Sign in to follow this  
Vapor

P3D v5 crash to desktop g2d.dll

I am having an issue with consistent crashes to desktop in P3D v5 with the following error message:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.3.17.28160, time stamp: 0x61e6ab02
Faulting module name: g2d.dll, version: 5.3.17.28160, time stamp: 0x61e6aa98
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000070d2be
Faulting process id: 0x3db4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8628effcf4e32
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\g2d.dll
Report Id: 9a03d226-e585-4a3d-942b-45b7302929cd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I researched to find information about this type of crash, and all of the fixes have not worked. I also double checked, and am well above the minimum specifications for the software, as well as I am only using addons that were created for P3D v5, and that I know work for others in P3D v5.

"An optimist built the airplane, a pessimist built the parachute."

Take look at this, from your error report:

"Exception code: 0xc0000005"

It means that "something" tried to write to an area of RAM where it had no access rights. This "something" is usually a badly programmed or incompatible add-on, and in all the cases of this exception code that I have seen, including on my own system, has proven to be that.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the error report that points to the culprit....

Jorgen

Edited by jorgensandersen
Spellcheck

Updating this old post with some new findings that may help you for those having this issue in the future. This was related to a g2d.dll crash to desktop of P3D v5.3 reported in the Windows Event Viewer with Exception code: 0xc0000005.

Symptoms:

I saw a reproducible crash to desktop of P3D v5.3 when loading the sim and setting the departure airport/gate. The sim had been working just fine with the same aircraft and over 55+ hrs of flight time then all of sudden this crash in the sim at one specific airport (ZBAA, WF Scenery Studios).  The CTD happened always during pre-flight procedures parked at the gate, but not at exactly the same time.

What had changed? Well I had recently installed a number of Asia pacific scenery add-ons from various developers.
One of these I finally discovered had changed my P3D texture resolution (normally set at 1024) to 4096!

The resulting effect was that at ZBAA which is a fantastic detailed airport, the VRAM on my graphics card showed 6.2Gb out of 6.9GB consumed i.e sim did not have enough VRAM to depict changing VC textures and scenery textures.No VRAM warning was displayed for being potentially out of memory.

Solution:

One change. I reset the texture resolution back to 1024. VRAM consumption was then reported as 3.5GB consumed. Reproducible CTD now resolved at same airport with same aircraft.

• Like 2

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!