Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Are the 3e and 4e Core really handling add-ons with a Q6600?

I ask this because I'm in doubt to buy a E6750 or the Q6600In my old configuration FSX is running fine as long there are no add-ons running. (D940 CPU) However I want to run TrackIR-Vatsim/FSinn-Live Cockpit and sometimes VoxATC which I now put on the second core with affinity settings but specially FSInn and/or Voxatc gives me a dramatic frame drop.When the 3e and 4e Core of the Q6600 are doing nothing within FSX I better can buy a faster DualCore I think...Please advice from a current Q6600 user...Happy Landings...

Guest triangle

My experience going from a dual to a quad is that the 3rd and 4th cores do almost nothing except when loading textures etc.personally, I would buy a faster dual core over the Q6600 if I was purchasing specifically for FSX (I do alot of other stuff on my machine that utilises the quad fully so for me it was a good buy).Andrew

Most important for me is to use the other cores for handling other FSX utils so thanks for your info. I think I will go for the E6750.Happy landings...

>My experience going from a dual to a quad is that the 3rd and>4th cores do almost nothing except when loading textures etc.>>personally, I would buy a faster dual core over the Q6600 if I>was purchasing specifically for FSX (I do alot of other stuff>on my machine that utilises the quad fully so for me it was a>good buy).>>AndrewI'd be interested in hearing more about this, when flying with the E6750 I can see both cores working fully 100% most of the time, using task manager since installing FSX SP1. With the quad your saying its clear that the 3rd and 4th core are sitting almost idle while cores 1 and 2 are maxed out? What if you run another processor intensive application while running FSX, will it use the 3rd and 4th cores fully without slowing down FSX or does software have to be written specifically to use those cores? Despite loving my e6750 setup, I'm really tempted to exchange it for a quad that the store just got in stock. Not so much for FSX but for photo and video apps, and I was hoping to be able to run FSX along side other CPU hungry apps with it fully.A simple little test is to run the Commodore 64 EMU VICE. It runs single threaded. Using x64 in warp mode (alt-w) Here's my results on the 6750:1 Vice x64 running ... 8900%2 Vice x64 running ... 8500% 8500%3 Vice x64 running ... appx 5300% for each (not balanced)4 Vice x64 running ... 2500% 2500% 2500% 8500% (Strange) You see 2 concurrent apps run balanced at almost full single app speed, but when running 3 or 4 concurrent apps, performace drops and the OS does not balance the cpu power very well.I'd love to hear how a quad does with this test....

Guest Dazzlercee_2

Another plus with the Q6600 is that you can use the Affinity Mask setting to force FSX to use cores 2, 3 and 4, leaving other windows apps and background tasks to run on core 1.

I hope devs figure out how to make addon aircraft run on a seperate core from FSX soon.Would this be even possible?

How can I view on Vista my 2 core graphs or details ofwhat's happening?Cheers,Peter Sydney Australia

>How can I view on Vista my 2 core graphs or details of>what's happening?>Cheers,>Peter Sydney AustraliaRt Click on the taskbar , task manager / performance.