Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

VR noob getting stuck at 45fps Quest 2 4090

2 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I assume that you really meant dlss here, i.e. dlss 2.  AFAIK dlss 3/frame generation isn't available in VR yet.  If it was, imagine pegging a G2 at 90 fps...VR heaven. 

Maybe I misunderstood.   Frame gen is separate from dlss though.  I can run frame gen in TAA mode or dlss mode.  I do know FG does not work in VR.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Now I'm not so sure either about where the dlss 3 line is drawn for VR.  Having FG decoupled rather clouds things up here (pun intended)...oh well, back to sim flying. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

So I think people are getting confused.  Frame Gen IS DLSS3.  You can also enable the TAA vs DLSS modes for the traditional DLSS/DLSS 2 one that renders at the lower resolution and then upscales.  I had to look it up to be sure after some of the other comments.  If anyone has a good article that actually explains that frame gen and DLSS3 are two separate things I'd love to see it though.  Not in a "I'm right show me I'm not" way, but in genuine "I want to know because it's new and I'm getting conflicting info" way.

On my 45FPS thing, I finally got to do some testing today.  It's because I'm being CPU limited in airliners.  I forgot to turn off my 60fps limit in NVCP, but when I took a DA40NG to a middle of nowhere airfield in the same session I was getting 60fps solid even at 150% in game render scale.  I'm still a bit surprised that the airliners are that limiting in VR on the CPU though because I can run the same ones in 200% render scale on my 3440x1440 monitor so it's rendering at 6880x2880 and it's still in the mid 50's in the same situation.  Could be down to how the Quest2 has to be encoded with the NVENC encoder then sent over USB or WiFi (I was on a 3rd party Link cable).  Maybe that process is using some CPU or putting some limitation somewhere that isn't leaving enough "mainthread" power for the sim.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

18 hours ago, flyinion said:

Frame Gen IS DLSS3

Putting together these two articles gives credence to this.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-dlss-3-vs-2-image-quality-comparison-thrice-the-performance-double-the-delusion/

https://www.hwcooling.net/en/dlss-3-and-frame-generation-minitest-in-ms-flight-simulator/

IMO both of these articles are a little weak (c'mon, using 2K to test DLSS performance?), but their underlying working principles are solid.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I was going to suggest that you might have a CPU frame limit set in NVCP or Riva Tuner or OXRTK (OpenXR Toolkit) or ...

I suggest starting in a high performance scenery area like the Mt. Everest Discovery Flight (First row, third one over) in 2D and see if you get about 120 to 130 FPS (in 2D). I have a 9700K@5Ghz and a 3080ti +Quest2@72Hz. Then go to VR and start locked at 45Hz just to check, and then turn ASW off (Disabled) with ODT and see if you don't jump up. I get about 70 to 73Hz with my 3080ti. Yes, I think the encoding of the image takes maybe 5->7 milliseconds (I run 3648 encode width with 200mbps encode rate) but I believe that just adds to latency and not to frame rate loss. With your 4090 and 5ghz CPU, you might get 80->90fps in that limited scenery (if you are running the Quest2 at 90Hz). Of course, the reality is that with more substantial scenery and airliners, you will drop to 50->60 and maybe still be better off with 45fps ASW. I hope that you are using the OXRTK to try out various options - even just the realtime HUD info with appCPU and appGPU times are valuable to me. I use OculusDebugCLI.exe scripts to try various options and use VoiceAttack to execute the BAT files so that I don't need to take off the Quest2 headset.

I'm sure you will enjoy the 4090

• Like 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2