Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG 737 estimated to be released in Q4, 2021

37 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I just started a programming course and one of the first things I learned was that HTML & Javascript offer only 1/10 of the possibilities of C++ or even Java itself.
Also I don't think you can natively mix two languages; you could probably inject one into the other externally, but that is far beyond my comprehension.

Uhmm, I'm a professional software developer. I have completed a Bachelors in Computer Science.  And I have been working in the IT industry developing software for 20 years.

So I can tell you that I don't know exactly how MSFS handles HTML & Javascript in the cockpit. Hence the "experts" that know this better than us would be Working Title or the 3rd party developers that create the cockpits for the planes in MSFS.  In addition, developing software has a lot of workarounds.  I mentioned that depending on how MSFS handles HTML & Javascript in the cockpit, HTML & Javascript support z-index and changing the location of elements (ie. changing the location of "divs" in HTML), which allows you to overlay an element on top of another.  However, I am not an expert with making cockpits in MSFS so I will leave the final answer to one of the real experts such as a Working Title developer or an actual 3rd party dev that builds cockpits for MSFS.

Lastly, saying " HTML & Javascript offer only 1/10 of the possibilities of C++" ... ... I don't know how you got that idea. HTML & Javascript have an entire different function than C++.  They serve entirely different purposes.  It's really weird that you would compare them in that way. One is a markup (HTML) and programming language (Javascript) for developing web pages on the world wide web.  The other, C++, is for developing applications.  They have different purposes and different functions ... ...

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Uhmm, I'm a professional software developer. I have completed a Bachelors in Computer Science.  And I have been working in the IT industry developing software for 20 years.

So I can tell you that I don't know exactly how MSFS handles HTML & Javascript in the cockpit. Hence the "experts" that know this better than us would be Working Title or the 3rd party developers that create the cockpits for the planes in MSFS.  In addition, developing software has a lot of workarounds.  I mentioned that depending on how MSFS handles HTML & Javascript in the cockpit, HTML & Javascript support z-index and changing the location of elements (ie. changing the location of "divs" in HTML), which allows you to overlay an element on top of another.  However, I am not an expert with making cockpits in MSFS so I will leave the final answer to one of the real experts such as a Working Title developer or an actual 3rd party dev that builds cockpits for MSFS.

Lastly, saying " HTML & Javascript offer only 1/10 of the possibilities of C++" ... ... I don't know how you got that idea. HTML & Javascript have an entire different function than C++.  They serve entirely different purposes.  It's really weird that you would compare them in that way. One is a markup (HTML) and programming language (Javascript) for developing web pages on the world wide web.  The other, C++, is for developing applications.  They have different purposes and different functions ... ...

As I said, I only quote what I was being told. I suppose they were talking about applications.