Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

New Lighting problem with FSX Light Bloom

I was checking something I saw on a youtube video and I noticed a problem, that so far, I haven't seen reported. With light bloom on and using FSX default aircraft, there is no bloom effect from the 3D VC cockpit. as you see from the outside view. It does work fine also in non FSX default aircraft!! Here's some shots to demonstrate what I mean!! Has anyone else noticed this?? All shots are with Light Bloom turned on! Notice the second shot with the default C172SP. Externalhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171179.jpgFSX Default C172SPhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171180.jpgShockwave P-51Dhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171181.jpg

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Interesting to see other folks are also having problems with light bloom in FSX.I have problems with light bloom when using FS9 aircraft imported into FSX (Realair Spitfire and Shockwave P51). The aircraft selection screen seems empty (white) when light bloom is on in the game, and on starting FSX the whole screen goes white and remains that way unless light bloom is turned off. Then everything seems normal. Note that this did not happen initially when I first imported the FS9 a/c. They all seemed to work OK. I don't know what has changed. Drivers maybe? But I always keep them up to date.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest jshyluk

Light bloom also seems to affect the Outside Top Down view, in that certain levels of zoom will get whited out. I didn't link my issue with your bloom issue until I read your post -- now it all makes sense. Off goes the bloom, at least until SP1, I guess. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Guest atwlaw

Yes, all my Fs9 imported planes show white screen on display in ac selection. but during the game, things seem good until you go into a lower visibility layer, everything goes white. So I have to keep it off for all FS9 ported planes

>Light bloom also seems to affect the Outside Top Down view,>in that certain levels of zoom will get whited out. Jeff:I have seen this *exact* issue.If I turn off bloom the whited out zoom is gone. So off goes bloom.I attributed it to a driver issue. But then I am not sure...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest jshyluk

Rhett: My drivers are not up to date, so I'm not surprised I am getting issues. Rather than spend hours trying to chase the bug, I usually just leave the bloom off. When I get the time, and if SP1 takes much longer to get released, maybe I will experiment with the drivers and the bloom setting to get to the bottom of it, but for now, it's not so important. I am glad, though, I'm not the only one with the problem, and that I think we have the culprit as well.

. . .gotta say, though - that's a fabulous effect. THAT sure looks like real life, doesn't it!pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest jshyluk

Bloom as being fabulous? I both agree and disagree with that. I think in some cases, it's overdone, such as in runway lights and anti-collision lights, and in other cases, there's not enough, such as the sun and in reflections. Bloom gets too much by night and not enough by day, at least for me. Of course, the matter is academic, as bloom is also currently a resource hog, and as I mentioned before, I also get some graphical corruptions. That being said, when I look at the histograms of my non-bloom screenshots - the number of dark pixel versus the number of light pixels, I often find a slight skew towards dark pixels under daylight conditions with what I would consider realistic visibility, i.e. 5-20 miles for urban areas. If I were to make the correction, I would boost the white pixel count about the same amount as if there was bloom in effect. Mind you, this problem can be solved with better placement of the sun and composition of the screenshot, and I do try to get that right.Anybody with Photoshop can see this by playing with the Levels (or even the Auto Levels/Auto Contrast) menus, but other digital art programs will show you histograms as well. Then, we have to take into account that a computer screen is much smaller and more luminous than the the real world visual area, i.e., what you see with your eyes. You need much higher percieved contrast on a computer screen to make something visible than you do looking at the same object in real life, like a runway light. That would be why effects like bloom look so dramatic.I wouldn't call bloom completely realistic, then. If you saw that stuff in real life, I would think either there's a lot of particles in your air or else you are starting to get cataracts, or at least you need to clean your windows/lenses. But bloom is very pretty and adds a lot of appeal to FSX, and I wish I could turn it on more.This is just my opinion, and does not necessarily co-incide with the official opinion, if any, of AVSIM.Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer