Sign in to follow this  
soppie

PMDG 737 MSFS Overhead Panel - Night lighting question

Hi all. I'm looking at this product and have successfully got it up and running and connected to MSFS. I am puzzled about night lighting though as no matter what I do I can't get it to look like the PMDG 737 overhead. in the demo clicking the screw above circuit breaker does display a less bright screen but it's not illuminated correctly and turning the dials in the sim has no effect - the knobs do work though as I can see actions in the avia overhead. Is this a limitation of the demo or the actual product, I have searched for videos and images of the product in use and not found much but what I have found doesn't show the overhead lit up as it should be at night. Thanks

Edited by soppie

Hi,

so the way this works is the following:

-the hidden click spot (the screw) toggles night mode - this is just to reflect the simulated ambient condition and has no implication on the sim itself. This obviously doesn't require a license.

-now, if night mode is active, there are different light modes: the dome light, which is the three-way switch. It's basically a flood light that behaves like in the sim. This switch position is synchronized with the simulator.

- then there is the round dial that controls the backlighting. Contrary to the sim, this is modeled as an incremental switch as the SDK is missing the actual position of the dial. As such, I have no data as to what it is set in the sim. But manipulating this dial on the remote overhead will control both the backlighting of the remote overhead as well as the sim's overhead. You can turn it to full bright by double clicking on the right side of it, similar to what you can do in the sim itself.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards

Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Wow, that was quick! Happy new year by the way!

Thanks for the info, so to clarify, when I move the dome light switch in the sim I do see the brightness change in the Avia overhead. For the reason you've explained, when I turn the panel light knob in the sim nothing happens in the Avia o/h cause of the sdk limitation. Because I'm just running the demo I can't turn the knob in the avia o/h but in the full version turning this up would bring up the orange backlighting as seen in the sim overhead panel. If that's right then I'm tempted to purchase!

Edited by soppie

11 hours ago, soppie said:

Wow, that was quick! Happy new year by the way!

Thanks for the info, so to clarify, when I move the dome light switch in the sim I do see the brightness change in the Avia overhead. For the reason you've explained, when I turn the panel light knob in the sim nothing happens in the Avia o/h cause of the sdk limitation. Because I'm just running the demo I can't turn the knob in the avia o/h but in the full version turning this up would bring up the orange backlighting as seen in the sim overhead panel. If that's right then I'm tempted to purchase!

When you buy it you won't be disappointed - Mark's products work flawlessly. From the 1st day I owned the overhead and CDU I've never flown the PMDG 737 without them.

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Oh no!!! I've accidentally bought the wrong version of the 737 Overhead from Just Flight, the one for FSX/P3D, neither or which I use. Have reached out to Just Flight but reading their refund policy I suspect I'm done for. How daft do I feel!

Edited by soppie

Do yourself and Mark a favor and buy directly from Mark. Download aviaserver and send a license request through aviaserver. Mark will respond with a link for payment and you're all set.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 minutes ago, somiller said:

Do yourself and Mark a favor and buy directly from Mark. Download aviaserver and send a license request through aviaserver. Mark will respond with a link for payment and you're all set.

Hi. Well I'm still hoping that Just Flight will be feeling charitable and either refund my money or at least give me a credit note. I know it was my own stupid mistake but it was a genuine one and I haven't activated the code I was given. Fingers crossed...

15 minutes ago, soppie said:

Hi. Well I'm still hoping that Just Flight will be feeling charitable and either refund my money or at least give me a credit note. I know it was my own stupid mistake but it was a genuine one and I haven't activated the code I was given. Fingers crossed...

In that case reach out to me via email and we will find a good solution 👍

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

19 hours ago, marcom said:

In that case reach out to me via email and we will find a good solution 👍

Many thanks Mark. Just Flight's support people are back fully tomorrow so hopefully I'll hear from them in the next couple of days.

Kind regards

Paul

Delighted to say that Just Flight have issued a refund so I've gone ahead and bought a license from you direct. Now up and running and looking forward to flying with an operational overhead panel.