Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Sim flying window loses contact with controls - OK in Option

I am flying along with no problems when I realize that the CH Yoke, CH pedals, and keyboard are no longer talking to the sim.  But, the mouse does move the cursor. The mouse click will not bring up the menu nor will the mouse wheel zoom or do any of the functions I have programmed for the various keys and wheels.  

The keyboard ESC works and I can get to Control Options where I find that ALL the programmed axises and keys work as I want.

I return to the sim flying window and again none of the controls work.

This happens in VR and in 2D.

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

3 hours ago, TacomaSailor said:

I am flying along with no problems when I realize that the CH Yoke, CH pedals, and keyboard are no longer talking to the sim.  But, the mouse does move the cursor. The mouse click will not bring up the menu nor will the mouse wheel zoom or do any of the functions I have programmed for the various keys and wheels.  

The keyboard ESC works and I can get to Control Options where I find that ALL the programmed axises and keys work as I want.

I return to the sim flying window and again none of the controls work.

This happens in VR and in 2D.

One thing that might be worth checking is if the computer is allowed to put those controller USB ports to sleep. In Win10 go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Human Interface Devices. Then right click on a controller entry, go to Properties > Power Management and make sure the check box that allows the computer to put the device to sleep is not checked. Not all entries in the device list will have a Power Management tab, but for each one that does I suggest NOT letting the computer turn off the device. I do check the box that lets the device wake the computer although that is probably not necessary since I don't let my desktop computer sleep (if you go to Control Panel>Power Options, you can set a computer power plan that fits your needs).

It is worth noting that through some poorly understood magical process, these USB power settings do seem to get reset from time to time, so may need checking periodically "just in case".

Also, there are some apps the conveniently provide additional info on your USB settings. For example, https://usbdeview.en.softonic.com/ .  And a GOOGLE search on USB Power Settings will turn up additional info.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ark said:

One thing that might be worth checking is if the computer is allowed to put those controller USB ports to sleep....

It is worth noting that through some poorly understood magical process, these USB power settings do seem to get reset from time to time, so may need checking periodically "just in case".

Thank you for that! 

I was aware of the possibility of the USB being powered off but had made sure all those boxes were unticked when I was working on my Reverb G2 setup in mid-December.  I just assumed the power property would remain unchanged.  When I took your advice - I found all the settings to be "allow"

Two days ago I disconnected all the peripherals in order to re-organize all my cabling (6-sata devices and seven USB devices) in the case and outside the case.  I guess that unplugging/re-plugging and adding a new USB powered hub allowed Win 10 to reset every USB power management setting to "allow the computer to turn off this device"

Thanks again

Edited by TacomaSailor
  • Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor