Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

one more hint...

Guest Vilk

...that it might really be about bottlenecks and balance, not about maximizing a single parameterhaving read one of mr. taylor's posts i tuned down the band_mult to 40 (from the usual greedy 400) and increased the buffer pool to 10M (have 512 on 7600GS). then i reset my overclocked hardware to factory speeds everywheremy test flight immediately lost all stutter and nearly doubled in frame rate. the performance remained consistent in other scenariosof course, it won't work for everyone, perhaps it won't work for anyone. but fsx is light years ahead now of fs9, even on my antique p4 3.2ps. phil, two thumbs up from a fellow software professional, who wishes to have as much patience as you do one day :-)

It's all about "balance" whether you have a high-end PC or middle type.I have single core 2.4ghz amd64 with ati X850xt agp. And I got my system well balanced with smooth flights now: no stutters, no blurries.Fiber at .45trees/cell at 2500objects/cell at 800Scenery complexity = Denseautogen = NormalLow water 2xAI airlines 0-20% (not more, it's a real fps killer)AI GA 50%Pierre

Pierre

Couldn't agree more, to get the most out of FSX you need to find which settings agree with your system, your flying style etc... Using different configs for different regions is a must as well, and although there is difference in quality between my rural and city settings, it's not a large enough difference to detract from the enjoyment of the sim.Ian.

Hi Vilk,"having read one of mr. taylor's posts i tuned down the band_mult to 40 (from the usual greedy 400)"Yes, I can't understand why some folk are still advocating settings as high as 400 when the default setting (as reflected by the initial ProcSpeed and PerfBucket settings when fsx.CFG is first created) seems to work best for most of us. There may be one exception and that is TileProxy/FSX performance since SP1. This is a temporary workaround as part of an attempt to resolve a rather disappointing degradation of high resolution texture loading performance (since FSX RTM) near to the a/c.Look in fsx.CFG immediately after first creation:If the values for ProcSpeed and PerfBucket are around '1885' and '2' respectively, then TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT is likely to be '30'. If ProcSpeed and PerfBucket are around, say, '4629' and '6', then TBM will be '40'. That's what I have observed and, presumably, these values (30 and 40) have been shown by ACES, as a result of extensive testing, to give the best results for the machine specs in use. Things were different in FS9 days but FSX, as we are learning, is quite a different animal.Mike