Sign in to follow this  
JSkorna

TweakFS free files... DANGER!

I downloaded a free file Orly Approach from TweakFS. Having bought nothing from this company, I opted for the start from the desktop shortcut as suggested by them. I really enjoyed the flight until...30 minutes when FSX stopped with the "thank you for testing the product, bla, bla..."!! Obviously this file transformed a perfectly tweaked FSX running OK for hours at a time into a.. time-limited DEMO version of FSX!!! Now if I want to use my FSX more than 30 min, I will probably have to reinstall it and call the MSN guys to have my install confirmed. I am starting to get sick and tired of people putting on the market (free or otherwise) stuff which is messing up a nicely working install. So if I were you, I would think twice before installing this TweakFS free file which is going to tweak your FSX in a way you are not going to like at all...J-L Belard18 miles NE of KIAD

>I downloaded a free file Orly Approach from TweakFS. Having>bought nothing from this company, I opted for the start from>the desktop shortcut as suggested by them. I really enjoyed>the flight until...30 minutes when FSX stopped with the "thank>you for testing the product, bla, bla..."!! Obviously this>file transformed a perfectly tweaked FSX running OK for hours>at a time into a.. time-limited DEMO version of FSX!!! Now if>I want to use my FSX more than 30 min, I will probably have to>reinstall it and call the MSN guys to have my install>confirmed. I am starting to get sick and tired of people>putting on the market (free or otherwise) stuff which is>messing up a nicely working install. >>So if I were you, I would think twice before installing this>TweakFS free file which is going to tweak your FSX in a way>you are not going to like at all...>>J-L Belard>18 miles NE of KIAD>>I don't see an Orly approach file on the TweakFS site. Did you try uninstalling or running a flight without using the add on before you came to complain here?

Go to https://www.tweakfs.com/store/ and the first icon you see is "ATC Flights". The exact name of the file is "Paris Orly RNWY 26 Approach". The website clearly says that this file does not need any add-on and can be used as a stand alone.JLB

That's interesting- I had also downloaded one of their approach files, but had not yet installed it- and won't either until I see how this issue gets resolved.There was a note on their site that indicated that you could use this file without the TweakFS app as long as a shortcut was placed on the desktop. I can't imagine how that would make any difference in the kind of issue that you're reporting here....Bruce.

>Go to https://www.tweakfs.com/store/ and the first icon you>see is "ATC Flights". The exact name of the file is "Paris>Orly RNWY 26 Approach". The website clearly says that this>file does not need any add-on and can be used as a stand>alone.>>JLBOk I see it now but you still haven't told us if you tried FSX without using the file or after uninstalling it.

Yes I uninstalled it and I am sadly reporting that I am still stuck with my new unexpected new FSX Demo:( Oh well I'll call Microsoft tomorrow to see if they can reactivate..JLB

I just received a friendly email from Fermin Fernandez, software developer for TeakFS. He was really surprised by what happened, tried to help me and assured me that, and I quote "These ATC flights are ABL scripts, totally innocuous as they are just TEXT files that run under FSX, they do not modify FSX in any way!". Not being a computer language expert, I have no reason to dispute what Fermin says. I was maybe too quick to assume that the installation of the TweakFS free file was the cause of my subsequent immediate FSX trouble... My apologies to TweakFS. Since there must be a reason why FSX suddenly stopped recognizing it was activated for the past 8 months, I guess I'll have to interview the MS people to ask them how come FSX can revert to its "demo state" just like that! And more importantly how come not anyone can access this infamous "Activation window" short of reinstalling the whole FSX program!!JLB