Tally ho folks,

I have just built a new PC but the i12900ks is currently running at max 3.4Ghz - I was under the impression that there was some kind of turbo mode on these CPUs that would take them up to 5.xGhz without doing all that awful overclocking rubbish (changing voltages etc.) Does anyone know if it’s possible or how to do it? I just feel I’m not quite using the CPU’s full potential at the moment.

Is it steady at 3.4?

Anyhow, reboot and reset BIOS at defaults, that will operate between 3.4 and 5.5. Initially no XMP, if steady, restart and enable XMP.

No need to overclock this CPU, it will get high temps. But you can follow this guy 

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Thank you very much for that. It is steady at 3.4GHz when MSFS 2020 is running (obviously it’s idling at much less than that). I’ve reset BIOS to defaults but it won’t go above 3.4. I was hoping that there would just be a single-click option that allowed the CPU to go up to 5.5 without issue but I guess it’s probably not that beneficial. I just find that hard to believe! 

Edited by rondon9898

I'm afraid that we might need more info about PC specs. Especially MOBO, otherwise we guess a lot.
But for sure if when you run Task Manager and you only see 3.4 or less there is some issue or settings problem.
Let's try something else before anything else.  Please, go to Power Options and check the power plan, I have mine at High Performance and it never drops below 4.7 GHZ. 

• Upvote 1

Use HWMonitor APP this will show the max boost on the right column after you exit the program or sim.

Screenshot (484)

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX. Did you mean power options in the BIOS or in Windows? Thank you for your help

Forgive me - I’ve set high performance in the Windows power plan but it just remains at 3.4GHz.

Edited by rondon9898

1 hour ago, rondon9898 said:

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX. Did you mean power options in the BIOS or in Windows? Thank you for your help

Forgive me - I’ve set high performance in the Windows power plan but it just remains at 3.4GHz.

Sorry, in Windows.

• Upvote 1

As Raymond mentioned it would be interesting to run HWMonitor and see what are the actual temperatures.
This app is good for that. We need to make sure that you're not in a situation where you throttle back due to high temps.
This is very interesting. Also, I would suggest the Intel Extreme Tuning utility (without OC) which will show lots of important information. The RAM speed is the default, you need to set XMP 1 in bios to be at 5200. In most cases XMP2 will create issues.
One more thing, see if there is an update on BIOS, sometimes it will fix many issues.

• Upvote 1

You need to check clock speed with hwinfo or hwmonitor when running the sim as @G-RFRYwrote. You are probably just looking at a display of the base speed of the CPU.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

One more thing, in Aorus Bios, under Tweaker, try to set the profile to "gaming profile" or "Max performance profile" versus "default". After that, if you don't feel comfortable installing any monitor software, check the task manager and see what is showing in the task manager your CPU speed. It should fluctuate up and down (min x max based on load). If that's the case it's an indication that is working OK.
After that, if it is a situation of throttling (overheating) it will keep the CPU speed at low values.  If that's the case, all the other apps will help to identify the problem. It might be that one core is overheating and MOBO will try to protect based on that, sometimes if it is a weak CPU only one core not running properly will lower the speeds. Depending (if that's the issue) you can actually dial down the speed on that particular core to stay within limits. This is just a temporary fix for a faulty CPU and you might have to replace it based on that. Cores don't run at even temperatures (you might see +/- 20 degrees difference), but if only one is triggering a situation like that and is over those values you might be able to tune it down but is affecting the whole performance just based on that.
Please look at that video clip and you will see what I'm talking about.
Not to depress you, in my case I replaced two CPUs just for that reason, they are not perfect, and especially 12900s they can heat up quickly and throttle down and stay at base speed.

• Upvote 1

It had something to do with the BIOS version because I can see in the BIOS that it’s now running at 5.2Ghz - the only problem is I now can’t boot the computer and it just shows me a screen with UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2, a mapping table and loads of other rubbish. What a fool I was trying to update the BIOS. It is absolutely absurd at this point that BIOS updating is still a virtually impossible task. It should be possible with one click and no issues. I will necessarily be delayed now in carrying out your recommendations as I desperately find a way to get the computer to boot the OS again. Absolutely unbelievable.

Nothing to worry about.
I know it's frustrating, please follow this.

I can monitor your post for another let's say 2 hrs and try to help.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks you for the kind words. Let's hope 4 the best.

I'm still here.

• Upvote 1