Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FSX Crashing and sometimes BSOD when changing cockpit v...

Not too long ago I switched to my current video card and this is when the problems started to occur. Now I did all off the appropriate steps when getting rid of NVIDIA (Reg cleaner, manually removing NVIDIA reg entries, running driver cleaner in safe mode...) To me it seems like there is something else going on here. This is my first ATI card and I have avoided them until now because I had been under the impression that the catalyst drivers are finicky. For all I know the problem may have nothing to do with the drivers. I first noticed this with the Overland A320 with the Gijsbrecht v. Batum gauge upgrade (which flew flawlessly with the NVIDIA card). When in VC mode if I try to pull up and additional panel (2d panel, overhead...) it will hang for 30 seconds and then crash. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't reproduce a situation that causes it. I have even had 3 hour flights that were perfect and then I get the BSOD on approach.I figured it was a problem with the gauge upgrade but I just got the CLS DC-10 and it is doing the same thing. It didn't on the first flight but it crashed 4 times on me last night. Same thing - if I try to pull up the 2d panel (or any other panel) it crashes with a BSOD.I have not been able to reproduce the problem with the PMDG B1900 or any of the default aircraft. Any idea what can be causing this?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Not too long ago I switched to my current video card and this>is when the problems started to occur. Now I did all off the>appropriate steps when getting rid of NVIDIA (Reg cleaner,>manually removing NVIDIA reg entries, running driver cleaner>in safe mode...) To me it seems like there is something else>going on here. This is my first ATI card and I have avoided>them until now because I had been under the impression that>the catalyst drivers are finicky. For all I know the problem>may have nothing to do with the drivers. >>I first noticed this with the Overland A320 with the>Gijsbrecht v. Batum gauge upgrade (which flew flawlessly with>the NVIDIA card). When in VC mode if I try to pull up and>additional panel (2d panel, overhead...) it will hang for 30>seconds and then crash. It doesn't happen all the time and I>can't reproduce a situation that causes it. I have even had 3>hour flights that were perfect and then I get the BSOD on>approach.>>I figured it was a problem with the gauge upgrade but I just>got the CLS DC-10 and it is doing the same thing. It didn't on>the first flight but it crashed 4 times on me last night. Same>thing - if I try to pull up the 2d panel (or any other panel)>it crashes with a BSOD.>>I have not been able to reproduce the problem with the PMDG>B1900 or any of the default aircraft.> >Any idea what can be causing this?> Strange problem. Have you checked with anyone in the ATI forums?You could try a different driver release for the video card.I have found that ATI drivers are much better than nVidia drivers.

I am going to try a new driver but I am wondering if something else is going on here. I'm not so sure that it is a problem with my card/driver because it runs great on many occasions - even in FSX and even with the offending aircraft.Has anyone else had a similar problem?I've looked over at 3d guru but its hard to find people anywhere else that have a in depth understanding of FSX.