Sign in to follow this  
paulh1

How To Reduce Glare and Brightness

3 hours ago, JYW said:

Yes, X-Plane has this.   However, you know what threads and posts would follow that though? ...

.... "Don't you think the sunglasses effect is too strong?   I can't see anything!".  

😄

Hence why I recommend that any such option includes the ability to adjust the amount of tint present in simulated sunglasses.  This will allow the user to define their desired level of glare reduction, much as one would when choosing a pair of glasses to purchase.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, Simicro said:

Any news or other method identified to reduce the Glare and Brightness, since last March?

Buy a monitor calibrator that will set your screen to a set standard thus setting brightness, contrast and colour correctly. This will negate the need for reshape or NVidia filters.

As you have discovered, setting eyeadaption to off just makes the cockpit darker. 

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Buy a monitor calibrator that will set your screen to a set standard thus setting brightness, contrast and colour correctly. This will negate the need for reshape or NVidia filters.

As you have discovered, setting eyeadaption to off just makes the cockpit darker. 

Where can we buy one?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

My monitor is calibrated for photography, and the glare is pretty bad. I have found that the quickest fix is to reset the gamma using the NVIDIA Control Panel's Adjust Desktop Color Settings page. Just use one that you find pleasing on your monitor. Doing the calibration can be a painstaking process, and it still doesn't solve the problem of MSFS trying to squeeze a wider range of luminance out of monitors than they are actually capable of reproducing. 

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I made a quick search on Google, it seems that a monitor calibrator costs at least 100+ USD$ to several hundreds $

It's quite an investment.

Maybe I consider buying one if I am sure that it will resolve the Glare/Brightness/Washed scenery issue.

EDIT: a monitor calibrator is a device that will tell me what settings (brightness, contrast, colors, etc) to tune on my monitor. Is that correct?

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

2 hours ago, Simicro said:

a monitor calibrator is a device that will tell me what settings (brightness, contrast, colors, etc) to tune on my monitor. Is that correct?

Have a look at 

https://digital-photography-school.com/why-is-monitor-calibration-important-and-how-to-do-it/

for example or the many other search engine responses to "color calibration". A calibrated monitor will display colors that come as close as possible to a specific standard, very often sRGB. Photo enthusiasts and professional photographers will calibrate their monitors if they want to match what they display to what is displayed on photographic prints, for example.

Calibration will not fix the problem in flight simulators (I had problems with specific X-Plane add-on cockpits, too, that made it feel that I was looking into a featureless black hole) of trying to simultaneously view bright clouds and scenery alongside the relatively dark cockpits. The dynamic range of such a scene greatly exceeds that which most monitors can display. Things may be better with high dynamic range monitors or even televisions, although I understand the latter may not display fine text as well as do monitors. 

Win some, lose some.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

3 hours ago, Simicro said:

I made a quick search on Google, it seems that a monitor calibrator costs at least 100+ USD$ to several hundreds $

It's quite an investment.

Maybe I consider buying one if I am sure that it will resolve the Glare/Brightness/Washed scenery issue.

EDIT: a monitor calibrator is a device that will tell me what settings (brightness, contrast, colors, etc) to tune on my monitor. Is that correct?

initially you tell the calibrator what you want you monitor tuned to - RGB for example.  It then gets you to manually adjust your monitor controls to get the settings close to what they should be.

In the next phase you will see coloured and grey square flash up on the screen. The calibrator reads those squares then creates a lookup table for the graphics card to use (windows uses this calibration for your display device).  The data is saved to your PC so that colours and brightness displayed are exactly right.  

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

Calibration will not fix the problem in flight simulators (I had problems with specific X-Plane add-on cockpits, too, that made it feel that I was looking into a featureless black hole) of trying to simultaneously view bright clouds and scenery alongside the relatively dark cockpits. The dynamic range of such a scene greatly exceeds that which most monitors can display. Things may be better with high dynamic range monitors or even televisions, although I understand the latter may not display fine text as well as do monitors. 

Win some, lose some.

In many cases simmers are using various filters to mitigate this brightness difference between the outside & inside views. Each time a filter is used, the temptation is to use another and another to try and fix all the colour/brightness shifts created by the previous filters!

The only way for the display to be correct on your own monitor, and for everyone else to have exactly the same and correct view, is to calibrate the monitor to a known standard - as you say sRGB for example.

On my calibrated monitor I do not have any issues with scenery shadows too dark/bright, washed out/cartoon colours or black cockpits - all of these issues are caused by an un-calibrated monitor or over-use of filters.

It should be repeated that a brighter outside/darker inside is an unfixable issue cause by MSFS trying to display a high dynamic range scene - you can't fix this!  

3 hours ago, iFlySimX said:

Where can we buy one?

The most popular are the DataColour SpyderX or the xRite i1 Display pro.  They are easy to use and available online.