Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Flight Map

27 minutes ago, NZAA said:

But I'm wondering if there's a tool that'll show my location as as well as my planned flight? 

Check out Little Navmap; I think it's the single best freeware project I've seen for flight sim.  It's a standalone app for flight planning and navigation, with ownship position on a moving map (and SO much more.)  You can easily mirror it to any other device connected to your home network, so it's easy to have the LNM map showing your position on a tablet next to you as you fly in the sim. Really good stuff. 

• Like 10

Andrew Crowley

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

Check out Little Navmap; I think it's the single best freeware project I've seen for flight sim.  It's a standalone app for flight planning and navigation, with ownship position on a moving map (and SO much more.)  You can easily mirror it to any other device connected to your home network, so it's easy to have the LNM map showing your position on a tablet next to you as you fly in the sim. Really good stuff. 

Cheers for this. It looks like it has loads of features. 

Worth noting though, are the charts long out of date or out of sync with MSFS. I don't use Navigraph. 

VVSP: Arrival as per simbrief, EMRIT EMRIT1C VTSP/09.

In Little Navmap 2.6.16, there's no arrival procedures EMRIT1C, nothing starting with E either.

NZAA: Departure as per simbrief: NZAA/23L LEVRA1P KARRL

In Little Navmap, I only have LENG1A and LENG2P, which are valid but different procedures. 

Is there a way to improve this so simbrief, MSFS and Littlenav map are at least similar?

Another common departure from NZAA23L is STEA1P, this is missing too.

10 hours ago, NZAA said:

Worth noting though, are the charts long out of date or out of sync with MSFS. I don't use Navigraph. 

In Little Navmap 2.6.16, there's no arrival procedures EMRIT1C, nothing starting with E either.

In Little Navmap, I only have LENG1A and LENG2P, which are valid but different procedures. 

Is there a way to improve this so simbrief, MSFS and Littlenav map are at least similar?

Not sure what you talking about exactly, but you can use whatever VFR/IFR/TAC chart you want in Little NavMap, as long as you put it in there.
A few examples right here:

t2dXye.png

You can also download a Navigraph alternative (free), let me try to get you the link and I'll post it ASAP.

Edited by tangerine

11 hours ago, NZAA said:

Switch to "Do not use Navigraph" in the scenery library menu if you do not use an updated Navigraph database. This gives you the simulator data.
From the manual:

43.1. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Airports and Navdata

• If you use the Navigraph update for MSFS: Update the Little Navmap database with the FMS Data Manager as well to keep the program in sync with the MSFS scenery library. Use the scenery mode Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures in the menu Scenery Library to get access to all procedures in Little Navmap. This is the default.

Also check the selection in menu Scenery Library -> Airspace Libraries. Select Navigraph and uncheck Simulator there.

• If you do not use the Navigraph update for MSFS: Use the scenery mode Do not use Navigraph Database in the menu Scenery Library to avoid issues with missing or changed navaids.

The selection in menu Scenery Library -> Airspace Libraries should have Simulator checked. Uncheck Navigraph there.

See Navigation Databases and FSX, Prepar3D and MSFS Airspaces for more background information on these settings.

See appendix Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 for information about MSFS limitations and issues.

Alex

• Like 1

Yes, so all the SIDS/STARS are long out of date.  MSFS and SimBrief use different versions so it's useless for IFR flying.

You can update it but you need a Navigraph subscriptions. 

So in summary it's useless. 

Er?  Useless just because it doesn't have up to date sids/stars?

I often use LNM  to plan my vatsim IFR flights.  Its autorouting feature makes this a snap.  Then, if sids/stars are applicable, I just reference real-world charts and choose an appropriate one.  It's pretty easy, and LNM still does most of the work for me... definitely don't think I'd call it useless.

And thinking about it, if you don't have a navigraph subscription (I don't either), then LNM is showing you the same data that is in your sim nav databases. If there's been a change, you can't fly it anyway, if you don't have navigraph, right? 

