Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Question regarding the handling of the F-16

So this question isn't related to DCS specifically, but since the F-16 in DCS is so much more advanced than in other sims, I figured I would ask here.

So I just bought an F-16 addon for MSFS. Now I obviously know it's not super advanced version but a decent representation and is getting an upgrade to the cockpit this year. I also have the VRS Superbug for P3D which is close to study level I think.  With the F/A-18 it's easy to pickup speed when you point the nose down even just a little bit, but in the F-16 I find it really easy to bleed off speed while descending fairly steep descent rate. How accurate is that behavior to the DCS version or even the real thing?

Thanks

Edited by jt233

Jason Thiers

59 minutes ago, jt233 said:

So this question isn't related to DCS specifically, but since the F-16 in DCS is so much more advanced than in other sims, I figured I would ask here.

So I just bought an F-16 addon for MSFS. Now I obviously know it's not super advanced version but a decent representation and is getting an upgrade to the cockpit this year. I also have the VRS Superbug for P3D which is close to study level I think.  With the F/A-18 it's easy to pickup speed when you point the nose down even just a little bit, but in the F-16 I find it really easy to bleed off speed while descending fairly steep descent rate. How accurate is that behavior to the DCS version or even the real thing?

Thanks

Hello, I would recommend you checking out a few Youtube videos of real world F-16 pilots who demo and assess the DCS F-16. C.W. Lemoine "Mover" comes to mind. He flew F-16s and F/A-18s for both Navy and Air Force and has a few good videos and even dogfights another fighter pilot. 

Keith Guillory

The F-16 is a super slippy airframe, so I think you can figure out how it would be when you point the nose down. 🙂

The VRS Superbug for P3D was very good. 

I dont really want to comment on the MSFS version. The F-16 is a super fast agile airframe. Just look at its frount profile, I see nothing to stop it 🙂

Screen-210823-191812.png

Screen-210822-194509.png

Screen-210823-192044.png

This is how you land a F-16 and keep it at this AoA till 100 KTS

Screen-201230-102420.png

DCS is free and I would promise you would have countless hours enjoying learning this amazing aircraft. Yer MSFS is by far the best looking sim, but the aircraft, modeling and systems within DCS are another level to anything else with mil aircraft.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

This is old but C.W. Lemoine "Mover" goes through a training mission: NOTE this is old and the F-16 has had many updates since but you can see what happens when you point this airframe to the ground.

GOTO 10:40

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip