Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

Help with Longitude and RNAV approaches

Aren’t all RNAV approaches supposed to have a/p follow a glide slope?

some do and others I have to bring down on my own and follow the descent profile…

can anyone help me with this. It’s so confusing.

this is all being flown with the Longitude with the 1.96 mod from flightsim.to

are RNAV approaches supposed to be just for guidance only, correct? The landing is always ap off and hand flown in?

Edited by briansommers
The words.

Ciao!

Not on the beta, so not sure what's been done on the Longitude side.

I think though, they should have that modelled in the beta now?

In general, RNAV approaches are flown in pink needles (FMC).  Some, if not most do have vertical guidance and you can fly them fully coupled.  If a particular approach has vertical guidance, then you should also see a GP indication (glidepath-similar to glideslope).  In a sense you fly it just like an ILS but do NOT need to tune the radio aid (or the airplane does not auto-tune).  

There's much more to it, but I think this should answer your question, generally speaking, to a point where you can take it from there.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

2 hours ago, briansommers said:

Aren’t all RNAV approaches supposed to have a/p follow a glide slope?

some do and others I have to bring down on my own and follow the descent profile…

can anyone help me with this. It’s so confusing.

this is all being flown with the Longitude with the 1.96 mod from flightsim.to

are RNAV approaches supposed to be just for guidance only, correct? The landing is always ap off and hand flown in?

My recommendation is to either get on the AAU1beta or wait for official release of the AAU1 later this month.  I have flown many hours using the AAU1 beta and have not observed any issues flying a RNAV approach as programmed in the FMS. I can program the required ALT for my FAF, set VNAV and the a/c will fly a perfect descent profile right down to the FAF. 

WAT1460.png

I admit I have issues sometimes in aau1.  You can always try arming vnav and appr mode at the same time.  But for an rnav (gps) approach you should only need to press APPR mode.  Sometimes if the minimums on the bottom of the chart are LNAV you may need to set your altitude on the AP panel down to your step down points (the lowest on the approach chart) and descend in vnav or just VS mode.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |