Sign in to follow this  
Ghostdealer

How to disable gold text, force me to repeat?

Hello,

I am a new flight sim user as well as a new Pilot2ATC user. I am trying to learn as much as possible when it comes to ATC communication. I would like to be able to queue up my mic and repeat "or confirm" the last ATC message that's displayed in gold, rather than it doing it for me. I have tried turning off co pilot responds to radio / co pilot changes frequencies. This turns off the audio portion of him responding, but the gold text is still there, and if I try and repeat it myself, I get an error from ATC.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated, as I'm preparing to go to flight school and train to be a commercial pilot :)

On the speech tab You need to uncheck the boxes for co pilot options, disable output hit key options and responds to radio.  Under the Btn tab, set the PPT key and enable it.  if you do want the FO to respond to ATC use the Say It joystick button.   This is what I do and I have full control with ATC.  I use SAY It when doing a IRF readback because P2A doesn't know how to say Cleared to Santa Barbra for example.  Use the Training Voice, it is really important for P2A to understand you.   I spent a lot of time there and it really helped.    The color of the text means something.  green means ATC understood you and White is what ATC says.  I think the Gold means ATC did not understand you, but I forgot.  I had trouble with talking to P2A until I did the voice training.  Not it works almost all the time 

Edited by dsalman

1 hour ago, dsalman said:

On the speech tab You need to uncheck the boxes for co pilot options, disable output hit key options and responds to radio.  Under the Btn tab, set the PPT key and enable it.  if you do want the FO to respond to ATC use the Say It joystick button.   This is what I do and I have full control with ATC.  I use SAY It when doing a IRF readback because P2A doesn't know how to say Cleared to Santa Barbra for example.  Use the Training Voice, it is really important for P2A to understand you.   I spent a lot of time there and it really helped.    The color of the text means something.  green means ATC understood you and White is what ATC says.  I think the Gold means ATC did not understand you, but I forgot.  I had trouble with talking to P2A until I did the voice training.  Not it works almost all the time 

Thanks for your response!

My settings have been configured as you stated, "Unchecked the 2 co pilot boxes. Disabled output hotkey and disabled respond to radio hotkey." My push to talk hotkey under the "buttons" tab has been configured correctly, and I have also used the "train voice" option in order for Pilot2ATC to understand me correctly. This part is done!

"The color of the text means something.  green means ATC understood you and White is what ATC says.  I think the Gold means ATC did not understand you, but I forgot."

It is this part that is holding me up. White text = ATC's message. Green text = successfully heard me. It's the gold text that is throwing me off, as I believe it is the read back message that I'M supposed to give.

I'll give you an example screen shot and explain it: I will queue up the radio and say, "Cessna 250 ready to taxi". This will be displayed in green. Then ATC will respond in white text, immediately followed by a message in gold text. I have not pushed, nor said anything to trigger the gold text, it seems to be doing it automatically. The gold text, to the best of my understanding, is the text that I should be repeating back to ATC to confirm it's correct.

spacer.png

Gold is what pressing the SayIt Button will say, or you can say it and in most cases it will be understood.  In some cases, what you say may not get a response.  The Taxi instruction readback, for example, only gets a response if there is an error.  Otherwise, the controller is happy because you read it back correctly.

So in the above example, read the gold text back and if all is OK, you should see what you said in Green and the interaction is done.

If you get something wrong, ATC may repeat the route and have you say it again.  In most cases, you can just press the SayIt button and get on with taxiing out.

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Gold is what pressing the SayIt Button will say, or you can say it and in most cases it will be understood.  In some cases, what you say may not get a response.  The Taxi instruction readback, for example, only gets a response if there is an error.  Otherwise, the controller is happy because you read it back correctly.

So in the above example, read the gold text back and if all is OK, you should see what you said in Green and the interaction is done.

If you get something wrong, ATC may repeat the route and have you say it again.  In most cases, you can just press the SayIt button and get on with taxiing out.

Dave

Thank you very much with this information Dave!

I went ahead and gave it some more attempts to test it out, and I learned a few things. (More screenshots explaining the attempts)

1st attempt: I read it back correctly, and my text turned green and nothing more was said from ATC (perfect).

2nd attempt: I read it back with the runways incorrect, and the taxiways correct. It responded with a correction, stating the correct runway again. (also good!)

3rd attempt: I read it back with the runways correct, and the taxiways incorrect. My text turned green and nothing more was said. (Oops, not sure if this is a bug or intended?)

Conclusion, it only will correct you if the runway is inaccurate, not the taxiways. But thank you for clarifying what exactly the gold text was, and what to expect as far as responses from ATC. This will definitely help me out with my future flights and Pilot2ATC communications!

Thank you, Ghostdealer

spacer.png

FOanLR.jpg

spacer.png

There's an option on the ATC Settings tab of config:  Destination Only Taxi Readbacks

You probably have that checked.  Unchecking it will make you get the taxiways correct, and possibly cause many headaches.

Dave