Sign in to follow this  
Raymundo

Unlocking Waypoints

The GTN750 says that my flight plan has locked waypoints and that I should unlock them.  I have found not way to do so.  Can anyone tell me how to unlock the waypoints as the 750 instructs me to?

I think that means that your stored flightplans have invalid waypoints in them. 

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

13 hours ago, Raymundo said:

The GTN750 says that my flight plan has locked waypoints and that I should unlock them.  I have found not way to do so.  Can anyone tell me how to unlock the waypoints as the 750 instructs me to?

Further below I have pasted in some information from a topic here from 2018.  It may shed some light.  Where are you creating the flight plans you are attempting to import?  What flight plan elements to they contain?  Departure?  Arrival?  Approach?  The more sophisticated you get when creating them the more likely you are to run afoul of the rules enforced in the Garmin Trainer.  The Garmin Trainer applies rules, or filters, to each element in the flight plan and rejects the plan if it cannot match those.  RIVRS6 arrival into KSTL St Louis soon becomes RIVRS7 and that can cause a mismatch.  Or say your flight planning tool has the arrival as RIVRS7 but your Garmin Trainer database still has it as RIVRS6.  The same can occur with runways.  After time 30L becomes 29L, and so on. It is a nature of the Garmin Trainer(s), not the Reality XP GTN.

Try entering the exact same flight plan manually into the GTN and see what transpires.  That could provide a clue.  In the meantime I highly recommend you keep the flight plans you wish to import as simple as possible.  Transitions are very easy to add once you have a successful impor

-----------------------------

The most common issue I have found with locked waypoints has been that in the Garmin database there are more than one waypoints with the same name, thus the Garmin does not choose for you.  A good example of this is intersection/waypoint BUNKA on low altitude V221, just west of OOM (Bloomington, Indiana, USA).  There is another fix in the database named BUNKA in the African country of Ivory Coast. I had BUNKA locked when I imported a flight plan from St Louis to Bloomington.

Another cause may be an named intersection that appears to be on an airway, but is not.  This can happen occasionally where two airways cross each other and that fix is in the database on one airway, but not the other.

Just two examples.....  And where these occur in a GTN, they for me at least also happen in a GNS.  It's Garmin database related.

Edited December 3, 2018 by fppilot

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere