Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Home Flight Deck

Hi Everyone,

One of my 'frustrations' with flight sim (any flight sim) is the loss of emersion when you have to grab your mouse or keyboard, scroll away from looking out the window to adjust things like auto pilot settings or turning on landing lights, seat belt signs etc.

I'm keen to build a panel at home which replicates some of these common features.  I fly FBW A320NX but more recently PMDG 737.

I'm not yet looking at the FMC/MCDU, just other common switches and panels. I'm also not trying to replicate the layout yet. Just want to adjust dials or switch things on/off. 

I'm curious as to where to get started? 

I've seen this module

https://www.mobiflight.com/en/documentation/module.html

but also native tools like below.

Does anyone have experience with these? I have a Arduino Leonardo board so would prefer to use that if I can

I’m using MobiFlight with an Arduino Mega. Pretty impressed with it. They have a WASM module that exposes a lot of the avionics that haven’t been brought into simconnect yet. Don’t know if it supports the Leonardo, though. 

Chris

18 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I’m using MobiFlight with an Arduino Mega. Pretty impressed with it. They have a WASM module that exposes a lot of the avionics that haven’t been brought into simconnect yet. Don’t know if it supports the Leonardo, though. 

Yeah it says they don't support it.

https://www.mobiflight.com/en/documentation/module.html

Where did you buy your board from? I can't seem to see one listed anywhere here in New Zealand so would need to find one with international shipping. 

MobiFlight does seem like plug and play a lot more and relies less on coding.

Not sure if a question in this forum might get you some more focused answers? 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/142-the-home-cockpit-support-forum/

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

There are many ways to do this. 

My favorite is AirManager.

I also like using Leo Bodnar boards for encoders and switches, very easy and no  programming skills needed.

Look for info on the WWW or on YouTube.

I currently use 4 Bodnar Boards and 3 Knobsters.

• Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

I'll admit building cockpits is a fun rabbit hole to go down, but for me personally, something about wiring every different aircraft into a pigeon hole designed around my set up and what works with what I have took away from the realism. Most aircraft are accessible through LVARs/Simconnect but, oh boy, it can take some time.  Granted, programming and figuring things out was a fun experience in its own right but I eventually got worn down.  A mouse is by no means ideal, but I eventually accepted the ease and fact that everything works right out of the box when you hover over it and click.  Some aircraft like the maddog just seem anti home cockpit.  The PMDG DC6 autopilot does weird things if you don't use the mouse, but it mostly works I guess.  I eventually settled on taking some quality of life improvements where I could with a few switches.  Maybe a runway clean up post landing, or simple switch for lights at the right time.  But switching back and forth between aircraft, something I do often, and trying to remember where a certain switch is became too cumbersome.  I get the appeal.  I appreciate the dedication but the ROI on switches, panels, etc. just never bore fruit for me.  An MMO mouse to move around views mixed with VR is relaxing and cheaper simplicity.  YMMV.

Leo Bodnar cards are the best for switches and encoders. Also use them for Hall Sensors needed to built 737 TQ. I also use the I/O boards from Flightdeck Solutions because it drives both inputs and outputs