Sign in to follow this  
SimeonWilbury

P3D v5.3 exiting/ CTDing with no event - can anyone help?

Hi all,

I've had this problem to a certain extent ever since I updated to v5. My main problem is that after long flights beyond 7-8 hours in length P3D will often just freeze and CTD with no prior warning. Sometimes I get similar behaviour just by entering data in to an FMC (an issue I have had both in the PMDG 747-400 and the Leonardo Maddog which makes me thing this is not related to either of those addons.

The complicating factor in this is that these crashes never trigger an event viwer entry, which basically gives me nothing to go on. In my most recent attempt at a flight that so far I have not been able to complete sucessfully (namely PANC-VHHX), I was running ProcessMonitor for the last few minutes before P3D Exited. I'm not really sure where to start with this but it is so far the only evidence I can get of what P3D was doing before it crashed/ shut itself down.

I have uploaded the log file (.PML) to my google drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IRw4PbkaWL3swTvj3w33gEkgPlYPrE1/view?usp=sharing - I don't know if the filter (to just include P3D) I have in place is included, but if not the instructions to do so are in the Avsim CTD guide

The only evidence I can see of anything going 'wrong' before P3D exits is a registry query at 21:26:35.4821581 which results in a Buffer overflow. I'd appreciate any help in intrepreting what is in this log file if it helps track down what is causing P3D to exit and how it can be prevented/ fixed.

Some additional context in case it helps:

• The flight was from PANC to VHHX
  • I was roughly 8 1/2 hours into the flight when the crash occured
  • I was flying along the Chinese coast, just to the east of Hangzhou (between waypoints JTN & Dadat) at probably around FL340. No high-fidelity scenery was loaded in so I doubt this was a VRam issue.
  • I was in the process of entering my Arrival route into the FMC, however I should stress that the exact symptoms often occur even when I leave the sim entirely to its own devices. Next time I attempt this flight I will program my arrival early and hopefully this may help avoid confusion in this regard.
  • Main Addons in use at the time:
    • PMDG 747-400
    • Active Sky P3D
    • Rex Sky Force P3D
    • Orbx Global
    • Chaseplane
    • FSUIPC (basic, no license)
  • Some PC Specifications in case this is a hardware/ OS/ Driver problem
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
    • GPU: MSI RX570 8Gb

These CTDs have been driving me mad, and the lack of any event viewer entry to troubleshoot with has had me tearing my hair out. Any help is appreciated. Depending on the response here I may also consider starting a thread in the offical P3D Forum, but thought I would post here first as I frequent these forums more often.

Kind Regards,

Martin

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

I had issue after 7- 8 hrs when using Chrono with PMDG 747. At the time it was not "compatible" and according to guys at the PMDG forum. Once I switched to to FS real Time even though not official either never had that again.Haven't flow for sometime long routes so I can't tell you more.

Also I had CTD with their product when entering data in FMC as well. They tried to replicate issue but at the end they advised to re-install whole package since everything on their end indicated no issue. I did and all worked as it should.

Not sure if you are using anything along that might cause that issue.

Alex 

9 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I had issue after 7- 8 hrs when using Chrono with PMDG 747. At the time it was not "compatible" and according to guys at the PMDG forum. Once I switched to to FS real Time even though not official either never had that again.Haven't flow for sometime long routes so I can't tell you more.

Also I had CTD with their product when entering data in FMC as well. They tried to replicate issue but at the end they advised to re-install whole package since everything on their end indicated no issue. I did and all worked as it should.

Not sure if you are using anything along that might cause that issue.

No issue with FlyChrono, I was doing this flight in historical time so no FlyChrono loaded.

I've done god knows how many reinstalls of P3D/ PMDG the last few months so I highly doubt that will have fixed it. This all occured with a fresh 5.3 install both before the hotfixes and after.

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

Hi all,

I've had this problem to a certain extent ever since I updated to v5. My main problem is that after long flights beyond 7-8 hours in length P3D will often just freeze and CTD with no prior warning. Sometimes I get similar behaviour just by entering data in to an FMC (an issue I have had both in the PMDG 747-400 and the Leonardo Maddog which makes me thing this is not related to either of those addons.

The complicating factor in this is that these crashes never trigger an event viwer entry, which basically gives me nothing to go on. In my most recent attempt at a flight that so far I have not been able to complete sucessfully (namely PANC-VHHX), I was running ProcessMonitor for the last few minutes before P3D Exited. I'm not really sure where to start with this but it is so far the only evidence I can get of what P3D was doing before it crashed/ shut itself down.

I have uploaded the log file (.PML) to my google drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IRw4PbkaWL3swTvj3w33gEkgPlYPrE1/view?usp=sharing - I don't know if the filter (to just include P3D) I have in place is included, but if not the instructions to do so are in the Avsim CTD guide

The only evidence I can see of anything going 'wrong' before P3D exits is a registry query at 21:26:35.4821581 which results in a Buffer overflow. I'd appreciate any help in intrepreting what is in this log file if it helps track down what is causing P3D to exit and how it can be prevented/ fixed.

Some additional context in case it helps:

• The flight was from PANC to VHHX
  • I was roughly 8 1/2 hours into the flight when the crash occured
  • I was flying along the Chinese coast, just to the east of Hangzhou (between waypoints JTN & Dadat) at probably around FL340. No high-fidelity scenery was loaded in so I doubt this was a VRam issue.
  • I was in the process of entering my Arrival route into the FMC, however I should stress that the exact symptoms often occur even when I leave the sim entirely to its own devices. Next time I attempt this flight I will program my arrival early and hopefully this may help avoid confusion in this regard.
  • Main Addons in use at the time:
    • PMDG 747-400
    • Active Sky P3D
    • Rex Sky Force P3D
    • Orbx Global
    • Chaseplane
    • FSUIPC (basic, no license)
  • Some PC Specifications in case this is a hardware/ OS/ Driver problem
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
    • GPU: MSI RX570 8Gb

These CTDs have been driving me mad, and the lack of any event viewer entry to troubleshoot with has had me tearing my hair out. Any help is appreciated. Depending on the response here I may also consider starting a thread in the offical P3D Forum, but thought I would post here first as I frequent these forums more often.

Kind Regards,

Martin

I do many long hauls but usually speed up to x4 at cruise level, as probably many do. That's why I never get to 8 real time hours. Hard to say, because with such a long time there is a lot of possible memory leak stuff that could happen, but doesn't usually matter because most people end their flight way before that.
One thing that gave stability for me was using "debug mode" for my GPU and of course "prefer maximum performance" (in the Nvidia Panel); but that was for those Device hung errors. Now I don't get them anymore with 5.3, but I also only load the scenery I need for the flight with Lorby P3DAddonOrganizer. That's the second thing I'd recommend. Otherwise when you have a lot of active scenery / airports and do long haul, a lot of custom stuff gets loaded and unloaded while you fly past it, so there's a much higher chance for some faulty custom airport stuff to do damage.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Upvote 1

Yesterday i had a cdt without error from Windows évent viewer, above greenland default scenery i think. I don't know if orbx provide an Addon who cover greenland

Frédéric Giraud

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

I do many long hauls but usually speed up to x4 at cruise level, as probably many do. That's why I never get to 8 real time hours. Hard to say, because with such a long time there is a lot of possible memory leak stuff that could happen, but doesn't usually matter because most people end their flight way before that.

Yes, I can understand why. I prefer to run my flights in real time generally as It gives me an excuse to spend most of the day studying/ doing other activities and then come back to the PC at the end of the day to finish the flight. I very much got into the habit of this in v4.5 because that sim was so stable for me. Memory leak is possible, but I assume this must be due to a change in P3D itself/ an addon rather than a change to my PC or OS install. I would imagine such leaks would at least result in an error of some sort though? From what I have in the ProcessMonitor Log the Sim just seems to suddenly decide to shut everything down.

One thing that gave stability for me was using "debug mode" for my GPU and of course "prefer maximum performance" (in the Nvidia Panel); but that was for those Device hung errors

I may give this a look to see if AMD have an equivalent setting, though I'm not seeing any evidence linking this to my GPU/ Drivers.

but I also only load the scenery I need for the flight with Lorby P3DAddonOrganizer. That's the second thing I'd recommend. Otherwise when you have a lot of active scenery / airports and do long haul, a lot of custom stuff gets loaded and unloaded while you fly past it, so there's a much higher chance for some faulty custom airport stuff to do damage.

