Sign in to follow this  
Steku

COM1/COM2 switching in MFS2020 C172 classic not working

When I change COM1 to COM2 and back in MFS2020 C172 classic on the audio panel:

• on screen by mouse
  • by the joy button assigned in the sim
  • by the joy button assigned in the FSUIPC
  • by the joy button assigned in Axis and Ohs) - command: COM1 transmit select or COM2 transmit select

P2ATC doesn't recognize it. The same happens in Just Fligth Piper Archer.

So I can't listen to ATIS provided by P2ATC using COM2 radio, by operating the radio in the sim, I must use P2ATC interface. This is inconvenient as I fly in VR and use H/W panel, without touching a mouse or keyboard.

Also after initally connecting P2ATC displays just "COM" not "COM1" or "COM2". Only when I click in P2ATC on the freq it recognizes COM1.

Edited by Steku

MSFS appears to not allow you to transmit on Com2.  I was only able to add Com2 as a Monitoring channel in the 172 classic cockpit. 

P2A only works on the Active Channel, which is the one you are set to transmit on.  It does not play the weather on Com2 while transmitting on Com1.

Dave

I don't want to listen to weather on COM2 while using COM1 as trasmitting radio. ATIS was just just the example.

The issue is: - I can switch COM1 -> COM2 in the sim, but the switch is not reflected in P2ATC. In stays on COM1 in P2ATC. When I switch COM1 -> COM2 in P2ATC interface - it switches OK.

The same in the COM2 -> COM1 direction.

Edited by Steku

Thanks for clarifying what you are trying to do.

When I tested in MSFS Cessna 172, it would only allow Com1 by itself or Com1 and Com2 together, meaning you can transmit on Com1 and listen on Com1 and Com2, which is not recognized by P2A.  P2A was able to set Com2 to transmit in the Cessna 172, but it cannot be done from the cockpit. So, as best I can determine, the 172 in MSFS does not allow you to switch the transmitting channel to Com2.

This function works correctly in FSX, P3D and X-Plane.

I also tried the MSFS Beech Baron with the G1000.  I was able to swap Com1 to Com2 using the Com1 Mic / Com2 Mic buttons.  I suspect their 172 with the G1000 would work the same, but I didn't test it.

Dave

In MFS2020 in C172 classic there are COM1 and COM2 buttons on the left side of the audio panel which control the speaker (or headphones). They behave like you said for listening (you can listen to both radios), but they don't control microphone (they are called in the tool tips - "COM Receiver Audio").

On the right side of the audio panel there is a knob which can be turned into COM1 and COM2 transmit positions (and some more) - Microphone Selector Knob (called in the tool tips "Transmission Mode"). The knob in the sim reacts properly to "COM1 transmit select" and "COM2 transmit select" button assignments, in the sim, in FSUIPC and in Axis and Ohs.

See here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cessna-172-included-with-deluxe-and-premium-editions-question/301631/10?u=stekusteku

This is not reflected in P2ATC.

The same happens in Just Flight Piper Archer III, with completely different audio panel, also equipped with microphone selector knob (but this one might be custom Just Flight creation).

P2ATC seems unaware of any changes of the COM set to transmit in the sim. If you would like to avoid operating P2ATC interface (not easy in VR), this leaves you with just one radio.

Edited by Steku

I don't know, I don't use offsets for selecting the transmitting COM. I use the commands: "COM1 transmit select" and "COM2 transmit select".

I also wonder why P2ATC is initailly (just after connecting to the sim) displaying "COM" and not "COM1" or "COM2"? Only after click on the freq in the P2ATC interface it realizes the frequency is "COM1".

Maybe the offset 0x3122 is not updated immedaittely?

Edited by Steku

Thanks for pointing out the knob.

I just tested using the Knob and it works correctly.

Turn it left to Com2 and P2A switches to Com2.

Turn it back to Com1 and P2A switches to Com1.

It also moves the knob when you change from Com1 to Com2 in P2A.

It seems to be working correctly. 

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

Hmm.. So someting specific to my case. May it be an issue with 2.6.2.4_x64_beta2a which I received from you as the improvement to flight plan exporting?

When I change the COM1/2 in P2ATC it is reflected in the sim. If I turn the knob in the sim, it's not reflected in P2ATC.

The same issue with G1000 - works one way only. P2ATC -> sim = OK. Sim -> P2ATC not OK.
I tested with default FSUIPC setings - issue stil there.

Edited by Steku

I don't believe so since nothing has changed related to the Radios.

I'm testing with FSUIPC 7.0.9, but I suspect that hasn't changed much either if there is a later version.

Did you try one of the G1000 aircraft, just to be sure it's a problem in all aircraft?

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

From FSUIPC log:

When I turn the Knob in the sim (seems like in simple plane both pilot and copilot transmitters are changed together):

COM1 -> COM2 in the sim (turning the Knob):

369109 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66945 (0x00010581), Param= 1 (0x00000001) PILOT_TRANSMITTER_SET
   369109 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66946 (0x00010582), Param= 1 (0x00000001) COPILOT_TRANSMITTER_SET

COM2 -> COM1 in the sim (turning the Knob):

417031 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66945 (0x00010581), Param= 0 (0x00000000) PILOT_TRANSMITTER_SET
   417031 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66946 (0x00010582), Param= 0 (0x00000000) COPILOT_TRANSMITTER_SET

COM1 -> COM2 in the P2ATC:

456281 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66464 (0x000103a0), Param= 0 (0x00000000) COM2_TRANSMIT_SELECT

COM2 -> COM1 in the P2ATC:

479656 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 66463 (0x0001039f), Param= 0 (0x00000000) COM1_TRANSMIT_SELECT

And here the result of monitoring offset 3122 in the FSUIPC:

936734 Monitor IPC:3122 (S8) = 32
   936734 SimRead: 3122="COM TRANSMIT:2"
            INT32: 0 (0x00000000)
   936734 Monitor IPC:3122 (S8) = -96
   936750 SimRead: 3122="COM TRANSMIT:1"
            INT32: 1 (0x00000001)

Edited by Steku

I think I nailed it:

I installed 2.6.2.3x64_R2 over 2.6.2.4_x64_beta2a and it works.

So it was resolved either by reinstall or the issue is with 2.6.2.4_x64_beta2a.

Thanks for the update and glad it's working.

I will test the beta, but I suspect it was just something not working that the reinstall fixed.

Dave

Now I installed 2.6.2.4_x64_beta2a over 2.6.2.3x64_R2 and it doesn't work.

Seems like an issue with the beta.

Back to 2.6.2.3x64_R2 - it works. Wow! I can control my COM1/COM2 radios using my H/W panel in VR again!

And the issue with just "COM" (instead of "COM1" or "COM2") just after connecting to sim - also gone (this is the immediate indicator of the issue, no neet to play with the transmit konb).

Edited by Steku