Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Observations and Some Questions (P3Dv5.3)

Still loving my P3D install and can’t stop flying it...such a smooth FPS of about 50-60 with my 10900K and RX 6800 16GB.

Two observations....

1) I made some room on my SSD and moved my Orbx TE regions to it...this has dramatically reduced load times and quite a few repeatable stutters on takeoff at Renton etc (my clue was my HDD making a racket during those stutters presumably loading what it needed too slowly)

2) Some planes seem very FPS heavy...for example my Carenado Shorts 360 and Turbocommander 690 seem much easier on FPS than the Citation even at the same speeds...A2A seems stellar on FPS.

Some questions...I’ve been spending the past year with a different sim and am very rusty with P3D.

1) Why are the runways covered with a VERY shiny polish, like glass?  Can I get rid of this?

2) I’ve tried without success to edit out the wing view from A2A planes from the view cycle?

I want to be able to cycle between just the virtual cockpit and outside spot view and skip all other views

3) How does one cycle between the various views in Carenado planes..in XP11 one hits various number keys to sit in the passenger cabin etc?

Thanks,

Steve

Republic - cannot help you with the runway colouring issue - I do not have that issue.

View cycling - some modellers do strange things with the view cycle commands - anyway I find with most F9 for VC, F10 for ahead no VC, F11 for outside spot and F12 for the overhead or satellite type view. 

For any of these, most models and generally with Carenado with F9 or the VC selected just hitting the "a" key should cycle you through the views so for VC doing selecting "a"  will change the view to the next view etc and eventually to the cabin view and any time you want to go straight back to VC just use F9 again .

Some will not give you external or spot view using the F11 key because they are tied to the VC views in this case generally using the "s" key will give you the outside view and repeated operation of the s key will cycle those views. F9 or whatever will get you back to VC. 

Edited by coastaldriver

2 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

2) Some planes seem very FPS heavy...for example my Carenado Shorts 360 and Turbocommander 690 seem much easier on FPS than the Citation even at the same speeds...A2A seems stellar on FPS.

Yep, some planes are heavier on fps, typically because they are performing more work or are coded differently.

Like you said Carenado planes are generally lighter on fps, typcially because they are less systems intense, whereas a plane like the Vertx DA62 has a heavy amount of coding behind it and will use more fps cycles (the Vertx DA62 also allows you to schedule more CPU power towards such processing), likewise larger airliners with accurate systems will need a lot of processing power to deliver the goods and for A2A, they use their own accu-sim functions hence good performance to be had along with accurate systems.

1) Why are the runways covered with a VERY shiny polish, like glass?  Can I get rid of this?

Could be PBR, post a pic perhaps ?

I want to be able to cycle between just the virtual cockpit and outside spot view and skip all other views

I use a program named JoyToKey to map view keyboard keys to joystick buttons.

e.g. F9/F11 are mapped in JoyToKey as a toggle between the two, thus I can toggle between the outside and VC view via a single button.

By the same token I have mapped another button to cycle through the views, for example toggling to the VC and then cycling throught the VC views.

Question: Your Turbo Commander 690B, is it stock or ar you running one of "Bill's" mods ? e.g v6.1

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 12/27/2021 at 7:58 PM, Republic DC9 said:

I used V5.3 for a few days before reverting back to V5.2, I noticed that also and believe it was simulating snow and ice if real world time and date is in effect, as in winter graphics. Try a summer scenario to verify.

Gary Stewart

47 minutes ago, CW46 said:

I used V5.3 for a few days before reverting back to V5.2, I noticed that also and believe it was simulating snow and ice if real world time and date is in effect, as in winter graphics. Try a summer scenario to verify.

I actually fixed the shiny runway problem by turning dynamic reflections ON to the lowest setting vs. off.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:57 PM, Rogen said:

Yep, some planes are heavier on fps, typically because they are performing more work or are coded differently.

Like you said Carenado planes are generally lighter on fps, typcially because they are less systems intense, whereas a plane like the Vertx DA62 has a heavy amount of coding behind it and will use more fps cycles (the Vertx DA62 also allows you to schedule more CPU power towards such processing), likewise larger airliners with accurate systems will need a lot of processing power to deliver the goods and for A2A, they use their own accu-sim functions hence good performance to be had along with accurate systems.

Could be PBR, post a pic perhaps ?

I use a program named JoyToKey to map view keyboard keys to joystick buttons.

e.g. F9/F11 are mapped in JoyToKey as a toggle between the two, thus I can toggle between the outside and VC view via a single button.

By the same token I have mapped another button to cycle through the views, for example toggling to the VC and then cycling throught the VC views.

Question: Your Turbo Commander 690B, is it stock or ar you running one of "Bill's" mods ? e.g v6.1

Cheers

The Vertx DA62 works in 5.3? I thought it hadn't been updated because of dev. I haven't really followed it lately.