Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Weather - historical and Hifi

Hi,

Historical weather is a must, when using simbrief I always enable historical weather because it would give me accurate winds and weather along the route and allow me to use time compression during longhauls with proper weather all the way, your simbrief flightplan fuel will be accurate thus enhancing the simulation, I always fly longhauls at least one day before actual date to have full historical weather covered through the flight.

Flying real life routes outside their planned schedule time does not make much sense in my opinion.

I am not ready yet to spend any of my hard earned money in flightsimulator add-ons so wait and see what PMDG manages to bring us....

Cheers

Edited by Chfeudpail

11 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Cant open it up because it is simulated across the planet - live.  This is a fully modeled wx system with a large number of input date points and types.  Of which METAR is just one component of.  It is modeled on MS servers, not local.

That sounds like a great explanation, but then how have the REX WF and Unreal Weather addons been able to accomplish what they have?  You may be correct about the source of data in your explanation, but perhaps not the injection. 

Won't open it up is perhaps a better phrase, and won't open it up is likely due to a contractual issue, not a technical issue.  

12 hours ago, knich said:

I recall in Q&A session with Asobo some time ago the question about historical weather.  Jorg seemed perplexed to understand why anyone would want it lol.  

Let's hope he is no long perplexed.  I too like to fly flights in past weather conditions.  Kinda kills immersion doing a flight from June and there is snow on the ground.  And yes you can manually change the weather but not the same. 

It has seemed all along that his team underestimated the importance of weather attributes in a flight simulator and perhaps entered into a contractual issue lacking understanding of that. So it has been a scramble.  Getting there based on my recent experience, but still a scramble.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Thanks for the replies!

Yes - setting weather manually is absolutely no match for historical weather.

For example, one day I may plan a long haul flight, but I'll actually do it a few days later.

For people saying set manual weather - how on earth do you manually set an entire atmosphere for a 13 hour flight??

I agree with the historical weather - but I see no reason for simply 24 hours.  At least a couple of weeks is what is needed.

I like to fy in different seasons so prefer 365 days

16 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Thanks for the replies!

Yes - setting weather manually is absolutely no match for historical weather.

For example, one day I may plan a long haul flight, but I'll actually do it a few days later.

For people saying set manual weather - how on earth do you manually set an entire atmosphere for a 13 hour flight??

I agree with the historical weather - but I see no reason for simply 24 hours.  At least a couple of weeks is what is needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knich said:

Absolutely.