Sign in to follow this  
UKflyer

Maximum ground traffic

Hi, 

Is there a maximum aircraft on ground setting? All the a/c is amazing but the performance in MSFS is quite poor.

Thank you

Edit: % parked setting has really helped changing the static aircraft count to 0

Edited by UKflyer

You can reduce static parked aircraft to 0 indeed. You cannot reduce the number of live (parked and moving) aircraft at the ground, live = live.

You could set lateral range to 8nm, to have as little aircraft in the air as possible, if you are only interested in the airport. 

However, static parked aircraft do not affect the performance a lot, they are standing still you know.

I don't have performance problems with a 4 years old moderate PC. I think you need to scale down your scenery sliders....

Thanks, i get 50-60 fps in the air but the ground performance is bad with traffic, i think this is a known problem with MSFS (it's on their bug list to look at). I got an extra 10 fps 25 to 35 when setting parked a/c to 0 so will do for now.

If you don't have performance problems I highly suggest spawning in at LFPG, LFPO, EGLL or EGKK and watch what happens. My high end system catches on fire.  What we really need besides a lateral range and pecentage based reduction is the ability to define how many aircraft PSX can inject total.   FSUPIC use to have a function on P3D that you could type in a hard number value (say 75 in this example) and it would only ever allow 75 total aircraft around the player's plane, on the ground or in the air.    It would also be nice if PSX had the option to only inject traffic at our departure and destination airport plus enroute traffic in the air.  There are several places in the world where I have to turn PSX off when arriving or departing because there are TWO massive airports next to each other.     KDFW vs KDAL,  EGLL vs EGKK, LFPG vs LFPO are some great examples of where PSX is not usable because it allows far to many aircraft to spawn into the sim.  And KLAX is out of the question as there are 6 major airports within a 20 mile range of it and KJFK with KEWR and KLGA right next to it makes PSX unsable in New York as well.  All the real traffic just melts the CPU.  This is where a hard cap option would be nice to have but I am not sure if MSFS SimConnect is sophisticated enough to allow this option.   I am going to assume no because FSUIPIC version 7 still does not have the AI limiter option that it had on P3D still for MSFS2020.    Any plans to further let us limit the amount of real traffic around us like this so that unsable scenarios can become usable?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

1 hour ago, Kuragiman said:

It would also be nice if PSX had the option to only inject traffic at our departure and destination airport plus enroute traffic in the air. 

That's what it does ...

If you enter your destination airport while you are flying to it, it will only spawn ground traffic at your destination, not at nearby airports.

Note that PSXT already exists for 7 years now. This problem was noticed in FSX/P3D in the beginning with EGLL and EGKK, so I changed that already long time ago.

Edited by kiek

1 hour ago, Kuragiman said:

If you don't have performance problems I highly suggest spawning in at LFPG, LFPO, EGLL or EGKK and watch what happens 

Strange, I've been at EGLL many times, no problems at all, even with 120 live aircraft.

I suggest that you switch back your sliders or use a lower resolution. And use (but I assume that you already do that) real AI aircraft packages, not flyable aircraft for injecting.

Edited by kiek

12 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

This is where a hard cap option would be nice to have but I am not sure if MSFS SimConnect is sophisticated enough to allow this option.  

That has nothing to do with SimConnect. PSXT could limit the traffic. I will look into it, to see if I can introduce that option.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kiek said:

That has nothing to do with SimConnect. PSXT could limit the traffic. I will look into it, to see if I can introduce that option.

That would be great to have that as another limiting option!  Thanks for looking into it! 

I have a 9900k running at 5ghz with a 3080OC and 32gig of RAM and I am running on mostly High settings with all my LOD sliders at 100.  I can't go any lower than that without the sim looking unpleasing to the eye.  The only two setings I have on ultra are Clouds and Pre-Caching.   Even with that iniBuilds EGLL runs only at 40 FPS with PSX off.  When I turn it on and it spawns in 35% parked traffic + live traffic my FPS is 15-20.  Unusable at that point.  I'd love to know what settings you are using to not have a problem at places like EGLL.

That is good to know that it ignores drawing ground traffic at not important airports for the flight though I assume LIVE ground traffic will still be at airports around me regardless of destination?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

24 minutes ago, kiek said:

Strange, I've been at EGLL many times, no problems at all, even with 120 live aircraft.

I suggest that you switch back your sliders or use a lower resolution. And use (but I assume that you already do that) real AI aircraft packages, not flyable aircraft for injecting.

Impressive.   I am usnig AIG traffic only and what lower resolution are you referring to?  I already run my scaling at 75 percent.

100454.png

Brian Navy

9 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

though I assume LIVE ground traffic will still be at airports around me regardless of destination?

No there is only live ground traffic at your origin or destination airport, nowhere else.

And you have to be close to your destination airport, and PSXT must have load the airport file, before live ground traffic appears.

Edited by kiek

I can't go any lower than that without the sim looking unpleasing to the eye.  

That's nonsense of course, it is a lot better then FS in 1984...;-) 

I'd love to know what settings you are using to not have a problem at places like EGLL.

My PC: i5 8600K at 3.6 GHz, 16Mb RAM, GTX 1070ti with 8Mb, Windows 11.

Here are my Graphics settings.

And this is how it all looks at EGLL MSFS Asobo addon, with 35% park and 12 nm lateral resulting in 66 static aircraft, 3 live parked aircraft and 33 live aircraft and a FPS of 34.

You should really consider lowering your graphics settings, they are much too demanding imho.

EDIT: I don't think I'll add a hard cap on the number of live aircraft. It really is not necessary if you lower your settings or if you don't do that you can always set lateral range to 5nm and perc parked at 0. But what's the fun of seeing a good looking airport at 60fps without moving ground traffic and no parked aircraft at gates? Note that 30fps is sufficient for a flight simulator application. This is not a shooting game.

I'll lower the minimum lateral range value to 2 nm in the next version.

Edited by kiek

I am going to assume no because FSUIPIC version 7 still does not have the AI limiter option that it had on P3D still for MSFS2020.   

Don't use the FSUIPC AI limiter (in P3D/FSX) or in MSFS (if it would become available). It will disturb the administration of aircraft PSXT is keeping. You cannot have two captains on a ship. See the Manual 8.1

Edited by kiek

6 hours ago, kiek said:

That's nonsense of course, it is a lot better then FS in 1984...;-) 

You should really consider lowering your graphics settings, they are much too demanding imho.

EDIT: I don't think I'll add a hard cap on the number of live aircraft. It really is not necessary if you lower your settings or if you don't do that you can always set lateral range to 5nm and perc parked at 0. But what's the fun of seeing a good looking airport at 60fps without moving ground traffic and no parked aircraft at gates? Note that 30fps is sufficient for a flight simulator application. This is not a shooting game.

I'll lower the minimum lateral range value to 2 nm in the next version.

I use to preach this ideology of No More than 30 FPS until MSFS came out and my modern hardware could run the sim at full screen on an ultra wide monitor with high settings at 60 FPS or more depending on location.    I have played around with frame locking and all that jazz, I have since the FSX days but MSFS does not need this if you have high end hardware.   Its like setting up a buffet table for a fat hungry man but only letting him have a plate with a single cracker on it.    The SIM wants mmmmmmore!      And 30 FPS on a 3440 x 1440p is very noticeable on frame skipping when panning the view around vs. 60 fps.   Its not so bad on 1080p but ultra wide it is very jarring to the eyes when looking around.   Sure its smmmmoooooth if you just look straight ahead but I look around a lot so I abandoned frame locking. 

I guess I will fiddle with % settings for the monster airports.  Set them down at like 10% instead of 35% and pull the lateral range in more.   I don't like to go lower than 20 because I love seeing the AI on the TCAS display.    

Thanks for the help and suggestions.   Great program.   Don't think I will be switchign back to any other AI solution.  PFSX and Real Traffic give the best results possible in MSFS.

• Like 1

100454.png

Brian Navy

I think the performance issue is that many of the AIG models have really huge texture-files and no-LOD. When at EGLL there is always a lot of ground and air traffic, simply because it's one of the busiest airspaces in the world. I use to set the parking % to a sweet spot on any given megaairport so I can have acceptable frame-rates.

This sweet-spot will vary from airport to airport, and from user system to user system, so I think the option of setting the % from airport to airport in the airport-files is the best overall solution.

ANd btw I prefer real traffic, so I can sacrifice some static aircraft and still keep the live ones.

Edited by vhaaland