Sign in to follow this  
Konterhalbe

Graphic Card question, take 38

I'm running MSFS with medium settings on an i7-3820 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 780 Ti GPU and Windows 10.

Both CPU & GPU loads are at 100% when using MSFS and the FBW A320.

Because I want more FPS (who does not?) and be able to set settings to high or ultra, I am thinking about upgrading just my GPU to one of the following graphic cards:

RX 6600, RTX 3060, RX 5700 XT, RX 6600 XT, RTX 2070 Super or RTX 3060 Ti. (I dont want to spend 1,5k (EUR, not Rubels) on a more recently released GPU).

Each of them should be compatible with my DX79 SI Mainboard I guess? The DX79SI MB provides two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots.

Am I likely to achieve a significant boost in FPS upgrading just my GPU and leaving all the rest untouched or do you guys consider it being stupid to just upgrade my GPU in terms of other old components becoming a factor in slowing down my new GPU then?

The aforementioned GPUs achieve about 100% more FPS in ComputerBase.de benchmark tests:

JVenxm8.jpeg

Am I at risk to have a GPU running at 60% utilisation, just slightly higher MSFS graphic settings and still not noticeable more FPS after "upgrading" my GPU for 600EUR?

Or am I safe to say I'll achieve 45 FPS at high settings instead of 30FPS at medium settings as I am achieving at the moment with my actual setup?

I reckon MSFS has got the option to shift more load from the CPU to the GPU somewhere in the in-game settings, right?

Your thoughts are welcome!

6 minutes ago, Konterhalbe said:

I reckon MSFS has got the option to shift more load from the CPU to the GPU somewhere in the in-game settings, right?

no, where should that be?

you did not specify your resolution. any such considerations without showing your resolution are pretty much useless. the higher the resolution, the more you'll want a high end GPU. for 1K even a lousy GTX 980 will suffice, for 4K and high resolution VR you will want an RTX 3090.

MSFS is already running most code on the GPU. therefore upgrading the GPU would always be my first priority. that's where you will see the biggest improvement.

But right now, best to wait another month or two as GPU prices are currently finally falling towards MSRP level,  where they haven't been in the past 2 years. And why not order 2 different high/low end GPU's and send back the one you don't consider worthwhile?

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

@turbomax I'm on 1920x1080 and on two monitors (one for the sim, one for charts, VATspy, vpilot and so on...).

Thanks for your opinion!

"And why not order 2 different high/low end GPU's and send back the one you don't consider worthwhile?"

That is actually a very useful tip, never thought of that!

1 minute ago, Konterhalbe said:

I'm on 1920x1080 and on two monitors (one for the sim, one for charts, VATspy, vpilot and so on...).

for 1K resolution any medium/low end GPU should do, and the 2nd monitor apps are not GPU critical. I think 30 fps in MSFS is just fine, much better than in P3D/xplane, because of more constant frame times in MSFS, = less stutter.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Raymond, thanks for confirming my experience/suspicion. I'm NOT going to pay inflated price for a GPU, and MSFS runs pretty well on my meager system with mostly high settings, terrain LOD usually at 300. Unfortunately when I get to a complex airport my fps tanks and dev mode counter shows solid main thread limited with GPU coasting below 60% - 70% utilization. My assumption from that is that I should see more even performance if I simply replace my grandpa CPU/MB with a new stallion.

In this thread https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/610255-cpu-ram-mb-swap-using-same-m2-os-installed-worked/?tab=comments#comment-4718153 Rob A. pointed out that one can replace CPU/MB and just use the same system drive and it should boot and run just fine - albeit one needs to install the drivers for the new MB hardware. I think I'm going to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB