Sign in to follow this  
Rogen

Adding Faux Ambient Occlusion to P3D

Unfortunately depth map access in P3D is partial meaning the standard AO filters or any other filter that relies on a depth map cannot at present be used.

Probably relates to the engine design given LM haven't added AO as yet, that said it should be possible as I used AO filters in Flight Sim World successfully.

The shader tool used is Reshade and the filter is the AstrayFX\Depth Cues with the No Depth Map option enabled.

Probably best to see the effect by opening each pic in a new tab and then swapping between.

Cheers

Filter Not Applied:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Filter Applied:

Filter Not Applied:

Filter Applied:

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Nice thanks!

Reshade definitely makes a nice improvement on P3D v4.5.

I use the Deband filter to get rid of the awful colour banding in the sky during dawn/dusk/night. Also the Ambient Light filter makes everything much brighter and even works intelligently by increasing it's intensity when the skies are clear and not cloudy.

Edited by DModjo

9 hours ago, DModjo said:

Nice thanks!

Reshade definitely makes a nice improvement on P3D v4.5.

I use the Deband filter to get rid of the awful colour banding in the sky during dawn/dusk/night. Also the Ambient Light filter makes everything much brighter and even works intelligently by increasing it's intensity when the skies are clear and not cloudy.

Does it work in v5.3?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

11 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Does it work in v5.3?

Yes, although I’m not sure either are necessary in 5.3 as the lighting is generally better. Not sure about colour banding. I’ve not used 5+.

21 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Does it work in v5.3?

Yes it does.

A couple of things to be aware of.

The below entry is needed in the prepar3d.cfg

[USERINTERFACE]

// Set UIHardwareAcceleration from True (the default) to False to enable reshade use.
UIHardwareAcceleration=False

I rename the reshade dll to d3d11.dll to avoid issues, e.g. I use Action! to record which crashes if the dll name is the default of dxgi.dll

You'll need the reshade package that includes addon support, "ReShade_Setup_5.2.2_Addon.exe"

I choose to download all the shader addons when a new reshade version is installed, then cull out those I don't want, shaders end up in ~\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\reshade-shaders.

And then you set where you want screen grabs to go, frame counter, hotkeys etc.

Have fun 😀

Cheers

There are some fairly wacky shaders in the various packages, tiltshift is interesting one for that miniature model look.

spacer.png

One of the more wacky ones.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D