Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

About the CJ4 PFD panel

Is this just in my system?  The figures are too small and I can't see them.  This is on a 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor.

Amazon.com: Dell S2716DG LED with G Sync 27" Gaming Computer Monitor : Electronics

spacer.png

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

They're definitely hard to see even on my 2k 27" screen.  Are you using the WT mod though?  That might slightly improve things.

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/cj4/

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No, I'm not using the WT mod but will try it out. 

I wonder if the real-life version is also like that.  It's hard to believe if that is the case in real life given the gazillion dollars it costs to buy the plane. With hard to view panels (at least for some), I wonder what the rational would be for not improving the design and readability of the panel for all to see. 

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

They're definitely hard to see even on my 2k 27" screen.  Are you using the WT mod though?  That might slightly improve things.

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/cj4/

You were correct about 'slightly'. It's underwhelming. It seems like a waste of time for all concerned.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

39 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

You were correct about 'slightly'. It's underwhelming. It seems like a waste of time for all concerned.

Are you saying the mod is underwhelming or the change in font size was underwhelming?

The mod is amazing and vastly changes the CJ4 from default.  The text size may be about the same size though.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Text size. Unless I'm mistaken, it's still unreadable, and I am not able to appreciate mod improvements. So I'm not sure what all the good does, if it still can't be read and used to full effect. Is there a way to at least adjust the font size and color?

Edited by bofhlusr

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

8 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Text size. Unless I'm mistaken, it's still unreadable, and I am not able to appreciate mod improvements. So I'm not sure what all the good does, if it still can't be read and used to full effect. Is there a way to at least adjust the font size and color?

Readability of the gauges is subjective; related to your resolution, MSFS settings, GPU control panel settings, etc.

Have you tried increasing the "Render Scaling" in the MSFS Graphics Settings?  It can greatly improve readability of smaller gauge text.

Trust me, the WT CJ4 is anything but 'underwhelming' and 'hardly worth it'.  It can't do a lot for the PFD readbility as that is correctly scaled for the real aircraft.  Making it huge so it would be easy to read would make the simulation into a toy.  There are vast amounts of avionic and systems upgrades integrated into the mod, all created for free by the developers.

If you have a low resolution monitor, or can't run higher graphics settings (I know that feeling, I'm on a mid-range system), or perhaps eyesight is an issue for some, then the CJ4 may simply not be the best choice of aircraft to enjoy in the sim, because the Collins screens are older generation compared to later G1000/G3000/G5000 systems.  In the real aircraft, they are smaller screens but are quite easy to read as long as eyesight is ok (or augmented with lenses).

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

16 minutes ago, JYW said:

Have you tried increasing the "Render Scaling" in the MSFS Graphics Settings?  It can greatly improve readability of smaller gauge text.

Trust me, the WT CJ4 is anything but 'underwhelming' and 'hardly worth it'.  It can't do a lot for the PFD readbility as that is correctly scaled for the real aircraft.  Making it huge so it would be easy to read would make the simulation into a toy.  There are vast amounts of avionic and systems upgrades integrated into the mod, all created for free by the developers.

If you have a low resolution monitor, or can't run higher graphics settings (I know that feeling, I'm on a mid-range system), or perhaps eyesight is an issue for some, then the CJ4 may simply not be the best choice of aircraft to enjoy in the sim, because the Collins screens are older generation compared to later G1000/G3000/G5000 systems.  In the real aircraft, they are smaller screens but are quite easy to read as long as eyesight is ok (or augmented with lenses).

I just increased the "Render Scaling" from 100 to the 200 max but I still find the text hard to read. I guess I'll just have to continue waiting for a business jet other than what's available now. Hopefully, some dev will come up with a decent Bombardier, Learjet or Dassault biz jet with more readable displays soon.

I didn't realize a 2560 x 1440 monitor is considered low resolution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

33 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

I just increased the "Render Scaling" from 100 to the 200 max but I still find the text hard to read. I guess I'll just have to continue waiting for a business jet other than what's available now. Hopefully, some dev will come up with a decent Bombardier, Learjet or Dassault biz jet with more readable displays soon.

I didn't realize a 2560 x 1440 monitor is considered low resolution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just thinking, did you try adjusting the brightness of the PFD.   There are a lot of knobs in the CJ4 and I can't remember off the top of my head where the PFD brightness adjustment knob is (!) .... but there is one.

I've found adjusting brightness with some screens/gauges in MSFS does improve readability.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Interestingly the best way to increase the readability is VR. You can sit closer to the gauges without sacrificing outside view. The text itself is less sharp but way bigger and in the end more readable because of that. 

In cruise that is less important so you can simply zoom a bit closer. But yeah... gauges on that plane are not great. Contrast is pretty low too. It might make sense to have an option to sacrifice a bit of realism and increase the font size to make it more readable. In real life no one would fly with gauges that can't be read well. If that would be the case the font would be increased as well. 

• Like 1

Totally agree with the readability problem. I wanted to try to learn this wonderful plane but just couldn't believe I could absolutely not read the text in my rift s.

I  tried to improve it but, as long a i dont buy a better headset, this plane is unusable to me.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:13 PM, bofhlusr said:

Is this just in my system?  The figures are too small and I can't see them.  This is on a 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor.

Amazon.com: Dell S2716DG LED with G Sync 27" Gaming Computer Monitor : Electronics

spacer.png

I use PFD on a POP OUT to 12" touch screen - seems to handle the problem ( i had too) for small fonts.  Popouts also seem to be brighter than the cockpit.

Im curious to know if there is any hardware that you can buy to emulate any of hte CJ4 cockpit ??I keep running into Boeing 737 panels - they look similar but have no idea if they actually work for Citation ?