Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

MSFS 4K

I recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3090Ti, the difference in performance as well as being able to raise my settings mostly to ultra really brought a whole new level to MSFS. However - yesterday everything changed.

I purchased a Samsung LS28AG700NUXXU monitor which is 4K Gsync, the visual quality increased significantly. MSFS just looks stunning! in 4K. Having Gsync also gave me a smoother experience.

Sitting on the active at Orbx Burbank V2 with a full overcast with rain (clouds set to Ultra) I am seeing a minimum of 36fps and a max of 41 in the PMDG 737-800. Just wow! Anyone who hasn't upgraded to 4K yet...just do it, trust me!

Edited by shamrockflyer
  • Like 3

Totally agree. I’ve been on 4K for years now and simply cannot go back. And finally GPUs can do 4K Ultra which makes things even more stunning. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

I recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3090Ti, the difference in performance as well as being able to raise my settings mostly to ultra really brought a whole new level to MSFS. However - yesterday everything changed.

I purchased a Samsung LS28AG700NUXXU monitor which is 4K Gsync, the visual quality increased significantly. MSFS just looks stunning! in 4K. Having Gsync also gave me a smoother experience.

Sitting on the active at Orbx Burbank V2 with a full overcast with rain (clouds set to Ultra) I am seeing a minimum of 36fps and a max of 41 in the PMDG 737-800. Just wow! Anyone who hasn't upgraded to 4K yet...just do it, trust me!

Brilliant news!  You sound really happy.  At this stage you will now be CPU limited with the 10980XE.  Wait until you see it with a new CPU when you are ready to upgrade. 
Although you may be happy at those frame rates with G-Sync.

I just put in a 13900 CPU, and I get 60 fps super smooth just about everywhere. 
This is with 4k ultra settings, DLSS balanced mode.  (can do DLSS quality in most places, but I can't see any difference on screen at 4k.)

If you are going to upgrade, I would probably wait for the AMD 7 series X3D chips next year, as it has been proven MSFS responds really well to the X3D extra cache on the chips. 
I went with a 13900 as it was a simple drop in for me without changing my current motherboard and RAM, but it is a better processor / upgrade than I expected going from a 12900.

Also, I agree - once you switch to 4k you just can't go back.  The difference in sharpness and clarity is amazing, even when using DLSS.  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

At this stage you will now be CPU limited with the 10980XE.

I purchased the 10980XE because my friend got me a steep discount on the chip that I couldn't refuse (employee perks). It will do for the next few years as I would have to replace my board so its not really worth it at this point. I will however make a better decision when I do upgrade. However - the 10980XE is still an outstanding chip and is serving me well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I purchased the 10980XE because my friend got me a steep discount on the chip that I couldn't refuse (employee perks). It will do for the next few years as I would have to replace my board so its not really worth it at this point. I will however make a better decision when I do upgrade. However - the 10980XE is still an outstanding chip and is serving me well.

Yes, we will all need to look again when ray tracing comes along anyway! :laugh: 

They talked about it in the recent developers Twitch session, and there is already an entry for it in the user config file.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I recently upgraded to a 3080 ti and 13700k. For me the holy grail moment came this weekend when I did:

1/in msfs lock frames to 30fps using v sync (50% of my 4K tv hz)

and (the most important )

2/ activate Xr motion 400 on my 2020 Sony 4K tv screen which generates additional frames. You have a similar setting on every 4K tv nowadays I guess 

on everything high, in the fenix a320 I can not get the plane to stutter one single time 😳😅(testing taxing origami Egkk with vatsim and Ftsl, flying irrealisticly low in London , just before landing … ) and motion fluidity is just unbelievable.. I’m completely blown away.

But for this to work , it’s imperative you need to have a strong gpu and cpu to maintain the base 30 fps at all times 

similar to this below

Edited by anthony500
  • Like 1

Anthony

WIN 11 - MSFS 2020 - X-plane 12

i7 13700KF - ZOTAC OC - RTX 4080 - 4K

1 hour ago, anthony500 said:

I recently upgraded to a 3080 ti and 13700k. For me the holy grail moment came this weekend when I did:

1/in msfs lock frames to 30fps using v sync (50% of my 4K tv hz)

and (the most important )

2/ activate Xr motion 400 on my 2020 Sony 4K tv screen which generates additional frames. You have a similar setting on every 4K tv nowadays I guess 

on everything high, in the fenix I can not get the plane to stutter one single time and motion fluidity is just unbelievable.. I’m completely blown away.

But for this to work , it’s imperative you need to have a strong gpu and cpu to maintain the base 30 fps at all times 

similar to this below

Hey Anthony,

I have also been experimenting this this methodology on a Samsung TV, I also use Riva Tuner to lock the fps and I find this gives me the most consistent frame time which is also important for smoothness. You can use the on screen display from Riva to monitor fps and frametime graph amongst other things. If you have After Burner installed give this a try and take a look at the frametime graph before and after locking the fps in Riva. I am in the market for a new 4K TV, probably a 50 inch. I am hoping to snag something in the Black Friday deals

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png