Sign in to follow this  
jstnj

UI SID/STAR/Appch vs. ATC SID/STAR/Appch help

As Dave noted in this thread:

The visible flight plan is maintained by the pilot.  If ATC issues a clearance with a different procedure, it's up to the pilot to change it in the aircraft GPS/FMS, and if desired, in the P2A flight plan.  The change in P2A is optional since it does not drive the aircraft flight path like the GPS/FMS does.

Think of it as ATC having its own separate version of the flight plan, once you File it.

If you want to fly what you file, then you should uncheck the ATC Assigns xxx options and also check the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" option.

I am wondering whether it's possible to configure P2A to load the ATC-assigned approaches automagically.

The issue is, it's not intuitive (or I'm using it wrong):

1. You load/import a plan with SID/STAR/ETC
  2. Validate
  3. Takeoff and fly route
  4. ATC clears you for a descent that's different than your Validated STAR/Approach from step 2
  5. Confusion begins for me

1. Overriding the approach? Should I just unfile and refile?
    2. I already changed the approach and STAR in my aircraft MCDU, why do I have to do it twice?
    3. If i dont change the approach in P2A, do I still receive vectors based on my flight plan, or the one that ATC assigned?

Basically I would just like to know if there's an option to have ATC-assigned routing auto populate in P2A, its an immersion breaker to have to do everything twice (once in the sim, once in P2A)...especially during hectic approaches it becomes almost impossible to do all the things.

Edited by jstnj

You don't have to make the change in P2A UI in order for ATC to work correctly.  In fact, many users fly with P2A out of sight after Filing the plan.

Or, if you want to fly the route you file, then just uncheck the 3 "ATC Assigns SID/STAR/APPR" options on the FltPlan tab of config.  And check the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" option.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I occasionally experience a situation on approach where I have set, loaded and saved an approach into my P2ATC flight plan (running 2.6.3.1 on a Win 10 PC in MSFS) yet approach control gives me a completely different runway and approach.  On my most recent flight (and this has happened on other flights) I then asked approach for the approach and runway I had saved in the program...at that point everything went silent.  The program was showing my verbal request but no response.  I also tried Sayit...nothing.  Then tried tower and ground...everything was silent with no responses.

Any ideas?  Thanks,

Garry

Garry Lundberg

Sounds like something unrelated went wrong and caused the communications to stop.

However, if you want to fly the plan you File, then here are the required Config settings:

ATC Assigns SID, ATC Assigns STAR, ATC Assigns APPR - UNCHECK ALL 3

Force Pilot Runway Selection  - CHECK

If you want to select a departure runway without selecting a SID, just open the SID window and select the runway from the drop down, check the "Force Dep Rwy" option and press the Set Rwy button.

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

Thanks Dave,

Yes...I had those 3 unchecked and had the Force Pilot Runway Selection CHECKED...but no joy.

You commented about a runway and a SID...the issue was not a departure...but was an arrival.  I was VFR and had set up an approach to a specific runway with vectors to the IP.  I then clicked "Set Rwy" and clicked "Load"...which it did load into the flight plan.  But when I was handed off to Approach Control, I got a different runway and a different approach...actually no approach...just to report downwind.

Thanks,

Garry

Garry Lundberg

17 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Parece que algo no relacionado salió mal y causó que las comunicaciones se detuvieran.

Sin embargo, si desea volar el plan que archiva, aquí están los ajustes de configuración requeridos:

ATC asigna SID, ATC asigna STAR, ATC asigna APPR - DESMARQUE TODOS los 3

Selección de la pista del piloto de la fuerza - CHECK

Si desea seleccionar una pista de salida sin seleccionar un SID, simplemente abra la ventana sid y seleccione la pista en el menú desplegable, marque la opción "Force Dep Rwy" y presione el botón Establecer Rwy.

Dave

In the case of deactivating these options that you mention, if when arriving at the destination airport the winds have changed, we will be assigned another STAR, APP or keep the one we requested ? Thank you

When you make changes to the flight plan, ATC will not know about them.  As in the real world, you must either file the plan to transmit it to ATC or verbally request changes.  Filing should only be done before you begin a flight, so if you want an approach, make sure it's in the original flight plan.

When flying VFR, as in the real world, you would call up Approach or Tower and request an approach verbally when you are approaching the destination airport.  The normal VFR arrival is the standard VFR downwinid entry.  Anything else would have to be requested verbally (or with SayIt).

If you set tje options as described above, no changes will be made, regardless of winds.  You will be allowed to fly the filed flight plan.

Dave

17 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Cuando realice cambios en el plan de vuelo, ATC no los conocerá. Al igual que en el mundo real, debe presentar el plan para transmitirlo a ATC o solicitar cambios verbalmente. La presentación solo debe hacerse antes de comenzar un vuelo, por lo que si desea una aproximación, asegúrese de que esté en el plan de vuelo original.

Al volar VFR, como en el mundo real, llamaría a Approach o Tower y solicitaría un enfoque verbalmente cuando se acercara al aeropuerto de destino. La llegada normal de VFR es la entrada estándar de VFR downwinid. Cualquier otra cosa tendría que ser solicitada verbalmente (o con SayIt).

Si establece las opciones como se describe anteriormente, no se realizarán cambios, independientemente de los vientos. Se le permitirá volar el plan de vuelo presentado.

Dave

Perfect Dave

In that case I prefer to activate the options (assigned by P2A) and generate the flight plan from the program itself, so in case of wind variations I understand that I will be assigned an appropriate procedure to the meteorological situation

Thanks Dave...I was not requesting my approach upon first contact.  Will start doing that now.

Garry

Garry Lundberg