Sign in to follow this  
Zeder

Localizer course problem

Hello,

I come with a localizer problem FSX, Windows10.
Both aircraft are Project Airbus types.

The test track is: Takeoff ZRH RW10, NAV1 is set to KPT (Kempten) 109.6.

Start manually, then at approx. 2000ft APilot on; HDG 70 ° >> change to 70 degrees. I put LOC course 74 °.
Now I activate LOC (NAV1 = 109.60, approx. 60nm distance; is displayed). So the plane should swing in on it .

It works with several aircraft, eg. A318-111 (N801).

41847697cq.jpg

But if I'm using A321-211 (GJVB), the plane rotate to course to (74+180)= 254 and is now flying in the reverse direction, south instead north.

As a workaround, I set the loc course to 254 and fly again same procedure, then it works:

mean, the plane take course to VOR (in real direction of 74)

41847699wo.jpg

Situation:

Localizer-flight work with several aircrafts, but with others they don't.

Does any colleges have an idea, what's wrong?

Thanks in advance

Ruedi (SUI)

Edited by Zeder
description

Ruedi Burkhard

Sounds like the aircraft that don't work correctly have localizer and backcourse mixed up!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Since this probably an advanced aircraft ( I dunno, do not have ) it may require >= 30° intercept heading to the desired NAV1 crs for the AP to engage the NAV. ( the Maddog & others act this way )

Set everything up as shown above ( 109.6, crs = 74° )then set the heading bug ( and actual heading ) to no greater than 043° or from the other side, no less than 105° to intercept the NAV radial. If the AP engages NAV then you will know that this aircraft requires the 30° difference.

Good luck..

Yes, this was typed up on a Chromebook 😉

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Hi spokes2112,

Thanks for this info. I will try and give a feedback.

Ruedi Burkhard

Hi again,

I tried to set heading to +- 30° to localizer course,  as you recommended. No success. I have used some other planes from A320, A321 types. Same results.

With eg. A318_FD-FMC N801 localizer move to the course 64° as setted; means it works!

I guess, it could be airplane error OR somethings was wrong with the installation. Therefore I will reinstall the planes.

When i feel like it 😧

This case is still open and I give some feedback

Regards

Ruedi Burkhard

If the reinstall doesn't change things, I would take the .air file from the working aircraft (provided both working and non-working aircraft are similar) and put the .air file into the non-working aircraft.  Make sure it is labeled the same!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

One other thing to consider.
Are you actually trying to track a localizer? or trying to track a VOR?
Some APs treat the 2 the same, good ones don't.
If you really are trying to track a LOC then get closer, much closer, <= 20nm out, The AP should track it then.
If you are using LOC mode to track a VOR then it really should work.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

>Now I activate LOC (NAV1 = 109.60, approx. 60nm distance; is displayed).

This certainly is a problem. No matter that this works with other aircraft, the procedure is wrong! You never capture a localizer 60nm out, never. You want to capture inside a 20nm ring. 12 to 14 miles is ideal. If your aircraft isn't capturing the Loc at 60nm out, then it's probably being modeled correctly.

Try this procedure:

1. When you get to within 25 miles of your airport, select approach flaps and slow to about 150 kts.

2. Set up your nav radios for your approach (Loc or ILS)

3. Intercept the localizer at a 30 degree intercept angle.

4. Capture the localizer.

5. Monitor the glideslope (GS) needle now. At one dot above GS put the gear down.

6. At GS capture select landing flaps and set your Vref (approach) speed + 10 kts.

7. Fly it in, in this configuration, and make a normal landing.

Good luck.