I've considered this, then again since this is quite a recent install I haven't actually got much in the way of scenery installed. I'll probably try and do a very basic P3D config with Only the PMDG, active sky and relevant airport sceneries to see if I can narrow down the issue to a specific addon. It'll be a long process as I'll have to run the sim for 8+ hours each time but is really the only effective way of solving this I guess.

Many thanks for the help

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

I've done some digging: I had a checkout of my Active sky files and found a SimConnection log, it looks like there's some kind of Simconnect error going on:

12:20:54:0681-Sim general message:Sim Msg: Exception received: SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_OUT_OF_BOUNDS
21:25:52:0713-Sim general message:Sim Msg: Exception received: SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_OUT_OF_BOUNDS
21:26:37:0592-Sim general message:Sim Msg: Connection closed

Not sure if this is the culprit or not, but suggests that maybe SimConnect was misbehaving?

EDIT: I also found this entry in ActiveSky's Utils_Log:

21:26:38:0092-Exception thrown attempting to clean temporary file: C:\Users\Martin\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\ActiveSkyP5\Weather\clouds\tmp\10486429_9.cld. Exception error: Access to the path '10486429_9.cld' is denied. 

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

Done more digging. I think it is a memory leak. Will post on the LM forums and see if a solution is possible.

From P3D generated DXdiag file:

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 2143477839530551784, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

• Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

My guesses:

1.  Conflict between 

• Active Sky P3D
  • Rex Sky Force P3D

2.  PMDG 747 isn't current version or it's WX radar doesn't like have two weather programs providing data

3.  Permissions issue (OS blocking)

EA on or off?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I don't think it should be a conflict between Active Sky and Sky Force, I only use Sky Force for the Cloud models and have the weather engine turned off. However I have seen an unresolved thread on the PMDG Forums that has suggested Sky Force as a potential culprit, so I'll look to run a future flight without it to see if that changes anything.

The 747 should be up to date, it certainly is according to the PMDG Ops Centre and it updates whenever I reinstall it. As I mentioned above, Sky Force shouldn't be providing any weather data in theory as it should only be responsible for syncing cloud models, though again I'll do a test run without it.

The Permissions issue is a possibility, there were some permissions issues visible in the process monitor log but not sure if they're the cause.

From what P3D gave me in the DXDiag log it may also be something to do with my drivers, as the diagnostics constantly cites cpumetricsserver.exe which from what I can tell is AMD related, and the same process shows up in event viewer with a buffer overflow when I start Windows. I will try and use display driver uninstaller to see if I can clear up any potential driver irregularities.

Many thanks for the help!

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

A little update

I just realised I completely forgot to mention in my last reply, I am currently running EA On.

I am re-running the flight today after a bit of a break (and a few nice short-hauls). I have made the following changes:

• Updated AMD Drivers
  • Updated Active Sky
  • Cleared Shaders
  • Running without Rex Sky Force
  • I remember there being something about a buffer overflow with preferred UI Languages in the Processmontior log. I had an extra language added for compatibility with an addon I don't currently have installed, I've reduced it down to just one language in case that fixes anything.

Will run Process monitor again for the last few hours of the flight to try and pick up anything if it crashes again. If this flight isn't successful I'll try again with EA Off to see if that causes anything. If still nothing I'll do another fresh Install with only the 747, Active Sky and the relevant Airport Sceneries. If there's still a problem then I guess I'll have to try and substitute another aircraft in to see if it's a PMDG issue.

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

Success this time around! May well have potentially been Sky Force causing the trouble after all. Won't know till I get some more long-hauls under my belt, but it's currently working!

• Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

Update: I'm getting a strong feeling this is linked to Sky Force. I flew EKCH-UUEE in the MaddogX this morning and the sim no error CTD'd when I was on the ground at Moscow getting ready to start up for the return leg. Only thing different from yesterday (other than the different route/ aircraft) was that I was running Sky Force. It's possible the Rob's suggestion was correct and Sky Force is conflicting with ASP3D somehow. I'll try and run some more flights without Sky Force running and see if I run into any more CTDs.

Only other thing that might possible be linked is PFPX being the unstable mess that it is somehow causing a memory leak in P3D or something, I closed PFPX a few hours into yesterday's flight.

Edit: just did a bit of googling and found this in the P3D Forums, seems familar to what I've been experiencing, if in a much older version of P3D https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128396

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png