Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

Approach and Update Questions

Hey all-

I am getting my simulator system back up and running after a couple of years watching MSFS simmer. I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers to:

• How do I know if the SU8 has been installed?  I go to the content manager and see 386 items installed and only world updates 'available'.  Is there a specific location to see what SU is currently installed? 

• Approaches :  I have been fiddling with the GTN750 *both default gps and PMS50 gtn) and have an issue.  When I activate an approach with a certain transition, it looks correct on the screen map and preview display but when the approach is loaded, it skips the IAF.  My examples approach are into KHRO ILS 36 and KSGF ILS 14.  For the Harrison (HRO) approach, I select the ZENUN transition and the map and plan load up heading to BOLTE. For the Springfield (SGF) approach, this happens on ILS 14.  If I select BVRLY (IAF) as my transition, it only loads up from REEVZ onward and skips the IAF although the previews look ok.  The results are the same when using the default GPS also. 

Is the GPS issue something to do with the databases used?  The GPS knows the transitions as I can select them but they are not part of the flight plan once loaded.  The FP goes straight to the FAF.   I've noticed that right when I hit Load and Activate, the IAF will show up in the flight plan for about 1 second then the screen adjusts on the GPS to eliminate the IAF (replaced with the approach name) and goes directly to the FAF.   Do I need Navigraph or some other GPS to get approaches to load correctly?

Can someone test these approaches and see if they have the same results? 

Thanks for your help-

Benjamin 

Benjamin Van Eps

17 minutes ago, Bman2006 said:
  • How do I know if the SU8 has been installed?  I go to the content manager and see 386 items installed and only world updates 'available'.  Is there a specific location to see what SU is currently installed? 

Version number is in the title bar if you switch to windowed. SU8 Beta is 1.23.9.0. You still may have to install stuff from the Contents Manager.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for the information.  I will keep my eye on the version number so I can crosscheck with current version on the street. 

Regarding the ILS issues and missing IAF waypoint.  I ran into another one last night: 

KPHF - Williamsburg (ILS 25).  If I select HASBA for the IAF, it will preview correctly but then skip HASBA and go directly to the STEVE INT.    If I select ORF as the feeder route, the plan will load HASBA correctly.  

No idea why... 

Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

On 2/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bman2006 said:

I have been fiddling with the GTN750 *both default gps and PMS50 gtn) and have an issue.  

Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. The sequencing in any of the default GPS navigators (and add-on using the default navigator logic) is incorrect. The Working Title G1000 NXi available free in the marketplace, is addressing the deficiencies in the default logic. Eventually I believe the underlying work for the NXi is supposed to replace the broken default code.

• Like 1

Chris

Thanks Chris. 

Yeah, that's what I've heard about the WT G1000NXi.  I do have it installed and things appear to be improving slowly but surly.  For now, I am treating any weirdness as if something was going wrong in an RW flight. You sort it out, adjust your plan and fly that plan according.   I am just surprised I don't see more folks having the issue or at least noting the issue.  I guess they aren't treating MSFS2020 in the same capacity or stuck with P3D / XP11 in the meantime. 

Benjamin 

Benjamin Van Eps

1 hour ago, Bman2006 said:

Thanks Chris. 

Yeah, that's what I've heard about the WT G1000NXi.  I do have it installed and things appear to be improving slowly but surly.  For now, I am treating any weirdness as if something was going wrong in an RW flight. You sort it out, adjust your plan and fly that plan according.   I am just surprised I don't see more folks having the issue or at least noting the issue.  I guess they aren't treating MSFS2020 in the same capacity or stuck with P3D / XP11 in the meantime. 

Benjamin 

Others have the issue, you are not alone 😉

Bert

Hey Bert! 

Ha, that's good to know and assumed that to be the case.  Since I am not as plugged in as I once was, knowing what I might be missing is taking a little more research along the way. 

• Like 1

Benjamin Van Eps