Sign in to follow this  
Marksim

Recent major Upgrade - big improvement... except on VR

Hi

My current system:

I5-11600k

RTX-2080ti

32GB 2666Mhz RAM

It runs very well in normal sim mode (on the PC screen). And it runs as expected in all other games I've tested. Can't complain. The problem comes in VR - I'm NOT expecting wonders. The issue is because of a lack of improvement:

I upgraded my processor from an old I7-3770 (and so, consequently the RAM from some DDR3 to DDR4, as I had no choice) because it was definitely bottlenecking the GPU in FS2020 and everything else. I'd given up on VR, it was basically unplayable, topping out on 20FPS, limited by main thread. I just assumed that this was absolutely true - perhaps it was. Unfortunately, with the new i5, which is a much more capable processor, it's doing *precisely* the same thing. I'd have expected something of an improvement - though, I was limiting my hopes as to what. I'm a bit baffled that it is at the exact same point. It's a new motherboard, too. Basically a new computer - BUT, same windows installation. So, I'm posing here because, I did search around, and inevitably, people say, "it probably is topping out because it's bottlenecked..." - this experience would tend to indicate that a setting is awry.

I've got an Oculus Quest 2, running through the standard VR interface. Have tried Oculus tray tool with various settings, and without. Various settings in the Nvidia driver config page, and NIS, and have played with quite a lot of windows settings according to help guides, besides.

My GFX settings for VR, to summarise, are basically averaged out at medium at the moment, but it's the same deal if I set them to low. It's the main thread, not the GPU, so that makes sense. However, it's the same if I turn off traffic. And like I say, in normal sim mode, at 1080p, it's getting around 60-75fps at High GFX settings, in DX11 mode.

One more thing, when I have the headset on, in VR, the issue manifests. When I take the headset off and it goes blank, but VR mode is still activated - the main thread issue goes. So, it's only when it's streaming to the headset. When it's processing the game in VR mode but not streaming to the headset, the bottleneck goes. Could this be to do with reprojection mode?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hello,

Did you try disabling hyperthreading in your bios (you will get more power with your main thread)

I also use an Oculus Quest 2 - it's connected with an usb cable to my computer. i'm using standard Nvidia settings, RTX 2060 Super.
Results are quite good  (I have not monitored fps). But I'm using an I9 10th gen, not an I5.

1 hour ago, ctdlg said:

Hello,

Did you try disabling hyperthreading in your bios (you will get more power with your main thread)

I also use an Oculus Quest 2 - it's connected with an usb cable to my computer. i'm using standard Nvidia settings, RTX 2060 Super.
Results are quite good  (I have not monitored fps). But I'm using an I9 10th gen, not an I5.

is it better to not use HT? :? WIll the rest of my pc not lack power then?

Victor Roos

I had the same processor as you and the quest 2.  Yes, perf is expectable with the 11600k, you may have a small bottleneck with 2080ti in VR.  I found the biggest way to increase fps with oculus is put the FOV settings in OTT at 0.70x0.70 that means less resolution is needed and frees up some settings to be turned up such as resolution etc.  Using sharpening in OTT helps with seeing gauges etc.  My settings are med-high; if you had a better GPU it may help.  

There is some CPU overhead with the various oculus software needed when using the headset which will on occasion use all cores and threads (assign HT on), but not always.  For the 11600k you maybe able to oc to help some.  Main thread gets maxed quite a bit.  I have to adjust settings until I have no stutters; this is with airliners.  With GA, you can turn settings up.

For me, turning LOD right down helps CPU usage drop as I can't see that far afield with VR on anyhow.

Edited by simon747

Simon

I tried all, and ultimately, wasn't quite getting what I was expecting still, and suspected that there was something not quite right, so, went to the trouble of starting from scratch. Ended up reinstalling windows. That did the trick. I would love to be able to tell you why, with confidence. But alas, cannot.

I manage to get 35 - 38 fps in undemanding places, and 30 - 33 in moderately demanding places with the following:

RS: 100%

Terrain and Object Detail: 100%

Most gfx settings between low and medium - except texture quality, which is on high.

OpenXR Toolkit installed, with: FSR 70% scale and 60% sharpness, foveated rendering on - wide/performance.

Oculus Tray Tools installed, adaptive ASW and full FOV.

It's Pretty smooth with the headset on airlink, full res and 120hz.

If I do the FOV on OTT to 0.7x0.7 trick that has an enormous impact and sends the fps to 50-53 in moderately demanding areas with the above settings, so can bump up the FSR scale to 90% and virtually all low gfx settings to medium to achieve the same fps as before (or slightly better). So will try to find a good balance where it's not chopping too much off.

Thanks for that! Really helpful.