Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Fitting Honeycomb Yoke and Throttles.

Hi,

I have a CH yoke mounted to my desk which has a pullout keyboard. I'm thinking of getting a Honeycomb yoke and throttle setup but I want to make sure they will fit my desk. 

There is a 2 1/2 in. clearance from the bottom of the desk to the slide out keyboard desk. With the keyboard in place the  CH Yoke mounting screws just clear the top of the keyboard with about 1 cm. but the keyboard moves freely when the keyboard shelf slides out.

I understand the yoke and throttle come with stick on mounts as an option. I'm afraid if they are used they may be hard to remove or harm the surface. Any ideas? Thanks.

I can only speak for the Bravo throttle.

From the buttom of the desk to the bottom of the clamp turn knob its ~3 1/4 inches.

But I think the Alpha yoke uses the same mounting solution, so it should be the same for it.

So yes, the only option for you is using the adhesive pads on the buttom of the mounting plate. I don't have any experience with it but I think it should not harm your desk if you want to remove it afterwards, at least I haven't heard something bad about it yet,

Edited by Lusche
too early to think

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

On 7/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, Lusche said:

I can only speak for the Bravo throttle.

From the buttom of the desk to the bottom of the clamp turn knob its ~3 1/4 inches.

But I think the Alpha yoke uses the same mounting solution, so it should be the same for it.

So yes, the only option for you is using the adhesive pads on the buttom of the mounting plate. I don't have any experience with it but I think it should not harm your desk if you want to remove it afterwards, at least I haven't heard something bad about it yet,

I have a Bravo quadrant and until a few weeks ago is used the adhesive pad. Since I use the same desk for other things besides flightsimming I have to be able to remove the Bravo a few times each week. That worked quite well until a few weeks ago when the adhesive pad seemed more willing to seperate itself from the mounting plate than my desk!
After that, part of the adhesive pad did not want to stick very well to the mounting plate and I could not mount the Bravo to my desk properly. Everytime I pulled on of the levers down the back of the Bravo would move.

I was looking for a replacement pad but they are sold out at the moment. Besides, Honeycomb does not deliver outside the USA, so e.g. in Europe there are no spare parts available.
Luckily I can use the clamps for my desk so it is not a showstopper for me but without spare parts, the only way to get the pad functioning again is glueing it to the mounting plate. That might make it impossible to replace it if I ever need to and probably will void the warranty.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

I have a Bravo quadrant and until a few weeks ago is used the adhesive pad. Since I use the same desk for other things besides flightsimming I have to be able to remove the Bravo a few times each week. That worked quite well until a few weeks ago when the adhesive pad seemed more willing to seperate itself from the mounting plate than my desk!
After that, part of the adhesive pad did not want to stick very well to the mounting plate and I could not mount the Bravo to my desk properly. Everytime I pulled on of the levers down the back of the Bravo would move.

I was looking for a replacement pad but they are sold out at the moment. Besides, Honeycomb does not deliver outside the USA, so e.g. in Europe there are no spare parts available.
Luckily I can use the clamps for my desk so it is not a showstopper for me but without spare parts, the only way to get the pad functioning again is glueing it to the mounting plate. That might make it impossible to replace it if I ever need to and probably will void the warranty.

Did you try cleaning the pad with water or alcohol wipes and let it dry?

It should become almost like new afterwards. At least that's the case if they are still using the 3M pads.

Edited by Lusche

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

2 hours ago, Lusche said:

Did you try cleaning the pad with water or alcohol wipes and let it dry?

It should become almost like new afterwards. At least that's the case if they are still using the 3M pads.

I might be mistaken but as far as I could tell the top side of the adhesive pad is glued to the mounting plate. That glue is probably there to prevent the adhesive pad to stick to the desktop instead of the mounting pad when removing.

Except, I did clean the pad (with plain water) and after that it stuck so well to my desktop that when I tried to remove it, it did not want to let go of my desktop but rather separate from the mounting plate, despite the glue. . There are two levers at the back that are supposed to help lift the mounting plate but all they did was bend the mounting plate.
If that happens to you, be very patiënt when remove the mounting place to give it time to get unstuck slowly. Once the glue between the mounting plate and the pad has separated it won't stick as well so at first nothing seems wrong.

In my case it's not as bad since the clamps are actually more practical than I though.

@Flaps30You could also mount the yoke and throttle to a plank next to each other and mount the plank with clamps to your desk. That way you can perhaps bypass the keyboard tray.
I used that solution when I still had the CH yoke and Throttle quadrant. I now have the Fulcrum yoke which is much to heavy for such a solution but it might work with the Honeycomb's.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5