Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Weather settings

Thanks to  @SteveW and @LRBS on my post on settings questions after completing my new 12900k build. The sim looks and performs better than I could have hoped.

My next question is more towards weather settings. When I was messing with settings in flight after all the tweaks, I noticed a MASSIVE difference between clear skies and other weather settings. FYI - I use ASP3D for V5. When I was testing I saw frame rates go from 25-30 to 80-100 simply by having the generated weather from ASP3D (which was a broken layer at about FL200) changed to clear skies in the sim and closing ASP3D. 

I want to focus on the weather settings to get a good balance. FPS can dip to below 20 sometimes now depending on the airport, time of day etc. I really want to achieve 30fps across the board. 

My system is i9-12900k / Asus 3080ti strix rog / 32 DDDR5 5200. 

What is a good balance in the weather settings to bump up FPS? 

Edited by avi8tir

On my PC for ASP3D I have these settings with excellent results.
max cloud layers between 3 and 5 (I use actually 4)
min cloud draw distance to 60
max 100 to 120.
Combined with Steve's guidance there are no stutters and very fluid, but again, each PC is quite different.
I hope it helps.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I have limited cloud layers to 3, but increased the draw dristance to 150. Also, lowest resolution cloud textures (in my case in ASCA).

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

9 hours ago, LRBS said:
On my PC for ASP3D I have these settings with excellent results.
max cloud layers between 3 and 5 (I use actually 4)
min cloud draw distance to 60
max 100 to 120.
Combined with Steve's guidance there are no stutters and very fluid, but again, each PC is quite different.
I hope it helps.

thanks. our systems are very similar with the exception of 3080ti vs 3090 so I'll give this a shot. 

what about the settings in P3D directly? Volumetric clouds, etc etc. 

Some pics with HDR OFF and ON, I have cloud distance to 100 with coverage at max. 

80nm.png

80nm-hdr-ea.png

100nm.png

100nm-hdr-ea.png

110nm.png

110nm-hdr-ea.png

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090