Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

MSFS will not open

18 minutes ago, harrry said:

Are you running as admin

8 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

If I follow the windows search/Notepad/run as administrator/File/Open/navigate to windows/system32/drivers/etc and open, there are no file

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

"Contact the administrator to obtain permission” error. Hit the start menu or press the Windows key and start typing Notepad. Right-click Notepad and choose Run as administrator. Now you'll be able to edit and save changes to your HOSTS file.3 Sept 2021"

Hello all,

I have just copied this advice from the internet.  It does NOT work. 

I am getting a notification that states

"C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.txt 

You don't have permission to save in this location.

Contact the administrator to obtain permission"

I have asked myself if I can do this as I am the administrator. I have given myself permission but that is not working either LOL.

How can I achieve this and save my amended hosts file please

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

What you have is the problem we have always had of editing files in system folders (remember fsx)    

this video...which thankfully you can watch with the sound off may help.

You may als be better logging into your machine as admisnistrator and not your logon and doing it there (You always have an administrator logon in a windows machine]

'

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

Harry,

I am and that is not helping either LOL

Waiting with bated breath

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

25 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Harry,

I am and that is not helping either LOL

Waiting with bated breath

Regards

Tony

breathe again..I have edited the post......it could also be a way of driving teenage daughters mad,

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

Hello all,

Well I have finally managed to delete the offending two lines in the host file and save the changes.

"You beauty" I thought and fired up MSFS again. However, the same thing is happening so I went back into the windows/system32/drivers/etc and I now have a hosts file and a hosts text document. The text document is the one with the deleted entries, but the hosts file still contains the offending two lines.

I cannot delete the hosts file because of the lack of permission to do so. Where do I go to from here .... can anybody help me.

Would uninstalling or deleting the google earth programme followed up with yet another MSFS uninstall and reinstall do the trick?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

Well I have finally managed to delete the offending two lines in the host file and save the changes.

"You beauty" I thought and fired up MSFS again. However, the same thing is happening so I went back into the windows/system32/drivers/etc and I now have a hosts file and a hosts text document. The text document is the one with the deleted entries, but the hosts file still contains the offending two lines.

I cannot delete the hosts file because of the lack of permission to do so. Where do I go to from here .... can anybody help me.

Would uninstalling or deleting the google earth programme followed up with yet another MSFS uninstall and reinstall do the trick?

Regards

Tony

Try running the windows editor as admin and then edit the not-the-textfile.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

rka,

Thanks mate, your advice put me on the right track. Could not work out how to with windows editor so I downloaded and installed notebook ++. I was then able to configure (under compatibility) it to run as administrator. I opened it and navigated to the host file and deleted it, Saved and rebooted and then MSFS loaded for the first time in three weeks plus.

I cannot thank you enough sir.

Regards

Tony

• Like 4

Tony Chilcott.

I have not used the Google scenery mod, but I really think the page on flightsim.to should have a warning in big, bold, red letters that the mod will make changes to your hosts file, and if you're unsure of what that involves and how you fix any problems, then you should proceed with caution.

• Like 2