Sign in to follow this  

I have spent all afternoon trying to figure out why my new Zotac RTX 3090Ti is only performing at around 25fps in MSFS with medium to high settings. My 10980XE is overclocked to 4.8, XMP is enabled in BIOS. I updated my BIOS and have the latest driver installed for the graphics card. Re-sizeable bar is enabled in BIOS.

Doing benchmark tests with Furmark on the highest preset available I am averaging 122fps with a min of 110fps. GPU is running at a max of 68 celsius and the GPU Power is max 98% TDP.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have reinstalled the driver using DDU thinking it was a driver issue but its not. I can only run a max of 60Hz with my monitor as its quite old and needs replacing which I will do at the end of this month.

I am scratching my head and I am at a road block as to what to do next?

Have you experimented with V-sync settings in the sim (100% refresh rate, disabled, etc.) and made sure no FPS limiter is set in NVIDIA Control Panel? Are you using any undocked windows on a second monitor? These are two typical causes of low FPS situations in MSFS...

You can also try the developer mode (selectable via Options > General > Developers) to see whether you are CPU-limited or GPU-limited. What's your typical GPU utilization in MSFS?

5 hours ago, tymk said:

Have you experimented with V-sync settings in the sim (100% refresh rate, disabled, etc.) and made sure no FPS limiter is set in NVIDIA Control Panel? Are you using any undocked windows on a second monitor? These are two typical causes of low FPS situations in MSFS...

You can also try the developer mode (selectable via Options > General > Developers) to see whether you are CPU-limited or GPU-limited. What's your typical GPU utilization in MSFS?

I managed to sort my issues out after some further troubleshooting. Turns out the main offender was Hyper Threading. I disabled HT and gained around 15fps on previous sessions in MSFS. A few further tweaking such as using RTSS to limit fps to 36, configuring the settings again in sim and using Vsync outside of the sim via NV Control Panel amonst other things. On the ground at ini Heathrow with most settings on high LOD both set at 100 and some other settings on Ultra I am able to acheive a steady 36fps in the flightdeck of the PMDG 737-800.

The fps does drop to between 31 and 29fps when accelerating down the runway but that is to be expected I suppose considering its Heathrow after all. As soon as the wheels leave the runway its back up to a steady 36fps with only slight drops to a low of 34fps. There are some slight stutters when panning around quickly in the flightdeck but it seems that several users are experiencing the same issue which I would assume is an issue with MSFS and not users setups.

As smooth as DLSS is the quality just isn't worth it so I have AA set to TAA. I do not have a second monitor.

You may want to check out the new Nvdiia driver released today. Don't know if it will help but supposedly addresses some performance issues.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

3 hours ago, pgde said:

You may want to check out the new Nvdiia driver released today. Don't know if it will help but supposedly addresses some performance issues.

I am not seeing any new drivers on the Nvidia website, just the driver released on 27/10/2022 or 10/27/2022.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, shamrockflyer said:

I managed to sort my issues out after some further troubleshooting. Turns out the main offender was Hyper Threading. I disabled HT and gained around 15fps on previous sessions in MSFS. A few further tweaking such as using RTSS to limit fps to 36, configuring the settings again in sim and using Vsync outside of the sim via NV Control Panel amonst other things. On the ground at ini Heathrow with most settings on high LOD both set at 100 and some other settings on Ultra I am able to acheive a steady 36fps in the flightdeck of the PMDG 737-800.

The fps does drop to between 31 and 29fps when accelerating down the runway but that is to be expected I suppose considering its Heathrow after all. As soon as the wheels leave the runway its back up to a steady 36fps with only slight drops to a low of 34fps. There are some slight stutters when panning around quickly in the flightdeck but it seems that several users are experiencing the same issue which I would assume is an issue with MSFS and not users setups.

As smooth as DLSS is the quality just isn't worth it so I have AA set to TAA. I do not have a second monitor.

I really don't see how turning of Hyperthreading would cause this, I have HT enabled on my 12700K and with my 3090 I can hit a solid 50fps with high to ultra settings in the Fenix & PMDG, 60fps or higher in less demanding aircraft. The only thing I turned off in the BIOS was virtualization as that was causing some micro stuttering. 

Have you got the latest BIOS updates? I would also backup your current BIOS settings then reset them to default and see what the result is. The only other thing I did is enable the XMP

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

2 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I really don't see how turning of Hyperthreading would cause this, I have HT enabled on my 12700K and with my 3090 I can hit a solid 50fps with high to ultra settings in the Fenix & PMDG, 60fps or higher in less demanding aircraft. The only thing I turned off in the BIOS was virtualization as that was causing some micro stuttering. 

Have you got the latest BIOS updates? I would also backup your current BIOS settings then reset them to default and see what the result is. The only other thing I did is enable the XMP

I had to reset everything to default today as well as reinstall Windows thus losing all of my data all because of a critical process died error. I spent half of the day trying to troubleshoot, trying something so that I could access windows again but to no avail.

On the flip side - any issue I may have been experiencing with performance will hopefully be "fixed" now. Its just the tedious process of reinstalling everything and trying to remember what I had installed.

I really ought to buy a spare drive just so I can backup my system onto it instead of going through this nightmare again.

Edited by shamrockflyer

3 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

I had to reset everything to default today as well as reinstall Windows thus losing all of my data all because of a critical process died error. I spent half of the day trying to troubleshoot, trying something so that I could access windows again but to no avail.

On the flip side - any issue I may have been experiencing with performance will hopefully be "fixed" now. Its just the tedious process of reinstalling everything and trying to remember what I had installed.

I really ought to buy a spare drive just so I can backup my system onto it instead of going through this nightmare again.

Sorry to hear this,

Hopefully a fresh install will fix things. Download Macrium Reflect Home version (It's Free) and create a USB rescue disk. Once you get Win installed with all drivers create an image by booting from the rescue USB, Then once you have MSFS installed do the same again. I do this regularly and before any major OS updates. Trust me it is a lifesaver. If you have room in your PC pick up a 2TB or 4TB mechanical drive (Doesn't need to be a fancy NVME or SSD) and use that to store the backups. You can of course use a USB 3 HDD as well.

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 minute ago, RJC68 said:

Sorry to hear this,

Hopefully a fresh install will fix things. Download Macrium Reflect Home version (It's Free) and create a USB rescue disk. Once you get Win installed with all drivers create an image by booting from the rescue USB, Then once you have MSFS installed do the same again. I do this regularly and before any major OS updates. Trust me it is a lifesaver. If you have room in your PC pick up a 2TB or 4TB mechanical drive (Doesn't need to be a fancy NVME or SSD) and use that to store the backups. You can of course use a USB 3 HDD as well.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on getting a 2TB or 4TB mechanical HDD for my backups, I will purchase one as soon as I can.

• Like 1

Sorry also forgot to say before I built this PC I even went as far as creating a spreadsheet with everything I needed to do/install and take screenshots of my desktop. It makes things a lot easier.

WRruH46.jpg

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png