Sign in to follow this  
aguthrie

Problem with loading gauges from .gau files

HiI have been pulling my hair out over this problem for the past 3 days. When I try to use panels that include .gau files I don't see the gauges.Here's what happens in more detail. When I first try and load the panel I am presented with the box that asks me if I want to run the gauge. I click on run. Next it asks me if I want to trust the gauge next time. I click yes. Then the plane and panel load, but the spots where the gauges are supposed to be are empty.I have tried numerous things to try and troubleshoot this problem. I have wiped out the trusted section from my FSX.cfg file. I have reinstalled FSX several times, I have installed FSX on my laptop to see if the gauges would work there and they did, finally I have totally wiped and reinstalled Windows XP all with no luck.Incidentally, it appears that this is only an issue with unsigned gauges/software, because I have FSUIPC4 and it puts an entry in the Trusted section and works fine.I've contacted Microsoft support, but they won't help me because it is a 3rd party add-in that is having a problem.My system is a P4 2.8Ghz, 2Gb RAM, MSI NVidia GeForce 6800 GT, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, etc, etc... Let me know if you need more.Anybody have any ideas? I'm almost ready to junk FSX until I get a new computer (not any time soon unfortunately).Thanks,Adam

I noticed the same thing myself but with the Lear45.gau gauge...I tried to bring the Overland Airbuses into FSX, but the panel relied on the Lear45 gauge. OK, the directions I had said drop the Lear gauge into the gauge folder and it will work. I did so but no gauges showed up. I replaced them in the panel .cfg with the new gauges for the FSX Lear so all is well now. Maybe SP1 screwed something up with the older gauge files??Larry

I thought it might be SP1 as well, but no such luck. I've tried it both with and without SP1, same result.Adam

A little more information would be useful. Are you sure these are FS2000 or later style gauges? IOW, are you sure they aren't FS98 style gauges?If you haven't already, I'd suggest going to flight1.com and getting a copy of FS Panel Studio. It's a really awesome tool, I use it all the time to help modify and create panels. One thing I'll do is just open the program (to an empty panel), choose "Add Gauge" and have it filter on FS98 style gauges. You'll get a list of all the FS98 gauges in the "Gauges" directory. Remove them, they won't work in FSX. You can check the validity of the panel as well in FSPS.One thing I don't like about FSPS is that when you save it, it removes all comment and other "irrelevant" lines. But it saves a backup.Also, I believe (but I may be wrong) that .gau style gauges must be in the FSXgauges directory, FS will not search your aircraft's panel directory for them (it will use .cab style gauges from your aircraft's panel directory). So make sure they are in your FSXGauges directory (and that you haven't accidentally changed the name or moved this directory).Another extremely useful program is Winmerge (google it). It's a wonderful file and directory comparison program. It's great for looking at discrepancies between .cfg files and directories.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

The panels I am using to try and figure out this problem were all designed for FSX so I presume that the gauges are not FS98 style gauges. Combine that with the fact that they worked as advertised when I tried them on my laptop leads me to believe that this is not a problem with a specific panel, but rather a problem with FSX or my computer.BTW, I believe that FSX does read .gau files out of the aircraft's panel directory because one of the panels I tested on my laptop had a .gau file in the panel directory that was not present in my gauges directory and the panel loaded fine with all gauges present.The panels I am trying to use are 777pnlx.zip by Marco Spada, fx777pan.zip by Graham Williams, an EMB170 panel which I must have deleted and I think the filename started with j, and I have tried importing the default 777 panel from FS9 using instructions I found on the web.Thanks,Adam

I posted this a while back, over at The Other Place. It might shed some light on the issues you face:To follow up on this one, the listed FS9 gauges are all dependent on msvcr70.dll. That file must be present in the main FSX folder, or in your WindowsSystem32 folder, in order for these gauges to function in FSX. As the others have direct replacements in FSX, they have not presented the same issue that Boeing777-300.gau has. FS9 gauges in question are:737-400.gauBell_206B.gauBoeing777-300.gauCessna172.gauCessna182ifr.gauCessna182s.gauKingair.gauLear_45.gauMooney_Bravo.gauhttp://forums.flightsim.com//dc/dcboard.ph..._id=20464&page=Doug

Thanks everybody for the help. It appears that putting msvcr70.dll in my windows/system32 folder has solved the problem.Adam