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 1

Andrew Crowley

1 hour ago, NZAA said:

Yes, so all the SIDS/STARS are long out of date.  MSFS and SimBrief use different versions so it's useless for IFR flying.

You can update it but you need a Navigraph subscriptions. 

So in summary it's useless. 

This could be what you are looking for:

https://simtoolkitpro.co.uk/

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 minute ago, Stearmandriver said:

Er?  Useless just because it doesn't have up to date sids/stars?

I often use LNM  to plan my vatsim IFR flights.  Its autorouting feature makes this a snap.  Then, if sids/stars are applicable, I just reference real-world charts and choose an appropriate one.  It's pretty easy, and LNM still does most of the work for me... definitely don't think I'd call it useless lol. 

For me yes, I'd prefer to stick with SimBrief for flightplanning as I can import the flight plan using the FBW A32NX.

If I could replicate here then i could follow my plan and progress which is what my orgingal post was about.

Of course i could get a Navigraph subscription but I just can't justify the price for how often I'd use it. Please don't take this as a criticism of the application, it's not. My comment was in relation to how I intend to use it.

• Like 1

I love little nav map.

If you are like me, good luck finding a performance profile for the Concorde. Aside from what everyone else has said, it allows you to create and share aircraft performance profiles & share with the community.

As long as you have charts, and they are mainly free, you can enter any DP or Star or shoot any available approach. It doesn't get any more real than that.

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

This could be what you are looking for:

https://simtoolkitpro.co.uk/

Same problem as Little NavMap. AIRAC in the tool is different to SimBrief and MSFS so planning can't be done

10 hours ago, NZAA said:

Same problem as Little NavMap. AIRAC in the tool is different to SimBrief and MSFS so planning can't be done

Can you elaborate on what you mean since your original question was,

"But I'm wondering if there's a tool that'll show my location as as well as my planned flight?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean since your original question was,

"But I'm wondering if there's a tool that'll show my location as as well as my planned flight?"

Elaborate? 

I either create a flight in simbrief but can't create it in Little Nav or SimTookKit as the SID/STAR are different. 

Or I create a flight plan here which then can't be used in the game for the very same reason?

It's like Pepsi and Coke... they're different!! How can you use them interchangeably? 

2 minutes ago, NZAA said:

Elaborate? 

I either create a flight in simbrief but can't create it in Little Nav or SimTookKit as the SID/STAR are different. 

Or I create a flight plan here which then can't be used in the game for the very same reason?

It's like Pepsi and Coke... they're different!! How can you use them interchangeably? 

You like to use simbrief. SimToolKit works perfectly with simbrief. You choose your aircraft, create your flights with simbrief, and load them into SimToolKit. Then you can watch your progress on the SimToolKit map. It even has weather overlays.

You can also create custom FPs with Little Nav Map, export the plan, then import with SimToolKit, the as above.

In real life after departure ATC takes over the flight from start to finish. If you want to fly full DPs & STARS in your sim, you can do that anytime you want by adding them to the FP as required.

If your goal is "situational awareness," that can be easily be achieved with "little nav map" (a moving map) or "simtoolkit."

Don't make it harder than it really is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You like to use simbrief. SimToolKit works perfectly with simbrief. You choose your aircraft, create your flights with simbrief, and load them into SimToolKit. Then you can watch your progress on the SimToolKit map. It even has weather overlays.

You can also create custom FPs with Little Nav Map, export the plan, then import with SimToolKit, the as above.

In real life after departure ATC takes over the flight from start to finish. If you want to fly full DPs & STARS in your sim, you can do that anytime you want by adding them to the FP as required.

If your goal is "situational awareness," that can be easily be achieved with "little nav map" (a moving map) or "simtoolkit."

Don't make it harder than it really is.

No it doesn't.

Use my examples above. Simbrief uses SID which aren't available in these two tools.