Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

I just watched United 93

Guest Rockcliffe

I just watched the movie myself and found it extraordinarily powerful.I trust that those who are criticizing have seen it for themselves before they pass judgment.BlairCYOW

I hope this make sense because frankly, I am not sure where to start with my response to some of these bizarre reactions to this movie. I can understand individuals may avoid the movie if they have a deep emotional connection to the events on that day, or they don't want to relive the events of that day (my wife and best friend fall in to that category). What I am having trouble with is those that demand complete historical accuracy in a film of this nature.IMO, United 93 is a movie that everyone should see - especially aviation enthusiasts. United 93 is not about voyeurism or gore, it is about history and honoring heroes. Is it historically accurate? Yes to the extent that the historically significant events in the movie are accurate. How much more accuracy do you need? The same goes for Schindler's List. I don't have to know what Oscar Schindler's favorite brand of toilet paper was to know that he was a righteous man.In the case of movies like Schindler's List, Hollywood does add and delete to make a compelling screen play but that doesn't mean that the importance of the film is diluted. In what way should Schindler's List have been more accurate? How would it have had a bigger impact?As for United 93, from what we know about the flight, what do you think happened differently? How do you know that it is not accurate? Sure, some can decide whether to stick their heads in the sand and deny history. Sometimes history isn't pretty. We need to be reminded of these terrible events so we don't allow history to repeat itself. Right now, world leaders are denying that the Holocaust even happened and comparing Jews to Pigs. I am sure Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has trouble with the historical accuracy of United 93 and Schindler's List as well.There is a large number of people that think the US government orchestrated 9/11 or, my favorite conspiracy theory, the Jews did it because no Jews died in on 9/11.And particularly for kingair315, I noticed that you are a vet. Thank you for your service. I'm sure you can appreciate that the people on United 93, in essence, fired the first shot in the the war we are in today. They didn't sign up for it, they were just living their lives and their backs were against the wall. They need to be honored. We will never know the exact events that happened on that plane but we know enough to give them the respect they deserve. That is what this film is about - honoring heroes and remembering why we are fighting.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Larry,I'll put it another way. Please answer me truthfully?Heaven forbid but, if one of your family had been one of the passengers would you still have enjoyed watching that movie?

Dave Taylor gb.png

"Heaven forbid but, if one of your family had been one of the passengers would you still have enjoyed watching that movie?"Dave, a few comments:1. 'United 93: The Families and the Film' is a one-hour bonus feature on the DVD release. Some of the actors who portrayed the individuals depicted in the film met with the family of the deceased and discussed the events of that day, the emotions, the recollections, etc. This feature was well done and offered a great deal of insight on how each dealt with the loss (my opinion...).2. Your comment, quoted above, asking 'would you still have enjoyed watching that movie' 'if one of your family had been one the passengers': I don't think anyone (family or not) would have 'enjoyed' viewing the loss of life scenario associated with the storyline but I think that the families of those who were killed on UAL 93 spoke for themselves and answered the question that you asked. All of the relatives of those killed were invited by the director to a private screening of 'United 93'; many attended and the opinions/comments of some (both prior to the screening and after) were recorded and can be seen in this bonus feature. 3. If you were to watch this feature, I think that you'd be prompted to modify your opinion. If you don't want to watch the movie I understand. I do however, strongly recommend that you obtain a copy of the DVD and watch the bonus material; I think your questions would be answered.-George