Sign in to follow this  
RichD

Strange problem.

Hi everyone, looking for help.

Everyday, I spend hours trying to get msfs to run smoothly and most times I succeed. However, every time I shut down the computer for the night and start it the next day, I'm back to trying to get it back to how it was the night before. Every time....

Any ides would by helpful. This only applies to vr. I'm using quest 2 with openxr toolkit, oculus tray tool on Windows 11

Thank you in advance.

Rich

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz. RAM 32 GB 1 500GB SSD and 1 2TB HDD NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11GB WATER COOLED

We need more info. What do you change? Does it change back the next day, or are the settings retained but no longer deliver the FPS you got the day before? What hardware are you using? Where are you flying?

• Like 1

Once I get the best result, I do not change anything. The setting's are retained and are the same next day but liken I say, the sum does not run the same.

One thing I have noticed and not heard anyone say anything about it is when I start the sim is, when the logo video for ASOBO plays, it will stick/hang for a split second, not sure why.

BTW, FPS is not a problem, I can live with what I get. Just want smoothness.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz. RAM 32 GB 1 500GB SSD and 1 2TB HDD NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11GB WATER COOLED

There are a myriad of things, some equipment related, some OS related, some peripherals related and some MSFS-settings related that can affect the smoothness of MSFS in VR .  As @eslader above says, the wise and knowledgeable folks round here can't really help without knowing where you are starting from in terms of PC spec and settings.

But, the fact that when you return the next day, problems that you had fixed seem now to be unfixed - well, that is unusual.  And probably needs a bit more experimentation your end before the folks round here can give you some pointers.

Specifically:

- it helps enormously if you jot down on a notepad the changes you make as you make them.  I know from bitter experience, it is almost impossible to remember after a flight is finished.

- once you have finally got things smooth**, then - DON'T reboot the computer - but come out of VR and MSFS and then reboot MSFS.  Note - have you lost that smoothness already?  Have any of the settings you changed reverted?

- If on restart of MSFS the smoothness has been retained, then come out of it again, but this time DO reboot the computer itself.  Has it now lost either the smoothness or any of the settings changes that you had previously noted down

Then let us know what you experienced 🙂

**and even the term smooth can mean many things.  Are you talking freezing or micro-judders?  And is it when you are looking around the cockpit or is it the scenery through the cockpit window during, say a turn?

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the advice but I'm glad to say (for now) that it's sorted. You see my Quest 2 has died and I'm not replacing it with another.

I'm looking into getting either a Reverb G2 or HTC Vive (both used) as they plug in graffic cards. If you know of any going, please let me know..

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi RichD, 

I have both the Vive Pro 2 and Reverb G2. If I had to choose I'd get the G2. It runs more smoothly and has better optics

Thank you for that, I'll bare that it mind. May I ask, is the plug you plug in, HDMI or display port?

It is a display port, however a display port to hdmi adaptor works fine too if needed. The G2 cable also has a USB C lead that needs to be plugged in. I believe the headset comes with a C to A type adaptor.  

If buying a used headset, the first version of the cable was quite fussy abut the USB port it's connected to and would often give an error upon startup or drop out during use. HP released a replacement that is more reliable. Owners of the v1 cable could request a free replacement with a v2 cable. You can identify the newer version by it's grey power button that wasn't present on the first version.

spacer.png

And there are two versions of the G2 headset itself. The updated one has a little better FOV and better hand tracking, which comes in handy if you do other VR games. Beat Saber was pretty frustrating on the first version because it would lose track of your hands too easily, and you'd miss stuff. 

@ dogmanbird, Thank you for the information, looks like the Reverb is.

@ eslader, Thank you also for that, although Beat Saber is not my thing