Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauiHawk

Will we need tweaks with SP1

Hey everyone, When FSX was first released, I had it running with a few tweaks but never used it due to performance issues on my rig. My HD crashed since, and I will have to reinstall it. Of course I don't even remember where I got any tweaks to begin as its been a long while. When SP1 is released, would you think that it will run just as good with the default stock installation with SP1 applied, or would we still need to apply all the tweaks along with SP1 to run that much better? Sorry if this was covered before. I see that aces visits here so I hope they see this post. I realize that there is no magic answer, however I still would like some opinions from active FSX users. Now that it is getting closer, I am revisiting putting FSX back in action. Thanks for your opinion folks.

No one knows. And the ones who DO know aren't allowed to say anything about it (NDA). So I don't think you will get any usefull answers here, just guesses. ;) Better wait and see for yourself when SP1 is released.

Thanks for your reply. Yep, that's kind of what I thought might be the case. I was thinking since aces visits here that maybe they would give some sort of input. Hey, the way I look at it, things should get better anyway, so that's a positive thing. Thanks again.

Aces has already stated that they're looking for a conservative 20% increase from SP1. I'd wait and see what the tweaksters come up with for further improvement. Chances are many of the pre SP1 tweaks will have no further effect but only time and trial will tell.Bottom line though - it will be an improvement.VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

>It wouldn't be flight sim without tweaks. :-lol Yes, really!! Jeff (moss1) of course there will still be tweaks and for sure they will have a positive effect. Post SP1 though, the tweaks might change and some might have less or more effect, who knows.For example, the reduced autogendescriptions.spb file will *have* to give better results by definition....because it reduces the different types of autogen trees down to 2 or 3 per class. Less rendered = more fps.And I'm sure deleting the default.xml file will still yield fps, because after all, the less that's rendered = more fps.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest UlfB

Jeff,You know what fps you get out of FSX today. Multiply that with 1.20 (20% increase) and you'll be the judge if the resulting fps is good enough for you. If you get 15 fps today you'll get 18 fps with a 20% increase. If you get 20 fps now, you'll get 24 with SP1. Multiply with 1.30 if you want to get the picture with a 30% increase.Ulf B

One thing I've read today: it's best to install SP1 on a clean FS X install! Specially texturetweaks will make things go wrong. So if you are thinking about re-installing FS X, you might do so, but leave it as it is until SP1 is released: install that and only AFTER that you might see if old tweaks still work or are still necessary. I'm sure more tweaks will be released after SP1. ;) (Just as I'm sure (or hoping really...) the addon market will finally start working on FS X addons after the release of SP1...!)

Thanks everyone for your input. The one advantage I will have is that I have no choice but to do a clean install anyway, so at least I don't have to go through as much as some of you out there with all the add ons and such. I guess I'll wait for SP1 before I go and get another HD. Thanks again folks.

Guest MauiHawk

Performance in FSX (or any game really) is a whole lot of cost/benefit comparisons that are influenced by a whole lot of factors. Some are personal preferences: would you rather have more trees or tree that look better? Some depend on the machine: machine A may be able to handle additional autogen with relative ease, but struggle with effects such as bloom, shadows and reflections. Machine B may have relative strengths in the opposite areas.ACES has to make compromises to try create as good as possible experience for many different tastes and machines. Chances are you don't have 2.3 kids, make $46,000, and drive you car 12,000 miles per year. So chances are, you will be able to make tweaks to make SP1 run better for you regardless of how much better SP1 is overall.