Sign in to follow this  
Klegran

FSLTL and Pilot2Atc

With the release of FSLTL, which in my opinion, is the new standard for offline flying with traffic, I'm wondering how Pilot2Atc can position itself to be the de facto software for offline ATC.

The main issue I see is the glaring disconnect between the planes being added to the sim by FSLTL and P2Atc. You see traffic all around you, yet none of them interact with the ATC. You feel completely alone, dispite being surrounded by other planes.

FSHud is able to have the other planes communicate with the controller, but FSHud is no where near the level that P2Atc is at. I realize that the main difference here is that FSHud is a traffic injector itself, and thus can manage the outside traffic and including this type of functionality within P2Atc would probably be outside the scope of the software.

However, maybe there is a middle ground? If P2Atc can knows about the traffic in the sim at any moment, and knows about their intentions, is it possible to have them make and receive calls to the controller? Even if they are not directly controlled by P2Atc, having the other airplanes within the sim communicating to the controller would completely round out the experience and set P2Atc as the best offline ATC software available on the market. Would love to hear thoughts from Dave, and the community about using FSLTL and P2Atc together to create the ultimate experience. 🙂

Unfortunately, there are no standards for traffic engines and a very large number of traffic engines out there, especially given that P2A supports all the main SIMs. 

Having P2A to be able to at least seem to control the AI Traffic has been on the list for some future version for a long time.

Dave  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Having P2A to be able to at least seem to control the AI Traffic has been on the list for some future version for a long time.

This is all I need. Don't try to direct them - I'm not sure Asobo's going to allow that given their arrangement with FlightAware anyhow. But if you could somehow decipher what they're doing and simply chat with them accordingly...that would be simply fantastic! Keep up the great work Dave!

• Upvote 2

Mark Lam

13 hours ago, Klegran said:

With the release of FSLTL, which in my opinion, is the new standard for offline flying with traffic, I'm wondering how Pilot2Atc can position itself to be the de facto software for offline ATC.

The main issue I see is the glaring disconnect between the planes being added to the sim by FSLTL and P2Atc. You see traffic all around you, yet none of them interact with the ATC. You feel completely alone, dispite being surrounded by other planes.

FSHud is able to have the other planes communicate with the controller, but FSHud is no where near the level that P2Atc is at. I realize that the main difference here is that FSHud is a traffic injector itself, and thus can manage the outside traffic and including this type of functionality within P2Atc would probably be outside the scope of the software.

However, maybe there is a middle ground? If P2Atc can knows about the traffic in the sim at any moment, and knows about their intentions, is it possible to have them make and receive calls to the controller? Even if they are not directly controlled by P2Atc, having the other airplanes within the sim communicating to the controller would completely round out the experience and set P2Atc as the best offline ATC software available on the market. Would love to hear thoughts from Dave, and the community about using FSLTL and P2Atc together to create the ultimate experience. 🙂

I have the ingame ATC on to be less lonely. 😔

If the freqs are right you should hear MSFS ATC instructing traffic and traffic responding to ATC (althought traffic will not interact with Pilot2ATC) 

21 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Unfortunately, there are no standards for traffic engines and a very large number of traffic engines out there, especially given that P2A supports all the main SIMs. 

Dave  

That's good to hear there's some plans for "pseudo-controlling" of AI planes. Even if they made some rough calls about what to do and where to go it would be 100x more immersive than a ghost town over the radio! (Even with ATC chatter).

I'm curious, I was flying some flights using FSLTL and Pilot2Atc is supposed to have me respond to traffic, correct? The taxi way was quite full and I did not get any hold instructions or anything acknowledgment of the other airplanes on the taxiway. This functionality is currently supported, right?

No, not on the ground.  

On the ground, you will be told what number you are for takeoff if there are aircraft ahead of you for takeoff and have to wait until they are gone before getting cleared onto the runway.  Also, you should get a lineup and wait if there is still an aircraft on the runway until it is cleared for takeoff.

Regular traffic alerts are given in the air.

Dave

• Like 1

I'm suspicious as to whether its working with FSLTL (and by that, I mean being aware of the traffic and giving instructions to my plane based on their position). I did probably 3-4 hours of pattern landings over the weekend with FSLTL running and didn't once get an ATC instruction based on the traffic around me. At one point an AI TBM was on the runway. I own FS Traffic so I might give that a try just to see if it behaves differently. I won't change to it as I strongly prefer FSLTL, but should give me some sense as to whether I should be seeing something differently. For reference, this is one of my flights.

Well spent some time testing today and I can confirm both that FSLTL provides VFR traffic and that Pilot2ATC is indeed aware of it. Such a life-saver of an addon. Really glad to have pilot2ATC.

Okay, after a couple of sessions and a few weeks, I can confirm that my pilot2ATC is not giving me calls in reaction to my FSLTL traffic. I've been flying patterns more recently out of KSBA Santa Barbara airport to increase my chance of traffic in sight or on the runway/taxiways. I can see the traffic in my pilot2ATC map (which is why I thought my prior response was the case... its aware but not providing calls in response), but I'm not getting calls relating to them in any way. I have "Airborne traffic alerts on" checked. Is there anything else I need to look for or should be doing? What are the necessary conditions for responses to injected traffic (I am aware that it can not control that traffic)?

This is a flight from Sunday through the Los Angeles airspace where some calls would have been expected. 

Edited by Fauxflights

Please email the log file for this flight to admin@p2atc.com so I can see what might be going on.

I might have missed it, but in the first  20 minutes of the video, I didn't hear you get a frequency change from tower.  Your tower radius should be about 5 NM so you will get transferred to Departure or Center controller.  Tower controllers don't give traffic advisories like enroute controllers.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks! You are correct. I didn't get a freq change and my VFR flight following was quite silent all the way to KSNA. I did make altitude calls and get responses in line with my past VFR flight following calls. I will dig around and see if I can locate it or how to get the log data to you. I had noticed the lack of a change (in addition to the traffic issue I was mentioning... that has been an on-going issue). For what its worth, I've never had an issue with the VFR Flight following dropping off like that, nor IFR. That was an anomaly for me.

P2A Log files are located in: 
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs 
where <UserName> is your PC user name. 

Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

A new one is created each time you start Pilot2ATC, and is closed when you shut it down. So if you take the most recent one after you have the error and after you shut down P2A, you should have the correct one.  
Dave

• Like 1

Emailed that to you along with screenshots for my original issue relating to FSLTL and Pilot2ATC giving guidance in reaction to traffic it detects. Thanks much!