all, psu will long have shut down before. 

The way I understand OPP is that a millisecond spike wont activate it. 

Edit: I see you were referring to amps, so OCP, OCP does trip faster.  

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

I agree on it probably being a PS issue. Just don't forget to replace the cables as well if you have a modular design. Many vendors change the wiring on the motherboard side of the cables, sure it will plug in to other brands but it will fry your motherboard if they are not compatible.

Edited by TurboKen
  • Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 8/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, TurboKen said:

I agree on it probably being a PS issue. Just don't forget to replace the cables as well if you have a modular design. Many vendors change the wiring on the motherboard side of the cables, sure it will plug in to other brands but it will fry your motherboard if they are not compatible.

I've never had a modular PSU, do they come with their own set of cables that I should use?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Hello everyone and thanks for all the ideas on how to diagnose and solve this power off issue.

Apparently the PSU is not the issue here, instead, a bad overclock/UEFI settings I suspect was the culprit. I'm still doing tests, but so far it stopped occurring.

Most probably the last time I've updated BIOS/UEFI I forgot to change a few parameters and a new stress test software showed me things were not right, the parameters were basically related to AVX OFFSET and RING/CACHE RATIO.

I know P3D has its own computational characteristics which will stress the system in specific areas, unlike the stress test softwares out there on the market, and I try to make adjustments taking this into account.

Occasionally the Event Viewer also helped me finding out when something was still in need of adjustments, for example when I lowered VCORE down to a certain level AND the room temperature was higher than usual, WHEA error(s) used to show up (but didn't have a direct relationship with the power off issue I described at first). Anyone else had this kind of experience?

Edited by Wanthuyr Filho

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

7 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Apparently the PSU is not the issue here, instead, a bad overclock/UEFI settings I suspect was the culprit.

Something one of us should have mentioned. Any issues like this always set bios to optimised defaults and test. We should have asked if you were overlocking. Sorry. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:18 AM, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I've never had a modular PSU, do they come with their own set of cables that I should use?

YES..

and Glad you got it working. As Martin said if having issues you should always go back to default to see if the problem persists.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

14 hours ago, TurboKen said:

YES..

and Glad you got it working. As Martin said if having issues you should always go back to default to see if the problem persists.

Yep, absolutely. TurboKen is spot on!

Different make PSU's tend to have different pinouts. Even different models from the same manufacturer can too. Always use the PSU cables that come with your PSU. Or, if using custom cables, make sure you specify your exact make and model PSU when ordering. Many systems have been damaged by using the wrong PSU cables. 

• Like 1

Just to update you guys, my PSU really seemed to be faulty. I used a quite nice software for hardware stress tests I've got from the Internet, at first I've discovered that my overclock was not super steady, I had to make a few adjustments (when I suspected it was the source of the issue), but even then things continued to happen (the power downs). Then I learnt that this stress test software also could stress the PSU, which within seconds or minutes at most ended up raising the issue. So I've exchanged the PSU with another one (same brand/model) that I had in another PC (which was not being used anyway due to a defective MoBo) and alas... Never happened again, not on P3D nor on the stress test software.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho