Sign in to follow this  
Phil7789

A quick switch to rudder control would help a lot

Hey guys,

just a small suggestion to PBE. I think many of us are flying in an online network and it would be nice if we could quick switch to rudder control if we're getting pushback instruction that PBE cannot fulfill.

To bring a bit more context to it: I've used Toolbar Pushback with the pre-planning feature until 2 days ago where you had to wait for the instructions to pre-plan and then call the tug in which put some delay in actually starting the pushback.
I had a chat with my controller after a high traffic evening where he suggested to only use rudder pushbacks as delays in the pushback (when you ask for pushback clearance) can quickly clog up apron planning for them (as I happend to cause such a delay due to aforementioned work flow).

Now possible scenarios for this would be

1. pushback in some S form like into another taxiway behind your stand
  2. pushback abeam stand XY
  3. extend the pushback after you started to make room for other aircrafts

This is not a daily problem, but there are some periodic occasions for such instructions.

So now to the current "problem". If I'm using distance control, "pre-planning" my pushback direction and connecting to tug prior to clearance and the clearance is a conditional pushback like mentioned above this will cause a delay.
First I have to cancel my pushback causing the tug to drive away. Then I have to start PBE again, go into settings, change to rudder control, call in the tug again, wait for the connection and then start the pushback. I assume this will take up ~ 30 - 60 seconds until everything is set up again.

If we could quick switch to rudder mode with a button there wouldn't be any delays. We could keep the same pushback set (button or voice control) and if a conditional clearance is received we could just quick switch and commence as instructed.

Cheers,
Phil