Sign in to follow this  
Marc2

Pitch Axe resistance compared to Honeycomb Alpha

Hi,

I tested the Honycomb Alpha  and found that the pitch axe is really to hard (force requested to pull and push the yoke). Is the force required for the pitch axe less for the Fulcrum yoke?

Is this yoke good for B737 and C172?

Thanks!!

The Fulcrum is a much better experience than the Alpha. More travel and feels much more natural. I tried out the Alpha and thought it was okay but wanted a better experience which the Fulcrum noticeably provides. If cost isn't an issue, pick the Fulcrum over the Alpha every time.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

The Honeycomb has around 3.5" of travel compared to the 8" of the Fulcrum. No comparison. Hall-effect sensors used in the Fulcrum means no pots to wear out. The force required to push and pull the Fulcrum increases the further away from the centre position. But in reality if you're pulling and pushing that much you're not flying realistically.

I use the Fulcrum for a PC12, B737, Lear25 and Concorde. Perfect for all of them.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

18 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The Honeycomb has around 3.5" of travel compared to the 8" of the Fulcrum. No comparison. Hall-effect sensors used in the Fulcrum means no pots to wear out. The force required to push and pull the Fulcrum increases the further away from the centre position. But in reality if you're pulling and pushing that much you're not flying realistically.

I use the Fulcrum for a PC12, B737, Lear25 and Concorde. Perfect for all of them.

My issue is not so much during flight, but more during the landing phase when you hold the yoke with one hand and needs to first compensate the retarding of the throttle then put the nose to the Horizon... I found that with the Honeycomb Alpha the force needed to reach this pitch effect was too much. Can I assume that with the fulcrum this force is less considering that probably you do not need the whole 8" travel for landing...?

• Like 1

@Marc2, you won't have any problems with the flare on landing. I can push and pull the yoke with one hand easily with the other on the throttles. No, you won't need all 8" but the extra movement makes fine adjustments very easy.

I've had the Fulcrum for 18 months now and am totally happy with it. I've tried the Honeycomb and for the price it's good value. But the Fulcrum is at another level and comparable to the Yoko which costs twice as much.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Marc2, you won't have any problems with the flare on landing. I can push and pull the yoke with one hand easily with the other on the throttles. No, you won't need all 8" but the extra movement makes fine adjustments very easy.

I've had the Fulcrum for 18 months now and am totally happy with it. I've tried the Honeycomb and for the price it's good value. But the Fulcrum is at another level and comparable to the Yoko which costs twice as much.

So the first 3-4 " of the Fulcrum pitch are really less tough then the Honeycomb, right? Similar than to the toughness of the Saitek?

I like the Fulcrum also just the case is so big...36 cm long I think... Its a bit a Problem because below my monitor I have the B737 MCP installed... These dimensions are the right ones?

Edited by Marc2

42 minutes ago, Marc2 said:

So the first 3-4 " of the Fulcrum pitch are really less tough then the Honeycomb, right? Similar than to the toughness of the Saitek?

I like the Fulcrum also just the case is so big...36 cm long I think... Its a bit a Problem because below my monitor I have the B737 MCP installed... These dimensions are the right ones?

I would say so, yes. I can push the Fulcum forwards 3" and back 3" with no great effort. I remember the earlier versions of the Honeycomb were ridiculously stiff. They have improved it but it still comes a distant second.

Here's my setup with a small stand with 3 separate feet to raise or lower it. The keyboard site on the forward part and my GoFlight MCP further back held down with Blu-tack.

Yes, 36cm depth is correct.

Ray_Fulcrum.jpg

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 4/28/2022 at 3:14 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I would say so, yes. I can push the Fulcum forwards 3" and back 3" with no great effort. I remember the earlier versions of the Honeycomb were ridiculously stiff. They have improved it but it still comes a distant second.

Here's my setup with a small stand with 3 separate feet to raise or lower it. The keyboard site on the forward part and my GoFlight MCP further back held down with Blu-tack.

Yes, 36cm depth is correct.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations! I just wanted to inform you that I finally decided to buy the Thrustmaster B737 edition and I am really amazed about the flying experience with this yoke. For B737 pilots it's a dream!! And flying a C172 is also just great!!  If somebody here want to buy it might be necessary to make a few adjustments on your table in order to have the best positioning of the yoke, to have the keyboard accessible and the MCP in case you have one visible:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hTGh3EfGiXs_cKAmWWSytE-ALosdquK3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgzmRiIe1_adv2lhThOQhi1zfSHe6jlG/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Photo removed in quoted reply
  • Like 1