Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Weather - historical and Hifi

Hi all,

Have MSFS but haven't really made the switch yet - still using FSL/PMDG aircraft in P3D v4 an 5.

What is the deal with weather?  As far as I can tell, there is no historical weather which is a bit of a deal-breaker for me, as I plan flights and often fly them later.

Is Hifi still developing Activesky for MSFS?

Thanks for any insight,

Rudy

12 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

Is Hifi still developing Activesky for MSFS?

Never was, never will be..

word not allowed.  I cannot see it being a serious sim without some serious weather.  Historical is a must, surely.  

Can you not just make your own custom weather to match historical conditions?  Forget active sky, the devs have been pretty adamant the weather is not going to be opened up… 

Thomas Derbyshire

REX once announced they intend to provide historical weather with their Weather Force.

https://rexsimulations.com/weatherforce.html

(scroll down). Not sure if this is still on their agenda, but I didn't hear anything contrary. And yes, I would like to see this feature, too.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I recall in Q&A session with Asobo some time ago the question about historical weather.  Jorg seemed perplexed to understand why anyone would want it lol.  

Let's hope he is no long perplexed.  I too like to fly flights in past weather conditions.  Kinda kills immersion doing a flight from June and there is snow on the ground.  And yes you can manually change the weather but not the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Can you not just make your own custom weather to match historical conditions?  Forget active sky, the devs have been pretty adamant the weather is not going to be opened up… 

Cant open it up because it is simulated across the planet - live.  This is a fully modeled wx system with a large number of input date points and types.  Of which METAR is just one component of.  It is modeled on MS servers, not local.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Historical weather and the possibility of saving a flight situation and its panel state is one of the things I'm really missing.

• Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 hours ago, knich said:

I recall in Q&A session with Asobo some time ago the question about historical weather.  Jorg seemed perplexed to understand why anyone would want it lol.  

Let's hope he is no long perplexed.  I too like to fly flights in past weather conditions.  Kinda kills immersion doing a flight from June and there is snow on the ground.  And yes you can manually change the weather but not the same. 

Correct. That was in May last year, see here:

We haven't heard anything about it since then.

When REX Weather Force was released they announced to provide historical weather "soon". So I bought it as an interim solution, but unfortunately neither REX nor Asobo have delivered.

I don't have much hope anymore we will ever see historical weather in MSFS.

Nevertheless if you want to vote for it, do it here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/historic-weather-as-second-timeline/213758

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, knich said:

Jorg seemed perplexed to understand why anyone would want it lol.  

Not only a problem of the discrepancy between seasons and the snow cover.

When I fire the simulator late afternoon in France and want to fly inAsia in daytime, the weather I get is the night weather, if I want to fly in the West coast of the Americas, I have the early morning weather (fog !). Weather changes with the time of the day and MSFS doesn’t replicate this. It is a real limitation of the simulation, specially wherever there are huge gradients of temperature or for landmasses close to oceans. Anybody living in the West coast of the US should know that (lived three years in CA).That Neumann seemed perplex makes me perplex.

Historical weather over 24 hours is awfully missing in this sim..

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

When I fire the the simulator late afternoon in France and want to fly in Eastern Asia in daytime, the weather I get is the night weather, if I want to fly in the West coast of the Americas, I have the early morning weather (fog !). Weather changes with the time of the day and MSFS doesn’t replicate this.

Thanks for bringing this up. That's a very important point if you set a certain time of the day at will and combine it with live weather.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Voted.

30 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I'll vote too! I also really, really, really miss historical weather. In P3D I ALWAYS flew with (HiFi's) historical weather. Not only does it suck I have to often use night time weather while flying during daytime but I also get a bit sick and tired of the snow I am constantly seeing in the area's I fly often. I really like to do a summer flight during winter every now and then! And nooooooo, changing the weather manually (editing a preset) is incomparable and not what I want at all. Presets/themes are always utterly boring: it's all the same weather all over the place. I can't stand themes. I really want to see the weather change during my flight. Not necessarly from very sunny to extreme rain but suble changes in cloud coverage are a must for me in order to be immersed.

3 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

When REX Weather Force was released they announced to provide historical weather "soon". So I bought it as an interim solution, but unfortunately neither REX nor Asobo have delivered.

Typical. Which is one of the many reasons I stopped buying REX products years ago. BTW I do wonder how REX takes care of the weather whiule HiFi's doesn't seem to do so?

Thanks for the replies!

Yes - setting weather manually is absolutely no match for historical weather.

For example, one day I may plan a long haul flight, but I'll actually do it a few days later.

For people saying set manual weather - how on earth do you manually set an entire atmosphere for a 13 hour flight??

I agree with the historical weather - but I see no reason for simply 24 hours.  At least a couple of weeks is what is needed.

• Like 1