Sign in to follow this  
Fizzelle

NZ Plan help (NZMS to NZGT)

Greetings everyone

I want to take my Cessna 152 from and to the above airports.

Is anyone able to offer a proper RW flight plan based on the limitations of this aircraft? Presumably I take off and head down the sound towards the sea and fly North up the coast but how to approach Glentanner correctly avoiding Mt Cook? I note that Glentanner has instrument procedures in place, according to SkyVector. I could turn North up the valley immediately after take off but I'm not sure the aeroplane has climbing capabilities to negotiate the rapid climbing required, let alone anticipated turbulence!

It's doing my head in. Can any pilots familiar with this area kindly advise? Yes I'm a novice!

With many thanks.

I took a quick glance on the route between these two airports.

I'm not a kiwi, but have done my fair share of VFR flying the last couple of years. 

I have a route proposal below. It will take you along the southern coastline of "South Island", overflying Christchurch. This route will take you inbound Glentanner from the South (over Lake Pukaki). This ensures a lower MSA and will require less performance from your trusty C152.

Cruise altitude 6.500ft,  MSA in brackets. (again I have no clue if this route would legally work in real life, airspace wise)

NZMS - ONOKI (3500) - WARDS (3900)- STONY (6300) - HODDE (3100) - OMULI (6300) - IDPAX (4100) -NZGT

327NM
98KTAS / 65% power / ISA
3:20 ETE (zero wind condition)

Looking at the POH, the range at 65% doesn't leave much headroom, especially if you have headwinds enroute. But that's the beauty of simulators. It allows us to be bold pilots 🤐

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Thank you for your most helpful suggestion. I'll give it a whirl!

Any RW pilots out there flown this route and, if so, how would you do it if any different?

Sounds like you mean Milford Sound, and not Masterton (NZMS) which is a long way north, though I could recommend a few great cross country routes from there also, as it is my RL base for flying.

Here's what I would do. This has no regard for ATC or controlled airspace, just the best scenic route. If you have Accuseason, I suggest you set your date to late April to see the spectacular autumnal colours in this area. Also if you have the ORBX mesh for NZ, the terrain will be a lot more accurate.

Depart Milford and head west, climb to cross the homer saddle at 5000ft and follow the valley out. There is a road running along the floor of this valley, when you see it go out of sight to the right, make a right turn of about 60 degrees. There is then a mountain range in front of you with a couple of saddles that lead to Lake Wakatipu (Queenstown). Track via the southern shore of the lake past Queenstown, admiring the Remarkables Range at your right as you pass. Carry on past the airport to follow the Kawerau gorge to Cromwell.

From Cromwell track NNE along the eastern shore of lake Dunstan and follow the highway (State Highway 8 ) up and over the Lindis Pass (3500ft) then down to Omarama. Keep following SH8 to the southern end of Lake Pukaki and then up to NZGT from there. This part of the country has a most stunning barren feel to it. I'm not sure if MSFS2020 has the colour of Lake Pukaki correct as I haven't flown down there VFR but in real life it is a brilliant turquoise blue due to the glacial flour deposited in the lake.

Google KMZ showing the rough plan here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-TymIbGPEC0Qwsk508q6GvfRXly510EH/view?usp=sharing

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thank you - I did mean Milford Sound indeed. My (very) bad.

I'm grateful for your suggestions.