Sign in to follow this  
flibberflops

Everything wrong with MSFS2020 VR setup

As much as I like MSFS2020 in VR it has to be said that after performing a fesh install it becomes apparent that the setup process for VR is ridiculous.

Skipping the various software installations, here is a summary of tweaks and setting that is currently recommended.

1) Process Lasso (why the heck windows doesn't do this by default?)

2) Pimax Pitool various settings (or what ever headset you have)

3) Nvidia control panel settings

4) Steam VR settings

5) NIS shader settings

6) MSFS render / antialising settings

When you take a step back and consider the infinate mixture of different settings you can have and trying to figure out which is best for you system it becomes a bit of a joke.

Ok, I accept most of this is not unique to MSFS2020 but when people talk about VR becoming mainstream they need to take a good long hard look at this layered mess of software and sort VR out so it is a kin to plugging a monitor!

Half of the things you listed apply to monitors as well. Other than the additional set up for the headset , it's exacly the same, everything else is a tweak that applies to both.

2 hours ago, flibberflops said:

1) Process Lasso (why the heck windows doesn't do this by default?)

2) Pimax Pitool various settings (or what ever headset you have)

3) Nvidia control panel settings

4) Steam VR settings

5) NIS shader settings

6) MSFS render / antialising settings

1 = I've never done this nor had too for VR.

2 = WMR but it loads automatically so nothing to see here.

3 = Rarely use this with VR, used I it far more for monitor use.

4 = Once setup rarely touch again unless a big optimisation update of the Sim/game means I can increase the render scale.

5 = Optional, again once the right setting has been found no need to touch again.

6 = In sim exactly the same as monitor usage.

I click a lot of other programs for MSFS that have nothing to do with VR, essentially for me I just put it on my head, press the button to switch to VR, recenter the view and go...simple.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)