Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Interesting new FSX Airport

What going on at Cloud9, are they selling new airport scenery's thru their website or they now selling via Aerosoft? Here is the release concerning the new airport at yet another website. :-hmmmThe new airport is Zurich! :-eek Link: http://staff-zurichx.blogspot.com/ Btw...Aerosoft's London Heathrow is coming for FS9 (FSX in October) within the next 2-3 weeks!!!Link: http://forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13014Darryl

I think you are confusing Cloud9, a publisher, with the actual developers.They are separate things and, since the developers are freelancers, they are free to choose a different publishers as they see fit, or advertize an upcoming scenery on their website, even before a publisher has been announced. No big deal.

No small deal either. Remember the conversation we had about Cloud9 a while ago? Native FSX, etc... We talked about Florence X among other things. Same team, no mention of it on Cloud9's site. Available through Aerosoft. Now this, for Flight Simulator X and 9 to boot... Meanwhile the last product announced on Cloud9's site dates back to February. I can only welcome the apparent move away from Cloud9 as publisher. I also welcome a return to FS9, although there's a very good freeware alternative out there. And that's all I'm gonna say.

Mike...

>No small deal either. Remember the conversation we had about>Cloud9 a while ago? Native FSX, etc...Our position about FSX native code was correct, given the situation at *that* time. With regular FSX, it was both wrong from a performances point of view, and wrong for the workload involved, to work with FS9 elements in a FSX scenery, because the FS9 stuff in FSX was slowing down the sim unacceptably, and the workload involved to create an FSX scenery without FS9 stuff in it, and a separate FS9 scenery as well, was too much to make the whole operation profitable, taking into account the added workload against the added FS9 sales ratio. This was the situation at *that* time. And at *that* time was the only sensible thing to do.FSX post-SP1 changed a lot of things. Apart for the general better fps, the FS9 code intermixed with FSX code, no longer slows down as much as it used to be, and compatibility has been enhanced.So now (only with SP1), it IS possibile to create an FSX scenery using FS9 elements without killing the framerate, and it's also possible to give the FS9 elements some of the "FSX look" when used in FSX, using some tricks that didn't work pre-SP1.The side effect of this, since now it's possibile to create an FSX scenery with FS9 techniques (mainly custom ground), that the added workload ( hence, added cost ) of making an FS9 scenery out of an FSX project, is not so much higher comparing to what it used to be in FSX pre-SP1, since a significant part of the work is made in a FS9 style anyway.So, the decision of going FSX only was the correct one in FSX pre-SP1, since it wasn't profitable to add an FS9 version because, at *that* time, it would have meant making an entirely separate version, that was doomed to sell less anyway, but the developement cost would be the same as making a whole new product.Now, post-SP1, it's possible to use an hybrid FS9/FSX design approach, that has lowered considerably the workload (=cost) to make an additional FS9 version that, even if it will sell less anyway, its cost will be so much lower, that might still be in the black numbers, so it would be foolish not to get advantage of that.There's nothing ideological about supporting either sim. It all boils down to costs/benefits ratio. With FSX SP1, the equation has changed, so we'll take advantage of it, when possible. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to anticipate what MS/ACES is going to put in a Service Pack, expecially with something like FS9 backward compatibility: we discovered, by experimenting with it, only after SP1 was released, because it was added, I think, very late during the SP1 beta cycle.>Same team, no mention of it on Cloud9's site. Available through >Aerosoft. I'd found highly suprising if Cloud9 would advertize a scenery published and sold by Aerosoft.As I've said, that team is a freelance entity, and it's available on the market for any publisher willing to work with them. The only concern to a user should be the final quality of the work.

I know this is a bit off topic.Any idea if the Swiss photo scenery folks are going to release a high resolution (higher than their FS9) version for FSX? prefereably with autogen pack for it?I know their FS9 version would work in FSX. But I can't spend over $100 bucks for a FS9 version of their photo texures without autogens for FSX.I like building an areas with lots of add ons. I know, I can rely on Aerosoft to come up with plenty of addons for Germany. With the VFR France sceneries, I am in the process of building up France. UK is also taken care off.I would like to add Swizz and Austria to the mixture. Its contiguous to the French Alps from Geneva onwards to the east. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter